Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Get the no. of threads spawned in a C program Post 302240313 by kmehta on Thursday 25th of September 2008 11:57:00 AM
Old 09-25-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock
Do you want to know how many threads a process is allowed to create?
If that's the case then on AIX sysconf(_SC_THREAD_THREADS_MAX) will tell you the max number of threads allowed within a process.
Thats not what I am looking for. I have written a C program that spawns posix threads using pthread_create. I want to programmatically get the no. of threads spawned by the program at some instance of time in the program. There is no function in pthread.h that does this. So I was wondering if there is a way to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
If you tell us your platform and OS version, somebody here on this forum should be able to help you.
I am running my program on a Linux box that runs OpenSUSE 11.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

In unix how we can test or check race condition in c program by using multi threads

In unix how we can test or check race condition in any c program by using multi thread programming (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: afroze
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

In unix how we can test or check race condition in a c program by using multi threads

In unix how we can test or check race condition in any c program by using multi thread programming (1 Reply)
1 Replies

3. Programming

In unix how we can test or check race condition in c program by using multi threads

In unix how we can test or check race condition in any c program by using multi thread programming (5 Replies)
5 Replies

4. Programming

In unix how we can test or check race condition in a c program by using multi threads

1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding apache process id that is spawned by a wget

Hi, I have a situation where I am writing a programme that runs a series of long running PHP scripts that can take anything from 20 minutes to 10 hours to execute. I have a solution half implemented where I use via php exec(wget <location to command>) and get the process id back. This... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrploddy
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Suppressing output of a spawned telnet process

Hi, I'm trying to spawn a telnet process and trying to do some actions in the remote host using expect script. I would like to know how to suppress all the output in order the user using the script should not be able to see any actions done on the remote host. I tried using the "log_user 0"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun_maffy
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preparing a list of spawned processes

Hi All I'm currently trying to develop a script which will find the child processes of a process ID already passed to the script. I then need the script to look for spawned processes of these child processes and so on until it can't find any more. For example At the moment, I have to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: huskie69
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process behavior different when spawned from single terminal

So this one just plain confuses me. I have a bunch of somewhat CPU intensive processes that all communicate using a shared memory region. Some of these programs are threaded and some also change the scheduling to FIFO or round robin. The good news is that everything works as long as I spawn... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: talkingfennel
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing received value from send, spawned telnet session

Hi Guys, I'm completely new to bash and trying to write a script to spawn a telnet session to retrieve the RSSI value of my device and log the average value of the RSSI over 20 samples. I know that my command does return the RSSI value successfully but my bash scripting is letting me down. I'm... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bwkm
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh behavior in scripts spawned w/nohup

I have a need to run any number of identical scripts simultaneously, so I've created a driver script which reads a template script, edits these appropriately and then submits them via nohup. The spawned scripts all check to see at some point how many of their number are running and once the count... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: safedba
7 Replies
PTHREAD_ATTR_SETSCOPE(3)				     Linux Programmer's Manual					  PTHREAD_ATTR_SETSCOPE(3)

NAME
pthread_attr_setscope, pthread_attr_getscope - set/get contention scope attribute in thread attributes object SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_attr_setscope(pthread_attr_t *attr, int scope); int pthread_attr_getscope(pthread_attr_t *attr, int *scope); Compile and link with -pthread. DESCRIPTION
The pthread_attr_setscope() function sets the contention scope attribute of the thread attributes object referred to by attr to the value specified in scope. The contention scope attribute defines the set of threads against which a thread competes for resources such as the CPU. POSIX.1-2001 specifies two possible values for scope: PTHREAD_SCOPE_SYSTEM The thread competes for resources with all other threads in all processes on the system that are in the same scheduling allocation domain (a group of one or more processors). PTHREAD_SCOPE_SYSTEM threads are scheduled relative to one another according to their scheduling policy and priority. PTHREAD_SCOPE_PROCESS The thread competes for resources with all other threads in the same process that were also created with the PTHREAD_SCOPE_PROCESS contention scope. PTHREAD_SCOPE_PROCESS threads are scheduled relative to other threads in the process according to their schedul- ing policy and priority. POSIX.1-2001 leaves it unspecified how these threads contend with other threads in other process on the system or with other threads in the same process that were created with the PTHREAD_SCOPE_SYSTEM contention scope. POSIX.1-2001 requires that an implementation support at least one of these contention scopes. Linux supports PTHREAD_SCOPE_SYSTEM, but not PTHREAD_SCOPE_PROCESS. On systems that support multiple contention scopes, then, in order for the parameter setting made by pthread_attr_setscope() to have effect when calling pthread_create(3), the caller must use pthread_attr_setinheritsched(3) to set the inherit-scheduler attribute of the attributes object attr to PTHREAD_EXPLICIT_SCHED. The pthread_attr_getscope() function returns the contention scope attribute of the thread attributes object referred to by attr in the buf- fer pointed to by scope. RETURN VALUE
On success, these functions return 0; on error, they return a nonzero error number. ERRORS
pthread_attr_setscope() can fail with the following errors: EINVAL An invalid value was specified in scope. ENOTSUP scope specified the value PTHREAD_SCOPE_PROCESS, which is not supported on Linux. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
The PTHREAD_SCOPE_SYSTEM contention scope typically indicates that a user-space thread is bound directly to a single kernel-scheduling entity. This is the case on Linux for the obsolete LinuxThreads implementation and the modern NPTL implementation, which are both 1:1 threading implementations. POSIX.1-2001 specifies that the default contention scope is implementation-defined. SEE ALSO
pthread_attr_init(3), pthread_attr_setaffinity_np(3), pthread_attr_setinheritsched(3), pthread_attr_setschedparam(3), pthread_attr_setschedpolicy(3), pthread_create(3), pthreads(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2013-04-19 PTHREAD_ATTR_SETSCOPE(3)