Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris after ZFS can not restore VTOC of disk.. Post 302239164 by samar on Tuesday 23rd of September 2008 04:14:22 AM
Old 09-23-2008
Question after ZFS can not restore VTOC of disk..

I tried to use zfs .. only for test ..so when I take my test disks into zfs pool their VTOC changed .. and 7th slice does not appear now. How can I restore default VTOC to my disks.

my machine is x86 .. SunFire X4200 .. so this disks do not have slices like sparc machines .. they have additionally 8 and 9 slices .. but except this I lost my 7th slice:

Part Tag Flag First Sector Size Last Sector
0 usr wm 34 136.72GB 286722909
1 unassigned wm 0 0 0
2 unassigned wm 0 0 0
3 unassigned wm 0 0 0
4 unassigned wm 0 0 0
5 unassigned wm 0 0 0
6 unassigned wm 0 0 0
8 reserved wm 286722911 8.00MB 286739294

.. So how I can restore my 9th and 7th slice ?

10x all..Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Restore to disk from tape

I have been restoring from tape some old data. I have done quite a few tapes and have had no problems until now. The command I am running is "dd if=/dev/rmt/1hbn bs=1024 | tar -pBxF - ". This is the second tape have have come up with the error "Not enough space". This tape has a couple of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mtoombs
1 Replies

2. Solaris

ZFS Restore Attempt

We currently have T2000 servers attached to Sun 3320 Storage Arrays. We run a database on the 3320 devices with the storage created through ZFS. We use 3 RAIDZ2 pools and then create our partitions from those. Now onto the question. If our T2000 fails and we swap out machines is there a way... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: buckhtr77
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Local Full Backup and Restore ZFS

Hi men, I'm testing for my backup&restore job with ZFS. My server have two disks. I wanna do backup&restore job like ufsdump utility: Disk0 is rpool(root zpool) and disk1 (backup zpool) will be stored full backup replicates. When rpool zpool have problem, i can "boot cdrom -s" and use my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tien86
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Emergency - restore a deleted zfs snapshot

Hi, I deleted a zfs snapshot because it was as big as the original zfs. After the snapshot was removed, all the data in the original zfs is gone. How this happened? Can I restore the snapshot? Please help. Thanks a lot! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
5 Replies

5. AIX

Dd of disk contains vg and restore on another m/c

Hello gurus, I have a requirement of backup of a vg containing a file system. vg1 contains 3 LV each of 50G size. They are coming out from ~350G harddisk. and only 150G is being used. Now, i want to dd this hdisk and restore to another machine. I am not sure how to go about this. Can some... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhishekdave
3 Replies

6. Solaris

ZFS Slice disk

Hi, How to to make a slice and define as ufs from zpool? Please advice me. Thanks. ---------- Post updated at 01:53 AM ---------- Previous update was at 12:24 AM ---------- Before slice: Part Tag Flag Cylinders Size Blocks 0 root wm 0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mzainal
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Restore of Netapp FC lun targets used as the disks for a zpool with exported zfs file systems

So, We have a Netapp storage solution. We have Sparc T4-4s running with LDOMS and client zones in the LDOMS, We are using FC for storage comms. So here's the basic setup FC luns are exported to the primary on the Sparc box. using LDM they are then exported to the LDOM using vdisk. at the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: os2mac
4 Replies

8. HP-UX

How to restore from disk?

Our new rx2800 server is running HP-UX 11iV3. We have a cron script to perform an fbackup to a file on disk nightly. Now I'm trying to do a test restore, but I can't seem to find the correct way to specify the backup file as the source in frecover. Can anyone point me in the right direction? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jduehmig
5 Replies
read_vtoc(3EXT) 					    Extended Library Functions						   read_vtoc(3EXT)

NAME
read_vtoc, write_vtoc - read and write a disk's VTOC SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag ... ] file ... -ladm [ library ... ] #include <sys/vtoc.h> int read_vtoc(int fd, struct vtoc *vtoc); int write_vtoc(int fd, struct vtoc *vtoc); int read_extvtoc(int fd, struct extvtoc *extvtoc); int write_extvtoc(int fd, struct extvtoc *extvtoc); DESCRIPTION
The read_vtoc() and read_extvtoc() functions return the VTOC (volume table of contents) structure that is stored on the disk associ- ated with the open file descriptor fd. On disks larger than 1 TB read_extvtoc() must be used. The write_vtoc() and write_extvtoc() function stores the VTOC structure on the disk associated with the open file descriptor fd. On disks larger then 1TB write_extvtoc() function must be used. The fd argument refers to any slice on a raw disk. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, read_vtoc() and read_extvtoc() return a positive integer indicating the slice index associated with the open file descriptor. Otherwise, they return a negative integer indicating one of the following errors: VT_EIO An I/O error occurred. VT_ENOTSUP This operation is not supported on this disk. VT_ERROR An unknown error occurred. VT_OVERFLOW The caller attempted an operation that is illegal on the disk and may overflow the fields in the data structure. Upon successful completion, write_vtoc() and write_extvtoc() return 0. Otherwise, they return a negative integer indicating one of the fol- lowing errors: VT_EINVAL The VTOC contains an incorrect field. VT_EIO An I/O error occurred. VT_ENOTSUP This operation is not supported on this disk. VT_ERROR An unknown error occurred. VT_OVERFLOW The caller attempted an operation that is illegal on the disk and may overflow the fields in the data structure. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fmthard(1M), format(1M), prtvtoc(1M), ioctl(2), efi_alloc_and_init(3EXT), attributes(5), dkio(7I) BUGS
The write_vtoc() function cannot write a VTOC on an unlabeled disk. Use format(1M) for this purpose. SunOS 5.11 7 Oct 2008 read_vtoc(3EXT)