Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming int *ptr + max possible value Post 302238805 by era on Monday 22nd of September 2008 03:47:13 AM
Old 09-22-2008
There's a separate API for file sizes. size_t I believe is meant for sizes of in-memory structures. ftell(3) for example returns a long. lseek(3) returns an off_t. See further <sys/types.h> documentation e.g. <sys/types.h>

The idea that files could not be larger than a particular offset is a source of many bugs and growing pains. Some older file systems could not cope with large files, which back then meant bigger than 2GB or 4GB. We are beginning to see this again as storage capacities are approaching the next boundary. It's the good old "640kb ought to be enough for everybody" syndrome.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Reg: char ptr - Coredumps

#include <stdio.h> void main() { int Index=1; char *Type=NULL; Type = (char *)Index; printf("%s",Type); } Getting coredump (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaysabari
5 Replies

2. Programming

difference between int ** func() and int *& func()

What is the difference between int** func() and int*& func(). Can you please explain it with suitable example. Thanks, Devesh. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: devesh
1 Replies

3. Programming

file ptr.

Is there any way to know the filename from an available file pointer. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bankpro
2 Replies

4. AIX

Configuring Color Laser ptr in AIX

Hi All, I have Network color laser printer which is to be configured in AIX5L. The Model of the printer is OKI C3200. Will it is supported with AIX 5..? I could not find any drivers for this. Will any compatible drivers are available for this printer... I tried with the default drivers hplj-4... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: helloajith
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

int open(const char *pathname, int flags, mode_t mode) doubt...

hello everybody! I want to create a file with permissions for read, write, and execute to everybody using C, so I write this code: #include <stdio.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <fcntl.h> int main(){ int fileDescriptor; fileDescriptor =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csnmgeek
2 Replies

6. Programming

Handle int listen(int sockfd, int backlog) in TCP

Hi, from the manual listen(2): listen for connections on socket - Linux man page It has a parameter called backlog and it limits the maximum length of queue of pending list. If I set backlog to 128, is it means no more than 128 packets can be handled by server? If I have three... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sehang
3 Replies

7. Programming

'int air_date' '%'?

int air_date='20100103'; //2010 - Jan - 03 /* My goal here is to subtract a day. */ int day = air_date % 100; //?????? Is this right? //Are there any functions time/date for this type of date format? :cool: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sepoto
7 Replies

8. Solaris

how to get rid off the warning: CC: Warning: Option -ptr not supported?

Hi I am getting the below error /bin/mkdir -p ./obj/SunOS10_32/SingleThread/Debug/CC_5_3 /bin/mkdir -p ./bin/SunOS10_32/SingleThread/Debug/CC_5_3 CC -c -ptr./obj/SunOS10_32/SingleThread/Debug/CC_5_3 -V -I/opt/tuxedo/tuxedo11gR1/include -I. -I../../OBED_SA_1-27a/include... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deboprio
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Cannot resolve PTR record issue

Hi guys, I am currently receiving the following output in /var/log/syslog and is occurring every second leading to /var directory being full after every 2 days. Aug 20 17:32:29 opaldn1 sendmail: r7KCOlQm002517: ruleset=check_rcpt, arg1=<postmaster@silverapp6>, relay=, reject=450 4.4.0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
3 Replies
FTELL(P)						     POSIX Programmer's Manual							  FTELL(P)

NAME
ftell, ftello - return a file offset in a stream SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> long ftell(FILE *stream); off_t ftello(FILE *stream); DESCRIPTION
The ftell() function shall obtain the current value of the file-position indicator for the stream pointed to by stream. The ftello() function shall be equivalent to ftell(), except that the return value is of type off_t. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, ftell() and ftello() shall return the current value of the file-position indicator for the stream measured in bytes from the beginning of the file. Otherwise, ftell() and ftello() shall return -1, cast to long and off_t respectively, and set errno to indicate the error. ERRORS
The ftell() and ftello() functions shall fail if: EBADF The file descriptor underlying stream is not an open file descriptor. EOVERFLOW For ftell(), the current file offset cannot be represented correctly in an object of type long. EOVERFLOW For ftello(), the current file offset cannot be represented correctly in an object of type off_t. ESPIPE The file descriptor underlying stream is associated with a pipe or FIFO. The ftell() function may fail if: ESPIPE The file descriptor underlying stream is associated with a socket. The following sections are informative. EXAMPLES
None. APPLICATION USAGE
None. RATIONALE
None. FUTURE DIRECTIONS
None. SEE ALSO
fgetpos() , fopen() , fseek() , lseek() , the Base Definitions volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, <stdio.h> COPYRIGHT
Portions of this text are reprinted and reproduced in electronic form from IEEE Std 1003.1, 2003 Edition, Standard for Information Technol- ogy -- Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX), The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6, Copyright (C) 2001-2003 by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc and The Open Group. In the event of any discrepancy between this version and the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard, the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard is the referee document. The original Standard can be obtained online at http://www.opengroup.org/unix/online.html . IEEE
/The Open Group 2003 FTELL(P)