Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory shift hard disk from primary IDE channel to secondary IDE channal Post 302240779 by thekarsillo on Friday 26th of September 2008 02:11:34 PM
Old 09-26-2008
shift hard disk from primary IDE channel to secondary IDE channal

Wellcomes All,
some times ago I 've installed a Debian ditribution on an Hard Disk who was set as Primary Master. Few days ago, I 've decided to install another Hard Disk with a different Operating System. When I did that, I turned off the old hard disk, and I mouted the new one on the Primary IDE Channel.
Now the problem is that I can't boot the OS which is set on the Secondary Master, and every times I want to execute the boot form the hard disk who is on the Secondary Channel I have to switch it on the Primary .
So, I want to install a boot manager, but the problem is that the File System will be change name.... My ask is: what I have to do, and what files I have to modify, overwrite on the old OS (Debian) in order to work correctly?
Many thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The hard disk at channel 2, target 1 had a soft error.

Hi there! I received the following error message The hard disk at channel 2, target 1 had a soft error. The output of a system check reveiled the following (see entry <2,1> ): SWXCR xcr0 error counters: RAID Array 200 Controller Family Information Utility V1.03... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ivo
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The difference between SCSI & IDE Hard disks.

Hello agian ! What is the difference between SCSI and IDE hard disks ? I have Intel PC and when i check i have Generic IDE TYPE DISK0 is IDE hard disk is ok for Solrais ? or should i buy the SCSI hard disk ? Thanks Abid Malik (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abidmalik
3 Replies

3. AIX

IDE DISK ERR2 and LVM SA STALEPP errors in errpt

Hi, I'm getting the errors below in the errpt report for a IBM Blade server. I'm guessing there's a problem with one of the disks but don't know how I can confirm this. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Regards Gareth (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: m223464
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

primary-secondary sync problem

hi guys, i am new to this DNS business and i'm having a problem. the setup is bind 9.2.3 is installed on a sun solaris 8 server and is the primary DNS. men and mice suite is installed on another sun solaris 8 and that is our secondary DNS server. problem is recently the secondary DNS stopped... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbannout
0 Replies

5. Solaris

problem after adding new ide disk

Hi experts, i have added a new disk to my ultra 10 system, after that i am unable to boot the system, its not booting from disk neither from cd. please help! Regards (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
16 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Wrong BIOS IDE Settings on a SATA disk (AHCI)?

Hello, I wanted to share an experience I had today which was quite a learning experience and perhaps useful for others who may run into the issue at some point in the future. Basically, the scenario involves a OS which was installed on a machine which hardware-wise, had a SATA Drive. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: septima.pars
0 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Maximize IDE Hard Disk

Hi there! I am installing Unixware 7.1 to a new server. We usually use SCSI hard for this but since this will be used only for testing, I decided to use an 80GB IDE hard disk. I was able to successfully load the unix but found out that the 80GB hard disk was not maximized. The total hard disk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: limpinmd
1 Replies

8. Linux

Secondary linux dist WITHIN primary one

Hi New here so forgive my ignorance and inability to express myself in an informative manner ;) I have a Fedora distribution installed on my development computer. The system we build is meant to run on a slackware dist which is all fine and well. But due to our flow of deployment I would have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquam
2 Replies

9. SCO

declare disk driver for IDE hard disk

hi I've a fresh installation of SCO 5.0.7 on the IDE hard disk. For SCSI hard disk I can declare, for example blc disk driver using: # mkdev hd 0 SCSI-0 0 blc 0but it works for IDE hard disk? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
3 Replies

10. Solaris

DNS Primary and Secondary

hi there, i using salaris 10 as my DNS server. i have 2 dns server primary and secondary. if primary dns server i edit/update, the other secondary dns server must be sync too. How can i configure if dns server (primary) can sync the secondary? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tappetmus
1 Replies
atapi_ide(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					      atapi_ide(7)

NAME
atapi_ide - Interface for ATAPI or IDE (PC) devices SYNOPSIS
PCI bus CMD/Acer ATAPI/IDE adapter: bus pci0 at * bus ata0 at * controller scsi0 at ata0 slot 0 controller scsi1 at ata0 slot 1 PCI bus Cypress ATAPI/IDE adapter: bus pci0 at * bus ata0 at * bus ata1 at * controller scsi0 at ata0 slot 0 controller scsi1 at ata1 slot 0 PCMCIA bus ATA/IDE disk card: bus pcmcia0 at * bus ata0 at pcmcia? controller scsi0 at ata0 DESCRIPTION
Devices commonly known for their use on PC devices as ATA or IDE devices are supported using the SCSI CAM device driver. The ATA standard has also been expanded to include what are known as ATAPI devices. The SCSI CAM device driver is also used for those disks and CD-ROM devices. These devices may also be known under the names EIDE, ATA-2, Fast-ATA, or Ultra-ATA. Beacuse the ATA/IDE standard was not developed until after many of the devices that used this standard were produced, there are many devices which do not strictly comply with the standard. While it is possible some industry standard devices may appear to work, it is also possible they will cause hang or data corruption cases when used under more stressful situations. For this reason, it is recommended that only the supported devices be used. These devices have been tested and are certified for correct operation. ATAPI/IDE controllers allow the connection of two devices. These two devices are known as the master device and the slave device. If only one device is connected, that device must be the master (slave-only configurations are not supported). When used by the SCSI CAM device driver, the IDE master device is assigned SCSI id 0 for that controller. The slave device is assigned SCSI id 1 for that controller. No other SCSI ids are assigned on that controller. Most ATAPI/IDE adapters contain two channels (known as the primary and secondary). Each of these channels may contain their own master and slave devices. Therefore, a dual channel ATAPI/IDE controller may contain up to 4 devices (a master and slave pair on each channel). These 4 devices are then accessed as SCSI id 0 and 1 on each channel. Many SCSI operations translate perfectly for use on IDE. For example, read and write operations are the same. However, many SCSI disk mode pages are emulated by the IDE device driver. For example, you can display the SCSI inquiry mode pages using the following command: % scu show inq pages pages are created by the device driver to contain the long (full IDE) form of the device name, serial number, revision, and the operational modes of the device. Only a shortened version of this information is available with the standard SCSI inquiry command. Note also that the following command: % scu show pages Shows that the SCSI mode pages contain only partial information. Only that informa- tion (such as geometry) that the drive reports to the system is able to be reformatted into these emulated SCSI mode pages. Much of the information (such as RPM) is simply not available from the drive, and therefore not accurately reported. ATAPI devices are much more closely related to SCSI devices, and as such contain their own mode pages. Therefore, for these devices, the mode page values reported are those from the device, and no emulation is involved. ATAPI tape devices are not supported at this time. FILES
/dev/disk/dsk??? /dev/disk/dsk??? RELATED INFORMATION
SCSI(7), rz(7), and disklabel(8) delim off atapi_ide(7)