Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting I would like to separate a line and display accordingly.. Post 302240190 by suri.tyson on Thursday 25th of September 2008 07:11:38 AM
Old 09-25-2008
Hi.. thank you very much for all experts... :-)

It really helped me.. however i could not figure out the exact figure to get the output..

Acutally iam greping for a last line in some log file... (ex: grep insert).. which inturns search for the last line using tail -1 and updates the another log files with the entires...
The line exactly looks like is... (below)

new 1: insert into sapqd1.sdbah values ('20080725011009','net','QD1','DB','0','20080725052004','netbackup','netbackup')

This is a single line from which am trying to get the Start, End and the RC=0 from it.. Now when i use this tr command i dont know how many single cotts and brack's should be given.. (please help)

I am using the below script to write the particular line to a log file...

ssh -l ora${sid} ${primaryhost} "tail -50 /oracle/$ORACLE_SID/newbackup/END_BACKUP.log" |grep 'insert' |tail -1| awk '{print $7}' >> ${RESULTFILE}

which prints from open braket's $7 from the log file.. i.e ('20080920212141','net','Q05','DB','0','20080921064023','netbackup','netbackup')..

Now if i want to read only the start and end time how do i write the tr command...

And also if possible can you please do me a favour to display the the same time in our own format (anything like below):

2008/09/20/ 21:21:41
Sat Sep 20 21:21:41

Any changes would be really appreciated..

thanking you in advance..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to show it on separate line

# echo $PATH /home/user01/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/ucb:/dist/perl5/bin:/dist/fsf/bin:.:/usr/dt/bin:/etc/dt/tbin:/usr/openwin/bin how to show the PATH in separate line, ie: /home/user01/bin /usr/local/bin /usr/bin:/bin /usr/ccs/bin /usr/ucb etc...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: userking
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

separate a line having particular field

hi i have a file containes data like, 20081013-030618.675199 D 17 Change state DATA_RECEIVE->EOD, RC=0 20081013-030618.868358 D 17 Reading data... 20081013-030618.868498 D 18 Received 5 bytes 20081013-030618.868537 U Buffer received: now i need to cut the 4th field i.e 17 and write... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

line separate (pls)

Hello everybody I made code to move some files to another place for example(I moved MM file TO BIN folder ) and the MM path I put it in different file e.g(0:HOME/unixstuff/MM) so my question is who I can separate the path line and use the number 0: and MM as parameter because if I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: falm
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a line with a separate line in code

I have a bunch of files that are like this: <htmlstuffs>HTML STUFFS</endhtmlstuffs> <h1>Header</h1> <htmlstuffs>HTML STUFFS</endhtmlstuffs> <h1>Unique</h1> <html stuffs>HTML STUFFS</endhtmlstuffs> And Here's what I'd like it to look like: <htmlstuffs>HTML STUFFS</endhtmlstuffs>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kason
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to separate a line with or without using newline command?

Hi, I am using Putty for unix shell scripting. I need some suggestions in splitting the 'output line' into two separate lines. Originally I am getting the input from another text file A. And when looking at the content in the text file A, the lines are separated in the way I want. After that I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: snr100
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] making each word of a line to a separate line

Hi, I have a line which has n number of words with separated by space. I wanted to make each word as a separate line. for example, i have a file that has line like i am a good boy i want the output like, i am a good (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read each line and saving the line in separate files

Hi Experts, I am having a requirement like this; Input file EIM_ACCT.ifb|1001|1005 EIM_ADDR.ifb|1002|1004 EIM_ABD.ifb|1009|1007 I want to read each line of this file and pass each line,one at a time,as an argument to another script. eg; 1.read first line->store it to a file->call... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashishpanchal85
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to separate one line to mutiple line based on one char?

Hi Gurus, I need separate one file which is one huge line to mutiple line. file like abcd # bcd # def # fge # ged I want to get abcd bcd def fge ged Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to separate one line to mutiple line based on certain number of characters?

hi Gurus, I need separate a file which is one huge line to multiple lines based on certain number of charactors. for example: abcdefghi high abaddffdd I want to separate the line to multiple lines for every 4 charactors. the result should be abcd efgh i hi gh a badd ffdd Thanks in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Output to file print as single line, not separate line

example of problem: when I echo "$e" >> /home/cogiz/file.txt result prints to file as:AA BB CC I need it to save to file as this:AA BB CC I know it's probably something really simple but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You. Cogiz (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cogiz
7 Replies
VM(1)								      mgetty								     VM(1)

NAME
vm - VoiceModem is the program for handling the voice modem functionality from shell scripts ACTIONS
beep options [<frequency [<length in 0.001sec>]]> diagnostics options device name (e.g. ttyS2 dial options phone number help play options [<file names]+> record options file name shell options [<shell script [shell options]]> wait options [<time in seconds]> devicetest OPTIONS
-c n use compression type n -d n set i/o device -t, -m, -i, -e, -s, -H equals to -d <2,3,4,5,6,7> -l s set device string (e.g. -l ttyS2:ttyC0) -v verbose output -w use off / on hook signal from local handset to start and stop recording -x n set debug level -L n set maximum recording length in sec -P print first DTMF tone on stdout and exit -R read and print DTMF string on stdout and exit -S s set default shell for shell scripts (e.g. -S /bin/sh) -T n set silence timeout in 0.1sec -V n set silence threshold to <n> (0-100%%) SEE ALSO
vgetty(1) POD ERRORS
Hey! The above document had some coding errors, which are explained below: Around line 30: You forgot a '=back' before '=head1' Around line 32: '=item' outside of any '=over' Around line 71: You forgot a '=back' before '=head1' perl v5.10.1 2010-04-04 VM(1)