Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: GNU screen
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users GNU screen Post 302240491 by sentinel on Friday 26th of September 2008 12:30:45 AM
Old 09-26-2008
How can I change the prompt that GNU screen displays in .screenrc.

I've tried setenv PS1='\w: ' and
export PS1='\w: '
but it does not show up when the screen open.

man screen does give some options of set prompt and PROMPT_COMMAND but these give errors from the screenrc file. (I use bash)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

GNU Screen: Send to Multiple Screens at Once?

There is a feature that I used in KDE's Konsole that I really miss when I'm on a non-GUI server. The ability to "broadcast" what I type to all open windows. That led me to wonder if this could be done with GNU screen (since it can do a whole lot of other cool stuff)? Basically, it would be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

Compiling GNU 'screen' on HP-UX 11i

I finally gave up and installed the prepackaged version of 'screen', but I really want to get a better understanding of why my compilation of 'screen' failed on HP-UX 11i using GNU gcc (also from a prepackaged version). Whenever I would try to run './configure' to prep for building screen, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirection to GNU screen attached serial port

I'm using GNU screen as a terminal to connect with a usb serial port. eg. screen /dev/tty.usbserial . This works well enough for manual processes. Is there a way to redirect the output of a script running in another session to the stdin of this virtual terminal? ie. I want to repeatedly send some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: geoffjMontreal
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with GNU screen: Backtick and Caption.

I'm trying to get GNU screen to show the output of "uptime" for the host being accessed in the current window, but unfortunately, no matter what window I go in, it shows the uptime for the host I originally launched screen in ("adminhost"). Does anyone know how to get this to update from the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: akbar
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GNU Screen - viewing hardcopy (binary)

I generate a hardcopy (C-a h) of an ncurses screen which has some formatting on it (boxes, highlights). If I "cat" the file, i get only text. If I do a cat hardcopy.n | less , then i see a lot of control characters where the boxes are. most hardcopy.n shows me a hexdump of the file. less... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sentinel
0 Replies

6. HP-UX

GNU screen on HP-UX 11.23

I compiled GNU screen on HP-UX 11.23 and following the compile, I get the following error when I try to run screen Cannot find terminfo entry for 'vt100' By default the TERMINFO is not set, I found a reference that setting it might help. I tried the following but I still receive the same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

GNU screen: shortcut to go to tab 10,11 etc

Using GNU-Screen for a long time. C-a 1 2 n p to navigate to other tabs. This works till 9. I often have 10, 11 etc. Is there any way to go to them quickly ? Currently, i have to do C-a 9, C-a n which is quite a pain. Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sentinel
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

command line tool to disable screen lock and/or screen saver

Hi, I have a simple question : how to disable screen lock and/or sreen saver with command line with RHEL5.4 ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: albator1932
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

GNU-Screen Stuff problems

OPTIONS="java -Xms1024M -Xmx1024M -jar craftbukkit.jar" PROCESS=server01 screen -dmS $PROCESS $OPTIONS nogui # Starting the application screen -x $PROCESS -X stuff `printf "stop\r"` # Closing the application screen -x $PROCESS # Attaching to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zanax
3 Replies

10. Linux

GNU Screen key bindings....

After I do CTRL-" to show all of my screen sessions, I typically use the up and down arrows to navigate up and down. Suddenly this has changed, and instead only "j" and "k" seem to work for up and down. This has changed in the middle of my screen session. First one changed, and then the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akbar
1 Replies
i3lock(1)							   User Manuals 							 i3lock(1)

NAME
i3lock - improved screen locker SYNOPSIS
i3lock [-v] [-n] [-b] [-d] [-i image.png] [-c color] [-t] [-p pointer] [-u] DESCRIPTION
i3lock is a simple screen locker like slock. After starting it, you will see a white screen (you can configure the color/an image). You can return to your screen by entering your password. IMPROVEMENTS
* i3lock forks, so you can combine it with an alias to suspend to RAM (run "i3lock && echo mem > /sys/power/state" to get a locked screen after waking up your computer from suspend to RAM) * You can specify either a background color or a PNG image which will be displayed while your screen is locked. * You can specify whether i3lock should bell upon a wrong password. * i3lock uses PAM and therefore is compatible with LDAP etc. OPTIONS
-v, --version Display the version of your i3lock -n, --nofork Don't fork after starting. -b, --beep Enable beeping. Be sure to not do this when you are about to annoy other people, like when opening your laptop in a boring lecture. -d, --dpms Enable turning off your screen using DPMS. Note that, when you do not specify this option, DPMS will turn off your screen after 15 minutes of inactivity anyways (if you did not disable this in your X server). -u, --no-unlock-indicator Disables the unlock indicator. i3lock will by default show an unlock indicator after pressing keys. This will give feedback for every keypress and it will show you the current PAM state (whether your password is currently being verified or whether it is wrong). -i path, --image=path Display the given PNG image instead of a blank screen. -c rrggbb, --color=rrggbb Turns the screen into the given color instead of white. Color must be given in 6-byte format: rrggbb (i.e. ff0000 is red) -t, --tiling If an image is specified (via -i) it will display the image tiled all over the screen (if it is a multi-monitor setup, the image is visible on all screens). -p win|default, --pointer=win|default If you specify "default", i3lock does not hide your Mousepointer. If you specify "win", i3lock displays a hardcoded Windows-Pointer (thus enabling you to fuck with your friends by using a Screenshot of a Windows-Desktop as a locking-screen). SEE ALSO
xautolock(1) - use i3lock as your screen saver AUTHOR
Michael Stapelberg <michael+i3lock at stapelberg dot de> Jan-Erik Rediger <badboy at archlinux.us> Linux JANUARY 2012 i3lock(1)