Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX mkitab problem with /etc/inittab respawning Post 302240413 by Perderabo on Thursday 25th of September 2008 05:37:28 PM
Old 09-25-2008
That is a good link. Please reread this sentence: "The concepts of "foreground" and "background" don't apply to dæmons." a few times. There is no such thing as a daemon running in the "background". Foreground and background only apply to programs with a controlling terminal. By definition, a daemon has no controlling terminal. Yes you seem to have a daemon that is superfluously re-daemonizing itself, but if done correctly this is a harmless waste of time. I doubt that it explains 3 instances of the daemon running. Still, why not remove that code and see what happens? A program launched by "cron" or "at" will be a daemon and this might be an easier way to test it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

inittab solaris

Hi! Is it possible to add more ttys in Solaris, like with inittab in Linux? I want to switch between the ttys with Alt F1+F2+F3 .... like Linux does. How can i do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donald1111
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command is respawning too rapidly..message

Ran into a new one today at work...... I was told to start 2 servers which were shut down due to a power outage(I don't believe they were shut down incorrectly). After fsck, both console logins appear with the message: INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors. >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: finster
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP-UX respawning boot failure

Hello. System is a HP Visualize C3600 running X11 and after a power failure machine will not boot (see error messages below) From what I've read, this may be caused by a corrupted etc/inittab file. Solution suggested on other websites is to boot in single user mode and edit file inittab... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: westcoast
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

INIT: Command respawning too rapidly

INIT:Command is respawning too rapidly Check for errors: id:cons /usr/sbin/getty console console A solution I read about in a different HPUX Forums help pages on line, said to add the -h option to this command in the /etc/inittab file to correct the problem. I tried this and it did not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1bigdog
2 Replies

5. Solaris

inittab in Solaris 10

Hi, In Solaris 9 and below release we are using the rc script in inittab. I don't have much idea abt inittab in Solaris. In Solris 9 and below: We use rc3 script to start up the server. And we run database script before the rc3. os:23:respawn:/etc/init.d/database start >/dev/null 2>&1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
7 Replies

6. Solaris

inittab entry does not works

Hi, I have a solaris 10 server,which has a process running that communicates with other system.I have made following entry in the inittab file. PM15:s12345:respawn:/ncm/bin/communicator PM15 : Unique process ID s12345 : run levels respawn : if anytime the process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asalman.qazi
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What breaks inittab

Today there was a situation where processes running from inittab was broken. Can someone help me understand, how to find out, who might have stopped those processes? Or how does it get broken? G (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
2 Replies

8. AIX

problem to restart services from /etc/inittab in AIX6.1

hello, i have an AIX6.1.7.2 machine that it was upgraded recently from AIX5.3.9.4. when i kill system services that should restart automatically like /usr/sbin/cron it doesnt start. i checked my /etc/inittab file and i confirmed that this service is in respawn status so when i kill this process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inittab configuration

I am installing BusyBox on a device that does not have keyboard or serial connection, so I log into the system with SSH. I am in doubt about what to put in the inittab file. This is the content of the file: ::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS ::respawn:/bin/login ::shutdown:/sbin/swapoff -a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: richard78
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script calling by inittab

Hi to all , i wrote a small script and i add it to inittab to start the script during Startup. The script works fine , if i call it from the prompt but if it is call from inittab it is runnng too but it does not recognize system variable like USER , LOGNAME. Since i running out of ideas i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nadielosabra
12 Replies
volinstall(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     volinstall(8)

NAME
volinstall - Sets up Logical Storage Manager (LSM) environment after LSM installation SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/volinstall DESCRIPTION
The volinstall script sets up LSM special device files, and add the following lines to the /etc/inittab file: lsmr:s:sysinit:/sbin/lsmbstartup -b </dev/console >/dev/console 2>&1 lsm:23:wait:/sbin/lsmbstartup -n </dev/console >/dev/console 2>&1 vol:23:wait:/sbin/volreconfig -n </dev/console >/dev/console 2>&1 The first line calls the /sbin/lsmbstartup script, which enables LSM to start automatically on system reboot. The second line calls the /sbin/volreconfig script, which handles any pending encapsulation requests. If /sbin/lsmbstartup is not added to the /etc/inittab file, LSM must be started manually after system reboot. Note The volinstall script is automatically invoked by the volsetup, clu_create, and clu_add_member commands. Therefore, running the volinstall script to set up LSM is usually not necessary. SEE ALSO
inittab(4), lsmbstartup(8), volencap(8), volintro(8), volsetup(8), volinstall(8)