Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting textfile into 2 pieces, seperate by newlines. Post 302239468 by mcW on Tuesday 23rd of September 2008 06:24:33 PM
Old 09-23-2008
Theres no difference between "blabla" and "important text". I cant get a pattern for csplit. Any other ideas?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX Bits and Pieces

There are quite many nifty little tricks, which can make life easier for the AIX administrator carrying out typical tasks in his job. I'll start the collection, suggestions will be highly welcome and added here when they are messaged to me. No, i don't claim to have found out myself what stands... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

paste broken pieces of a record into one line

I am working with a file that has some of the records broken into several lines, I need paste the pieces back into one line. All records should start with numeric id, and presently all lines do start with id. The last field of the record is "telephone", so I need to make sure that each line starts... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: migurus
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random pieces of number

Hello folks, i have number for example 10 and i want to divide into 4 random pieces that may be (6+2+1+1). How can i do this via script i have random number 234951 and i want to divide into 31 pieces. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I split file into pieces with PERL?

How do I split file into pieces with PERL? IE file.txt head 1 2 3 4 end head 5 6 7 8 9 end n so on (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3junior
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Line gets splitted into 99 char long pieces

Hello, I have a script like follows. It reads a file, and with every line, it calls an "adapter" program, which just puts the line into MQ. When I run this locally, it works fine. When I run this on our company's server, one line is split into several pieces (99 characters long) and "adapter"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Adamm
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a 30GB XML file into 16 pieces

I have a 30 GB XMl file which looks like this: <page> <title>APRIL</title> .........(text contents that I need to extract and store in 1.dat including the <title> tag) </page> <page> <title>August</title> ....(text contents that I need to store in 2.dat including the <title> tag) </page>... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grab 2 pieces of data within a file

I am a newbie and what I have is a captured file of content. I want to be able to grab 2 pieces of data, multiple times and print them to the screen. DataFile owner: locke user: fun data size: 60 location: Anaheim owner: david user: work data size: 80 location: Orange my script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: greglocke
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assembling the Pieces of a Regular Expression

Hello all. I'm scripting in ksh and trying to put together a regular expression. I think my logic is sound, but I'm doing the head-against-the-wall routine while trying to put the individual pieces together. Can anybody lend some suggestions to the below problem? I'm taking a date in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael_K
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to separate sorte different characters from one textfile and copy them in a new textfile?

My first post, so don't kill me :) Say i open some textfile with some example like this. on the table are handy, bread and wine Now i know exactly what is in and i want to separate and sorted it in terminal to an existing file with another 2 existing lines in like this: table plane ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: schwatter
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to transpose pieces of data in a column to multiple rows?

Hello Everyone, I am very new to the world of regular expressions. I am trying to use grep/sed for the following: Input file is something like this and there are multiple such files: abc 1 2 3 4 5 ***END*** abc 6 7 8 9 ***END*** abc 10 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellnewuser
2 Replies
CSPLIT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 CSPLIT(1)

NAME
csplit -- split files based on context SYNOPSIS
csplit [-ks] [-f prefix] [-n number] file args ... DESCRIPTION
The csplit utility splits file into pieces using the patterns args. If file is a dash ('-'), csplit reads from standard input. Files are created with a prefix of ``xx'' and two decimal digits. The size of each file is written to standard output as it is created. If an error occurs whilst files are being created, or a HUP, INT, or TERM signal is received, all files previously written are removed. The options are as follows: -f prefix Create file names beginning with prefix, instead of ``xx''. -k Do not remove previously created files if an error occurs or a HUP, INT, or TERM signal is received. -n number Create file names beginning with number of decimal digits after the prefix, instead of 2. -s Do not write the size of each output file to standard output as it is created. The args operands may be a combination of the following patterns: /regexp/[[+|-]offset] Create a file containing the input from the current line to (but not including) the next line matching the given basic regular expression. An optional offset from the line that matched may be specified. %regexp%[[+|-]offset] Same as above but a file is not created for the output. line_no Create containing the input from the current line to (but not including) the specified line number. {num} Repeat the previous pattern the specified number of times. If it follows a line number pattern, a new file will be created for each line_no lines, num times. The first line of the file is line number 1 for historic reasons. After all the patterns have been processed, the remaining input data (if there is any) will be written to a new file. Requesting to split at a line before the current line number or past the end of the file will result in an error. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of csplit as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The csplit utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
Split the mdoc(7) file foo.1 into one file for each section (up to 21 plus one for the rest, if any): csplit -k foo.1 '%^.Sh%' '/^.Sh/' '{20}' Split standard input after the first 99 lines and every 100 lines thereafter: csplit -k - 100 '{19}' SEE ALSO
sed(1), split(1), re_format(7) STANDARDS
The csplit utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A csplit command appeared in PWB UNIX. BUGS
Input lines are limited to LINE_MAX (2048) bytes in length. BSD
February 6, 2014 BSD