Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers getline to read input from a user Post 302239961 by sdsd on Wednesday 24th of September 2008 09:42:23 PM
Old 09-24-2008
Thanks...scanf seems to have some problems though...on creating a child, if scanf had taken in a line, the child ignores scanf.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read user input from within a wile loop that is being fed from below

hi! i need to do a ksh script that uses a wile loop that is fed form below while read line do some things done < myfile inside the while loop i need to read user input to ask the user what he wants to do, but "read" reads the file, and not the standard input while read line do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: broli
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read a line of text from user input?

Hiii I wanna a read a line of text from standard input. The user enter data like this way name phone_no month1_salary month2_salary that is user enter the name ,phone no and salary of 2 months in a single line by giving spaces. I wanna add the 3rd and 4th fields ...ie add both... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Solaris- Read command from user input

I need to write a bourne shell script (solaris 10) that accepts input from the user. The input will be a command- any command like ls/ pwd/ mv etc. After the input is read, the shell must execute the command supplied by the user. I know we use read to play with user inputs. Just not sure how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PDManc
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash piped while-read and a read user input at the same time

Hi I am new to writing script and want to use a Bash Piped while-read and read from user input. if something happens on server.log then do while loop or if something happend on user input then do while loop. Pseudocode something like: tail -n 3 -f server.log | while read serverline || read... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MyMorris
8 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to read user keyboard input inside the case?

I need to Write a shell script that allows some system-administration tasks to be preformed automatically from a menu-driven interface. with automated following tasks: Copy directory tree Delete files or directories Output Information (this part is done ) *Copy directory tree The “Copy... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: femchi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using read to prompt for editable user input in Bash 3

Below is a simple script to prompt for user input while suggesting an editable default value at the prompt: shortname=user1 read -e -i $shortname -p "Please enter the username you would like to add: " input USERNAME="${input:-$shortname}" Please enter the username you would like to add:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - read does not wait for user input in some circumstances

Hello. I am running 2 scripts : script_1 and script_2 These scripts are run as root Script 2 contains : #!/bin/bash # # ~/bin/script_2 # E_BAD_PARAM=115 # date2stamp () { date --date "$1" +%Y-%m-%d___%H:%M:%S } # USER_NAME=$1 NB_PARAM=$# PARAM0=$0 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl to read user input

I am creating a bash that uses perl . The below code closes before the input is entered. If I run the perl as a .pl it is fine. What am I doing wrong? Thank you :). #!/bin/bash cd 'C:\Users\cmccabe\Desktop\wget' wget -O getCSV.txt http://xxx.xx.xxx.xxx/data/getCSV.csv print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell read command is not waiting for user input

Hi, i am working on one automation , for that i have writing one shell program that take user input in "while read line" block. but read command is taking value that is readed by While block. while read line; do command 1; command 2 echo -n "Do you want to continute > " read rsp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranvijaidba
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to read user input inside a loop

Hi, This query is a part of a much more lengthy script. I wish to look for all the files in a folder named "data" which in this case has two files i.e. plan.war and agent.properties. For all the files found under data I wish to ask the user as to where they wish copy the files to. Below,... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
14 Replies
scanf(3int)															       scanf(3int)

Name
       scanf, fscanf, sscanf - convert formatted input

Syntax
       #include <stdio.h>

int scanf( format [, pointer ] ...  )
       char *format;

int fscanf( stream, format [, pointer ] ...  )
       FILE *stream;
       char *format;

int sscanf( s, format [, pointer ] ...  )
       char *s, *format;

Description
       The  international functions and are similar to the standard I/O functions. The difference is that the international functions allow you to
       use the %digit$ conversion character in place of the I% character you use in the standard I/O functions. The digit is  a  decimal  digit  n
       from 1 to 9.  The international functions apply conversions to the n th argument in the argument list, rather than to the next unused argu-
       ment.

You can use % conversion character in the international functions.  However, you cannot mix the % conversion  character	with  the  %digit$
       conversion character in a single call.

In  all	cases,	uses the radix character and collating sequence that is defined by the last successful call to category or If the radix or
       collating sequence is undefined, the function uses the C locale definitions.

International Environment
       LC_COLLATE     Contains the user requirements for language, territory, and codeset for the character collation format.  affects the  behav-
		      ior  of regular expressions and the string collation functions in If is not defined in the current environment, provides the
		      necessary default.

LC_NUMERIC     If this environment is set and valid, uses the international language database named in the definition  to  determine  radix
		      character rules.

LANG	      If  this environment variable is set and valid uses the international language database named in the definition to determine
		      collation and character classification rules.  If or is defined,	their definitions supersede the definition of LANG.

Examples
       The following shows an example of using the function:
       scanf("%2$s %1$d", integer, string)
       If the input is `` january 9 '', the function assigns 9 to and ``january'' to

Return Values
       The function returns the number of successfully matched and assigned input fields.  This number can be  zero  if  the  function	encounters
       invalid input characters, as specified by the conversion specification, before it can assign input characters.

If  the	input ends before the first conflict or conversion, returns EOF.  These functions return EOF on end of input and a short count for
       missing or invalid data items.

Environment
       In POSIX mode, the E, F, and X formats are treated the same as the e, f, and x formats, respectively;  otherwise,  the  upper-case  formats
       expect double, double, and long arguments, respectively.

See Also
       intro(3int), setlocale(3), strtod(3), strtol(3), printf(3int), getc(3s), printf(3s), scanf(3s)
       Guide to Developing International Software

scanf(3int)