Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Best way to remove sections of text from a file Post 302238949 by joeyg on Monday 22nd of September 2008 11:52:12 AM
Old 09-22-2008
Tools I think you are perhaps still good with two account #'s

The egrep will still 'pass' since an account-to-keep will match.
Test and update on status.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

extract multiple sections of a file

I have a file that I need to parse multiple sections from the file. The file contains multiple lines that start with ST (Abunch of data) Then the file contains multiple lines that start with SE (Abunch of data) SE*30*0001 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rgentis
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract multiple sections of file

I have a file that I need to parse multiple sections from the file. The file contains multiple lines that start with ST (Abunch of data) Then the file contains multiple lines that start with SE (Abunch of data) SE*30*0001 ST*810*0002 I need all of the lines between and including these.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rgentis
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing file, yaml file? Extracting specific sections

Here is a data file, which I believe is in YAML. I am trying to retrieve just the 'addon_domains" section, which doesnt seem to be as easy as I had originally thought. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!! I have been trying to do this in awk and mostly bash scripting instead of perl... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rhije
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove sections of a xml file with sed

I've been trying to remove some lines of a xml file that looks like this: <parent> <child>name1</child> <lots_of_other tags></lots_of_other_tags> </parent> <parent> <child>name2</child> <lots_of_other tags></lots_of_other_tags> </parent> <parent> <child>name3</child> ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: viniciusandre
5 Replies

5. Programming

extract different sections of a file

Hi All, I have a file with the data 10;20;30;40;50;60;70;80;123;145;156;345. the output i want is the first fourth sixth elements and everything from there on. How do i achieve this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghu_shekar
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk removing sections of a file

I have a file that looks liek this (see below). can somebody provide me with and awk or sed command that can take a piece of the file starting from the time to the blank line and put in into another file. For example: How would I get the data from 10:56:11 to the blank line. Two things: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Omitting sections of file that contain word

I have a configuration file that contains hundreds of these chunks. Each "chunk" is the section that begins with "define service {" and ends with "}". define service { check_command check_proc!java hostgroup_name service_description ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove sections of a filename?

Hello, I need some help with renaming some files by removing a certain portion of the filename. The current file name is: ABC_2013186197_20130708_203556.95336 I need to remove the 5 digits after the first "_". The new file name should be: ABC_197_20130708_203556.95336 I'm not quite... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove sections based on duplicate first line

Hi, I have a file with many sections in it. Each section is separated by a blank line. The first line of each section would determine if the section is duplicate or not. if the section is duplicate then remove the entire section from the file. below is the example of input and output.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove the text between all curly brackets from text file?

Hello experts, I have a text file with lot of curly brackets (both opening { & closing } ). I need to delete them alongwith the text between opening & closing brackets' pair. For ex: Input:- 59. Rh1 Qe4 {(Qf5-e4 Qd8-g8+ Kg6-f5 Qg8-h7+ Kf5-e5 Qh7-e7+ Ke5-f5 Qe7-d7+ Qe4-e6 Qd7-h7+ Qe6-g6... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
6 Replies
ZIPGREP(1L)															       ZIPGREP(1L)

NAME
zipgrep - search files in a ZIP archive for lines matching a pattern SYNOPSIS
zipgrep [egrep_options] pattern file[.zip] [file(s) ...] [-x xfile(s) ...] DESCRIPTION
zipgrep will search files within a ZIP archive for lines matching the given string or pattern. zipgrep is a shell script and requires egrep(1) and unzip(1L) to function. Its output is identical to that of egrep(1). ARGUMENTS
pattern The pattern to be located within a ZIP archive. Any string or regular expression accepted by egrep(1) may be used. file[.zip] Path of the ZIP archive. (Wildcard expressions for the ZIP archive name are not supported.) If the literal filename is not found, the suffix .zip is appended. Note that self-extracting ZIP files are supported, as with any other ZIP archive; just specify the .exe suffix (if any) explicitly. [file(s)] An optional list of archive members to be processed, separated by spaces. If no member files are specified, all members of the ZIP archive are searched. Regular expressions (wildcards) may be used to match multiple members: * matches a sequence of 0 or more characters ? matches exactly 1 character [...] matches any single character found inside the brackets; ranges are specified by a beginning character, a hyphen, and an end- ing character. If an exclamation point or a caret (`!' or `^') follows the left bracket, then the range of characters within the brackets is complemented (that is, anything except the characters inside the brackets is considered a match). (Be sure to quote any character that might otherwise be interpreted or modified by the operating system.) [-x xfile(s)] An optional list of archive members to be excluded from processing. Since wildcard characters match directory separators (`/'), this option may be used to exclude any files that are in subdirectories. For example, ``zipgrep grumpy foo *.[ch] -x */*'' would search for the string ``grumpy'' in all C source files in the main directory of the ``foo'' archive, but none in any subdirectories. Without the -x option, all C source files in all directories within the zipfile would be searched. OPTIONS
All options prior to the ZIP archive filename are passed to egrep(1). SEE ALSO
egrep(1), unzip(1L), zip(1L), funzip(1L), zipcloak(1L), zipinfo(1L), zipnote(1L), zipsplit(1L) URL
The Info-ZIP home page is currently at http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/ or ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/ . AUTHORS
zipgrep was written by Jean-loup Gailly. Info-ZIP 28 February 2005 ZIPGREP(1L)