Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SIGCHLD trace problem
Top Forums Programming SIGCHLD trace problem Post 302239195 by aaronwong on Tuesday 23rd of September 2008 05:08:35 AM
Old 09-23-2008
yes, there is really a pratical problem I want to fix...I'm sorry for my poor English that I did not express myself clearly with the word "illegal"...Smilie

what I meant is that in our system or according to our design requirements, there is a process(just like B in this example), its parent is A, and A will handle SIGCHLD from B. But we can only allow one process(C) to kill B, any other process killing B will be considered as an error case in A.

so we have to distinguish who kills this process B.

Actually, B here is ntpd service, we want to start it as A's child, let ntpd run in foreground mode. But if we re-configure ntpd, ntpd has to be restarted to reload the new configuration. So we allow C who has the privilege to re-configure ntpd to restart ntpd, but not other processes.

currently, I'd like to let C set a flag in /var/run/ntpd.pid file after re-configuration and before restart ntpd.

So I come here for help to see whether there is more smart ideas..Smilie

Thank you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Need help with SIGCHLD

Hello everybody, this is my first post on this forum. I have a program that has a child process that sleeps for 5 second and exit. I'm suppose to modify this program so that when the child exits, the parent reports the exit status of the child, so I also have to deal with SIGINT and SIGQUIT. Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Unlimited Sky
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

catch SIGCHLD signal in parent process

I want to catch SIGCHLD signal in parent process. I can't use wait() system call to catch SIGCHLD according to project requirment. Operating system linux 3.1 can any one have a solution for this. Thanking you, ranjan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjan
2 Replies

3. Programming

signal handler for SIGCHLD

Hi, I have an c++ application which uses the function fork and execvp(). The parent does not wait until the child ends. The parents just creates children and let them do their stuff. You can see the parent program as a batch-manager. I have added a SIGCHLD handler to the program: void... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jens
3 Replies

4. Programming

When is SIGCHLD is raised.

Hi, I have 2 processes X and Y. Y is exec() from X. In Y i have an exit handler, which is called when i return from main. With in exit handler i delete and object which in turn calls the destructor of the object, which terminates all the threads of Y. I believe that SIGCHLD is raised by Y as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: supersumanth
4 Replies

5. Programming

adv reqd on SIGCHLD on accept call

Hi, I have small problem. In my (concurrent)server programm, I am handling accept problem from client like this. sample of server code. /*******************/ end = 0; while (! end ) { sockfd = accept(...) if(sockfd == -1) { if (errno == EINTR) /* this is bcoz... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevenjagan
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About SIGCHLD

When the SIGCHLD is sent? SIGCHLD is sent either a child exits spontaneously (e.g. exit(0)) or it is killed ? thank you in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Puntino
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Who sent the process SIGCHLD ?

I want to know whicj process send the signal SIGCHLD to the parent's child. Thank you in advance, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Puntino
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Log Trace

Hi I would like to display only error messages from my log files while monotring application on my solaris box using tail command. Is there other way we can monitor please let me know? In general # tail -f "xyz.log' ---> this will display current activity of the logs, instead i would like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkrishnag
4 Replies

9. Programming

SIGCHLD interrupts its own handler

Hi. I have a program whose job it is to manage 15 child processes. Sometimes these children die (sometimes deliberately other times with a SEGV). This causes a SIGCHLD to be sent to my program which uses waitpid() in the signal handler to gather information and, in most cases, restart the child.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrichemont
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using SIGCHLD

I'm testing out how to use SIGCHLD and I had a question about intercepting the signal and executing an action in the signal handler. signal(SIGCHLD,countdown); What I'm trying to achieve is be able to printf(Hello) every second that child is set to sleep. I'm setting sleep = 3; so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
1 Replies
ntp-wait(1)							   User Commands						       ntp-wait(1)

NAME
ntp-wait - Wait for ntpd to stabilize the system clock SYNOPSIS
ntp-wait [-flags] [-flag [value]] [--option-name[[=| ]value]] All arguments must be options. DESCRIPTION
ntp-wait will send at most num-tries queries to ntpd(8), sleeping for secs-between-tries after each status return that says ntpd(8) has not yet produced a synchronized and stable system clock. ntp-wait will do this quietly, unless the -v flag is provided. This can be useful at boot time, to delay the boot sequence until after ntpd -g has set the time. OPTIONS
-n number, --tries=number Number of times to check ntpd. This option takes an integer number as its argument. The default number for this option is: 100 The maximum number of times we will check ntpd to see if it has been able to synchronize and stabilize the system clock. -s secs-between-tries, --sleep=secs-between-tries How long to sleep between tries. This option takes an integer number as its argument. The default secs-between-tries for this option is: 6 We will sleep for secs-between-tries after each query of ntpd that returns "the time is not yet stable". -v, --verbose Be verbose. By default, ntp-wait is silent. With this option, ntp-wait will provide status information. -?, --help Display usage information and exit. -!, --more-help Pass the extended usage information through a pager. -v [{v|c|n --version [{v|c|n}]}] Output version of program and exit. The default mode is `v', a simple version. The `c' mode will print copyright information and `n' will print the full copyright notice. EXIT STATUS
One of the following exit values will be returned: 0 (EXIT_SUCCESS) Successful program execution. 1 (EXIT_FAILURE) The operation failed or the command syntax was not valid. 70 (EX_SOFTWARE) libopts had an internal operational error. Please report it to autogen-users@lists.sourceforge.net. Thank you. AUTHORS
Harlan Stenn NOTES
This document corresponds to version 4.2.8p13 of NTP. This manual page was AutoGen-erated from the ntp-wait option definitions. ntp (4.2.8p13) 20 Feb 2019 ntp-wait(1)