Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Running an executable file
Top Forums Programming Running an executable file Post 302239808 by sdsd on Wednesday 24th of September 2008 12:14:04 PM
Old 09-24-2008
Running an executable file

I've created a c program and compiled it with gcc, in unix.
The file name is abc.c and it is run by typing the command ./abc

I have another program which creates a child process, and I need this abc program to run on that child process. I've tried execvp(), but it doesn't work.

How can I run such a file on a child process?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie question about difference between executable file and ordinary file

Hi, I am newbie in unix and just started learning it. I want to know what is the difference between an executable file and a file (say text file). How to create executable file? What is the extension for that? How to differentiate ? How does it get executed? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Balaji
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executable file

Hi everybody: I have strange problem. I have compiled a source code and created an executable file. This file I can use it into my PC, but when I copy this executable to my laptop this one doesn't work and the system tell me: bash: ./sbdart_unix: cannot execute binary file Somebody can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonet
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can i read a non text file in unix - ELF-64 executable object file - IA64

The binary file is ELF-64 executable object file - IA64. How i know that the source is Is there any comamnd in unix i can read these kind of files or use a thirty party software? Thanks for your help (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

executable file

Hi, I want to know that how can i read the content of a .exe file?? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ss_ss
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running a Script/Executable From Within a Script

Hello, I am new to Unix. I am trying to run a shell script (1node.sh) from within a Bash script that I created. I get the following error: command not foundh: line 30: 1node.sh I used Crimson Editor to make the Bash script. The weird thing is that 1node.sh will execute if I type 1node.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: modey3
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

running command prompt executable file in shell script

hi i have file extentioned with test.vbs. i am able to run this file n execute through command promt but i dont know how to run in shell script example: file name is test.vbs which contains strSoundFile = "C:\windows\Media\Notify.wav" Set objShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell") strCommand... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: atl@mav
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to stop direct running of executable

Dear Sir, I am using CentOS-5.2(64-bit) as an server side OS in a cluster with 32 slaves+1 Master. My question is, after compiling a file with ifort, I am suppose to get a executable(say a.out). I want my users to do ssh slave.local and then do ./a.out But is it possible to restrict... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: snbanerjee
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running Executable in Bash Script

Hey guys, so I've been trying to write a bash script called runSorter.sh that runs an executable that also takes in some parameters and outputs the results to a text file. The executable, sorter, takes in a number parameter. I want to make it so that you can input as many number parameters into... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duo11
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem running executable with ./

Hey all, I'm trying to execute a program and despite it appearing to be there, I keep getting this: -bash: ./aisdispatcher: No such file or directoryTo run it, I'm going into the directory where it is stored and running ./aisdispatcher...the result of which should just be a listing of options... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmd006
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running an executable from bash prompt

Hi, I'm trying to run a program from the bash prompt and I don't understand why it is returning with an error. Dig is my C program, and it takes in parameters J4, detect, 3 and 0182F98E var1="cygdrive/c/2i/test fixture/software/mccdaqtest/debug/Dig J4 detect 3 0182F98E" when I do ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: oahmad
6 Replies
CAPTEST:(8)						  System Administration Utilities					       CAPTEST:(8)

NAME
captest - a program to demonstrate capabilities SYNOPSIS
captest [ --drop-all | --drop-caps | --id ] [ --lock ] [ --text ] DESCRIPTION
captest is a program that demonstrates and prints out the current process capabilities. Each option prints the same report. It will output current capabilities. then it will try to access /etc/shadow directly to show if that can be done. Then it creates a child process that attempts to read /etc/shadow and outputs the results of that. Then it outputs the capabilities that a child process would have. You can also apply file system capabilities to this program to study how they work. For example, filecap /usr/bin/captest chown. Then run captest as a normal user. Another interesting test is to make captest suid root so that you can see what the interaction is between root's credentials and capabilities. For example, chmod 4755 /usr/bin/captest. When run as a normal user, the program will see if privilege esca- lation is possible. But do not leave this app setuid root after you are don testing so that an attacker cannot take advantage of it. OPTIONS
--drop-all This drops all capabilities and clears the bounding set. --drop-caps This drops just traditional capabilities. --id This changes to uid and gid 99, drops supplemental groups, and clears the bounding set. --text This option outputs the effective capabilities in text rather than numerically. --lock This prevents the ability for child processes to regain privileges if the uid is 0. SEE ALSO
filecap(8), capabilities(7) AUTHOR
Steve Grubb Red Hat June 2009 CAPTEST:(8)