Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting KSH: recursion into subdirectories? Post 302239862 by Wotan31 on Wednesday 24th of September 2008 02:59:21 PM
Old 09-24-2008
Question KSH: recursion into subdirectories?

Hello, I'm scripting a newbie. I'm using KSH on HP-UX. I'm trying to write a script that will change a whole directory of file names into UPPER CASE.

I have the "convert to upper case" part of it working fine:

Code:
ls | while read filename; do
 typeset -u uppercase
 uppercase=${filename}
 mv ${filename} ${uppercase}
done

but it only works on the files in the current directory. I have a bunch of subdirectories and more subdirectories and I need my script to travel up through them all.

How does one do recursion into subdirectories using KSH?

Thanks for your input!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

recursion

I'm using the UNIX csh and i wish to use recursion to nav my way up (or down as it is) a given folder. My little test script is called "r" and takes a folder as argv (or $1) #!/bin/tcsh -f set allFiles = `ls -A $argv` cd $argv while ($#allFiles) if (-d... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gsjf
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

recursion too deep

I am running a korn shell script which has a recursive function. The script ran for 117 iterations and ended up with the following error "recursion too deep". what should be done to avert this? Thanks in advance Swamy p.s. I am on UNIX MPRAS V4 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamy455
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

A Question On Recursion In Ksh

Hi Folks, I would just like to know how recursion works in ksh or inside a shell in general. I created the following script, but it works(runs recursively) only for 64 times: ---------------- #! /usr/bin/ksh displaymessage() { echo "displaying count: $cnt " echo "wait for 1 second..."... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marlonus999
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with recursion in subdirectories

Hello ! I need some help with my simple bash script. This script removes all files ( with name given in $1 ) in current dir and subdirectories . The problem is with first loop in the script ( for file in * ; do ) . When I run the sript in my home directory this script display sometimes( ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotty_123
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Help Help in recursion

Hello every body. I am trying to find the factorial using the following code. But it is giving the syntax error. I tried very much but in vain. Thanks in advance for helping me factorial() { if then y=`expr $1 - 1` x=$(( $1 \* factorial $y ))... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: murtaza
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

diffrence in non recusion and recursion

Hi, If i have given to write a prog for factorial in C using recursion and without recursion which one is better in what condition and why ? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: useless79
2 Replies

7. Programming

Recursion

I want to halt a tail recursive function after certain validation. I want to come out of entire recursion without unwinding phase. How can i achieve that . The coding is done in C language. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshighanshyam
5 Replies

8. Programming

C Recursion (explain)

Hi, Question: how come the output is like that? Can explain to me abit. I am learning C. Thanks! #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> void printit(char line_of_char, int index); int main() { char line_of_char; int index = -1; strcpy(line_of_char, "This is a string."); ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: seede
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

script recursion

Can someone please explain me why the following script calls it self recursively: #!/bin/bash echo Called $0 while this not: #!/bin/bash echo Called $($0) Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: superpointer
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variable recursion

Not sure how to ask this question. I want concatenate strings and variable recursively into new variable. For example: infile01=/dir/subfolder/file01.txt infile02=/dir/subfolder/file02.txt infile03=/dir/subfolder/file03.txt for i in {01..03} do u=${"infile"$i} echo $u doneI got error... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
7 Replies
XMKMF(1)						      General Commands Manual							  XMKMF(1)

NAME
xmkmf - create a Makefile from an Imakefile SYNOPSIS
xmkmf [ -a ] [ topdir [ curdir ] ] DESCRIPTION
The xmkmf command is the normal way to create a Makefile from an Imakefile shipped with third-party software. When invoked with no arguments in a directory containing an Imakefile, the imake program is run with arguments appropriate for your system (configured into xmkmf when X was built) and generates a Makefile. When invoked with the -a option, xmkmf builds the Makefile in the current directory, and then automatically executes ``make Makefiles'' (in case there are subdirectories), ``make includes'', and ``make depend'' for you. This is the normal way to configure software that is out- side the X Consortium build tree. If working inside the X Consortium build tree (unlikely unless you are an X developer, and even then this option is never really used), the topdir argument should be specified as the relative pathname from the current directory to the top of the build tree. Optionally, curdir may be specified as a relative pathname from the top of the build tree to the current directory. It is necessary to supply curdir if the current directory has subdirectories, or the Makefile will not be able to build the subdirectories. If a topdir is given, xmkmf assumes nothing is installed on your system and looks for files in the build tree instead of using the installed versions. SEE ALSO
imake(1) X Version 11 imake 1.0.2 XMKMF(1)