Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX mkitab problem with /etc/inittab respawning Post 302240413 by Perderabo on Thursday 25th of September 2008 05:37:28 PM
Old 09-25-2008
That is a good link. Please reread this sentence: "The concepts of "foreground" and "background" don't apply to dæmons." a few times. There is no such thing as a daemon running in the "background". Foreground and background only apply to programs with a controlling terminal. By definition, a daemon has no controlling terminal. Yes you seem to have a daemon that is superfluously re-daemonizing itself, but if done correctly this is a harmless waste of time. I doubt that it explains 3 instances of the daemon running. Still, why not remove that code and see what happens? A program launched by "cron" or "at" will be a daemon and this might be an easier way to test it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

inittab solaris

Hi! Is it possible to add more ttys in Solaris, like with inittab in Linux? I want to switch between the ttys with Alt F1+F2+F3 .... like Linux does. How can i do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donald1111
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command is respawning too rapidly..message

Ran into a new one today at work...... I was told to start 2 servers which were shut down due to a power outage(I don't believe they were shut down incorrectly). After fsck, both console logins appear with the message: INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors. >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: finster
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP-UX respawning boot failure

Hello. System is a HP Visualize C3600 running X11 and after a power failure machine will not boot (see error messages below) From what I've read, this may be caused by a corrupted etc/inittab file. Solution suggested on other websites is to boot in single user mode and edit file inittab... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: westcoast
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

INIT: Command respawning too rapidly

INIT:Command is respawning too rapidly Check for errors: id:cons /usr/sbin/getty console console A solution I read about in a different HPUX Forums help pages on line, said to add the -h option to this command in the /etc/inittab file to correct the problem. I tried this and it did not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1bigdog
2 Replies

5. Solaris

inittab in Solaris 10

Hi, In Solaris 9 and below release we are using the rc script in inittab. I don't have much idea abt inittab in Solaris. In Solris 9 and below: We use rc3 script to start up the server. And we run database script before the rc3. os:23:respawn:/etc/init.d/database start >/dev/null 2>&1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
7 Replies

6. Solaris

inittab entry does not works

Hi, I have a solaris 10 server,which has a process running that communicates with other system.I have made following entry in the inittab file. PM15:s12345:respawn:/ncm/bin/communicator PM15 : Unique process ID s12345 : run levels respawn : if anytime the process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asalman.qazi
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What breaks inittab

Today there was a situation where processes running from inittab was broken. Can someone help me understand, how to find out, who might have stopped those processes? Or how does it get broken? G (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
2 Replies

8. AIX

problem to restart services from /etc/inittab in AIX6.1

hello, i have an AIX6.1.7.2 machine that it was upgraded recently from AIX5.3.9.4. when i kill system services that should restart automatically like /usr/sbin/cron it doesnt start. i checked my /etc/inittab file and i confirmed that this service is in respawn status so when i kill this process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inittab configuration

I am installing BusyBox on a device that does not have keyboard or serial connection, so I log into the system with SSH. I am in doubt about what to put in the inittab file. This is the content of the file: ::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS ::respawn:/bin/login ::shutdown:/sbin/swapoff -a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: richard78
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script calling by inittab

Hi to all , i wrote a small script and i add it to inittab to start the script during Startup. The script works fine , if i call it from the prompt but if it is call from inittab it is runnng too but it does not recognize system variable like USER , LOGNAME. Since i running out of ideas i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nadielosabra
12 Replies
DAEMON(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 DAEMON(3)

NAME
daemon - run in the background SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int daemon(int nochdir, int noclose); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): daemon(): _BSD_SOURCE || (_XOPEN_SOURCE && _XOPEN_SOURCE < 500) DESCRIPTION
The daemon() function is for programs wishing to detach themselves from the controlling terminal and run in the background as system dae- mons. If nochdir is zero, daemon() changes the calling process's current working directory to the root directory ("/"); otherwise, the current working directory is left unchanged. If noclose is zero, daemon() redirects standard input, standard output and standard error to /dev/null; otherwise, no changes are made to these file descriptors. RETURN VALUE
(This function forks, and if the fork(2) succeeds, the parent calls _exit(2), so that further errors are seen by the child only.) On suc- cess daemon() returns zero. If an error occurs, daemon() returns -1 and sets errno to any of the errors specified for the fork(2) and set- sid(2). CONFORMING TO
Not in POSIX.1-2001. A similar function appears on the BSDs. The daemon() function first appeared in 4.4BSD. NOTES
The glibc implementation can also return -1 when /dev/null exists but is not a character device with the expected major and minor numbers. In this case errno need not be set. SEE ALSO
fork(2), setsid(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2009-12-05 DAEMON(3)