Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting change home directory by modifying passwd Post 302238869 by tjay83 on Monday 22nd of September 2008 08:37:58 AM
Old 09-22-2008
useradd temp

cat /etc/ passwd
temp:x:502:505::/home/temp:/bin/bash

After I run the script with the following variables:
username: temp
new_path: /home/temp

cat /etc/passwd
temp:x:502:505::temp:x:502:505:::/bin/bash

I think there is something wrong with the script.
also, home directory should be /home/temp

Last edited by tjay83; 09-22-2008 at 12:43 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

/etc/passwd $HOME

I would like to add a user with the following $HOME: /var/abc/AB!CD!DE/error yes - this directory actually exists on the system. I would like the user to log into the above directory. I have tried wrapping in single quotes (`) as well as using the escape (\) but I guess that I do not have... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrewrgrayjr
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

force to change password(by modifying /etc/shadow)

hi by modifying /etc/shadow how can I Force a change of password so that user has at least 1 week to login? I did it by using: echo "enter username to force password change" read user; chage -M 7 $user; How can I do it by modifying /etc/shadow?? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
6 Replies

3. Solaris

how to change /export/home/user dir to /home /user in solaris

Hi all i am using solaris 10, i am creating user with useradd -d/home/user -m -s /bin/sh user user is created with in the following path /export/home/user (auto mount) i need the user to be created like this (/home as default home directory ) useradd -d /home/user -m -s /bin/sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
2 Replies

4. Solaris

How to recycle old passwords by modifying /etc/passwd file ?

hi, has anyone here tried to recycle old passwords by copying something out of the passwd file and paste them back into the same passwd file ? can it work this way ? some of our applications passwords are expiring but they cannot be change due to application concerns, so therefore we must... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Exposure
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying sed to only change last occurrence.

I'm using sed to switch integers (one or more digits) to the other side of the ':' colon. For example: "47593:23421" would then be "23421:47593". The way it functions right now, it is messing my settings file to use with gnuplot. The current command is: sed 's/\(*\):\(*\)/\2:\1/' out3 >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: D2K
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract user accounts and home directory from /etc/passwd.

I am trying to obtain all user accounts and their respective home directories. /etc/passwd contains the required information, but I want to filter it to only show the uid,username and home directory path. I am working on a Solaris 11 machine. I made a little headway so far, but I got stuck... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change sFTP home directory for particular user and from specific server

Hello Folks, Of course i came here for your favour :) How to set a defalult home directory for sFTP login ( at present users land in to their home directrory) when they connect from specific server. When server(A) sFTP's to Linux server(B) they land to thier home directory. I want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thala
5 Replies

8. Solaris

SunOS confusing root directory and user home directory

Hello, I've just started using a Solaris machine with SunOS 5.10. After the machine is turned on, I open a Console window and at the prompt, if I execute a pwd command, it tells me I'm at my home directory (someone configured "myuser" as default user after init). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: egyassun
2 Replies
userdel(1M)                                               System Administration Commands                                               userdel(1M)

NAME
userdel - delete a user's login from the system SYNOPSIS
userdel [-r] login DESCRIPTION
The userdel utility deletes a user account from the system and makes the appropriate account-related changes to the system file and file system. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -r Remove the user's home directory from the system. This directory must exist. The files and directories under the home directory will no longer be accessible following successful execution of the command. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: login An existing login name to be deleted. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 2 Invalid command syntax. A usage message for the userdel command is displayed. 6 The account to be removed does not exist. 8 The account to be removed is in use. 10 Cannot update the /etc/group or /etc/user_attr file but the login is removed from the /etc/passwd file. 12 Cannot remove or otherwise modify the home directory. FILES
/etc/passwd system password file /etc/shadow system file contain users' encrypted passwords and related information /etc/group system file containing group definitions /etc/user_attr system file containing additional user attributes ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
auths(1), passwd(1), profiles(1), roles(1), users(1B), groupadd(1M), groupdel(1M), groupmod(1M), logins(1M), roleadd(1M), rolemod(1M), useradd(1M), userdel(1M), usermod(1M), passwd(4), prof_attr(4), user_attr(4), attributes(5) NOTES
The userdel utility only deletes an account definition that is in the local /etc/group, /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, and /etc/user_attr file. file. If a network name service such as NIS or NIS+ is being used to supplement the local /etc/passwd file with additional entries, userdel cannot change information supplied by the network name service. SunOS 5.10 8 Sep 1999 userdel(1M)