Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: pattern matching in unix
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users pattern matching in unix Post 302239599 by diwakar_reddy on Wednesday 24th of September 2008 05:02:50 AM
Old 09-24-2008
pattern matching in unix

Task is to identify files like code.1 , code.23 and so on ... (the files which are ending with a number) but it should not match files like code.123abc. So the search will normally search for files with "code." and at the end we should extract for the correct match. Now I have to remove these files interactively i.e 'rm -i '. Now please let me know any oneliner in unix or perl to perform this task.
I tried : find . -name "code.[0-9]* -exec rm -i {} \; (but this will not work ..??)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern Matching in UNIX

Hello, I have a pattern like "XXXXXX XXXXXX" which i need to make search in a input file and Replace the matched pattern to a another pattern. This is the code i tried .. #!/usr/bin/perl print "Enter a File name :"; chomp ($file = <STDIN>); print "\n Searching file :"; if (system ("ls... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxmave
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern Matching problem in UNIX

Hello All, I need help I have a problem in searching the pattern in a file let us say the file contains the below lines line 1 USING *'/FILE/FOLDER/RETURN') ................. ................. line 4 USING *'/FILE/FOLDER/6kdat1') line 5 USING... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxmave
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

comment/delete a particular pattern starting from second line of the matching pattern

Hi, I have file 1.txt with following entries as shown: 0152364|134444|10.20.30.40|015236433 0233654|122555|10.20.30.50|023365433 ** ** ** In file 2.txt I have the following entries as shown: 0152364|134444|10.20.30.40|015236433 0233654|122555|10.20.30.50|023365433... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imas
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Pattern Matching:Unix Vs. Window (Is it OS dependent??)

Hi All, Below I am discussing the problem I am facing while using pattern matching in Unix & Window. Plz hv a look into it. ================ my $s="UPDATE A SET s="klkkk' ;" ; if ( $s =~ m/^*UPDATE+/i ) { print $s; } else { print "no match";} =================== Both should... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Niroj
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Pattern Matching in Unix

Hi, I am trying to replace a specific column values in a csv file with double quotes. Example: SNO,NAME,ZIPCODE,RANK,CARE_OF 1,Robert,74538,12,RICHARD JOHNSON, P.C 2,Sam,07564,13,% R.S MIKE, V.K.S 3,Kim, Ed,12345,14,@90 KMS, %TK Desired Output: SNO,NAME,ZIPCODE,RANK,CARE_OF... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: techmoris
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern matching on any special character in Unix

Hi, I have field in a file which would come with any special character, how do i check that field? Eg: @123TYtaasa>>>/ 131dfetr_~2 In the above example, how do I add pattern for any special character on the keyboard. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: printing lines AFTER pattern matching EXCLUDING the line containing the pattern

'Hi I'm using the following code to extract the lines(and redirect them to a txt file) after the pattern match. But the output is inclusive of the line with pattern match. Which option is to be used to exclude the line containing the pattern? sed -n '/Conn.*User/,$p' > consumers.txt (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: essem
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX awk pattern matching and printing lines

I have the below plain text file where i have some result, in order to mail that result in html table format I have written the below script and its working well. cat result.txt Page 2015-01-01 2000 Colors 2015-02-01 3000 Landing 2015-03-02 4000 #!/bin/sh LOG=/tmp/maillog.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: close2jay
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Binary pattern matching in UNIX

I think what I'm trying to do is pretty straightforward but I just can't find a way to do it. I'm trying to run a double pattern match in a three column file. If the first two columns match, I need to output the third. So in the file AAA BBB 1 BBC CCC 5 CCC DDD 7 DDD EEE 12 If the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: matthewndavies1
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX command to get the latest file and also matching pattern

we want to fetch the latest file in a given directory and also the file name should match the below pattern Example file name ->hrdata-2015-10-13-16-45-26.xml(2015-10-13-16-45-26- it is not current timestamp, we just need to check for the pattern) We expect the file will have the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwanath001
3 Replies
PTARGREP(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					       PTARGREP(1)

NAME
ptargrep - Apply pattern matching to the contents of files in a tar archive SYNOPSIS
ptargrep [options] <pattern> <tar file> ... Options: --basename|-b ignore directory paths from archive --ignore-case|-i do case-insensitive pattern matching --list-only|-l list matching filenames rather than extracting matches --verbose|-v write debugging message to STDERR --help|-? detailed help message DESCRIPTION
This utility allows you to apply pattern matching to the contents of files contained in a tar archive. You might use this to identify all files in an archive which contain lines matching the specified pattern and either print out the pathnames or extract the files. The pattern will be used as a Perl regular expression (as opposed to a simple grep regex). Multiple tar archive filenames can be specified - they will each be processed in turn. OPTIONS
--basename (alias -b) When matching files are extracted, ignore the directory path from the archive and write to the current directory using the basename of the file from the archive. Beware: if two matching files in the archive have the same basename, the second file extracted will overwrite the first. --ignore-case (alias -i) Make pattern matching case-insensitive. --list-only (alias -l) Print the pathname of each matching file from the archive to STDOUT. Without this option, the default behaviour is to extract each matching file. --verbose (alias -v) Log debugging info to STDERR. --help (alias -?) Display this documentation. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2010 Grant McLean <grantm@cpan.org> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2014-09-30 PTARGREP(1)