Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Need Help in Cutting a word
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need Help in Cutting a word Post 302238696 by raghav1982 on Sunday 21st of September 2008 12:07:28 PM
Old 09-21-2008
Thanks for your reply

thats not my id , its my server name .. and if i cannot cut those server name is there a possibility to create in link from the source directory to target .

so that when i run the shell script it calls this executable and performs the functions ..

i have only two servers one is unix11 and unix 12 .. in these i have the executables in bin directory . If i create a link in my local directory will that work ???

also let me know how to create a link for a file so that it would be very helpful !!!

Thanks again for your help !!!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cutting

Is there any cut or awk function that would allow me to take the last part of a path away and save the list into a file? I wrote: find $HOME -mtime +3 > fileList cat fileList /home/102/s/jn/folder/HW /home/102/s/jn/otherfolder/B.txt /home/102/s/jn/folder4/3dA/w... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: terms5
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can a shell script pull the first word (or nth word) off each line of a text file?

Greetings. I am struggling with a shell script to make my life simpler, with a number of practical ways in which it could be used. I want to take a standard text file, and pull the 'n'th word from each line such as the first word from a text file. I'm struggling to see how each line can be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricky
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut first line only from a text near a specific column without cutting a word

First I have to say thank you to this community and this forum. You helped me very much builing several useful scripts. Now, I can't get a solution the following problem, I'm stuck somehow. Maybe someone has an idea. In short, I dump a site via lynx and pipe the output in a file. I need to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To read data word by word from given file & storing in variables

File having data in following format : file name : file.txt -------------------- 111111;name1 222222;name2 333333;name3 I want to read this file so that I can split these into two paramaters i.e. 111111 & name1 into two different variables(say value1 & value2). i.e val1=11111 &... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjoshi98
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Cutting character(s) from a word

Hello, How to cut a char(s) for a word using perl?? I want to cut the number(s) from these sample words: Port-channel24 Po78 Po99 Port-channel34 $word = "Port-channel24"; I want to put only the number in a varible. Appreaciate using simple way in order to use it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmed_zaher
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find EXACT word in files, just the word: no prefix, no suffix, no 'similar', just the word

I have a file that has the words I want to find in other files (but lets say I just want to find my words in a single file). Those words are IDs, so if my word is ZZZ4, outputs like aaZZZ4, ZZZ4bb, aaZZZ4bb, ZZ4, ZZZ, ZyZ4, ZZZ4.8 (or anything like that) WON'T BE USEFUL. I need the whole word... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chicchan
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Substring without cutting off word

Can someone help me to make this code without cutting off words ni the string? awk '{for(i=1;i<length;i+=100) print substr($0,i,100)}' Thank you! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanantonio7777
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for the word and exporting 35 characters after that word using shell script

I have a file input.txt which have loads of weird characters, html tags and useful materials. I want to display 35 characters after the word "description" excluding weird characters like $&lmp and without html tags in the new file output.txt. Help me. Thanx in advance. I have attached the input... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachit adhikari
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a word and increment the number in the word & save into new files

Hi All, I am looking for a perl/awk/sed command to auto-increment the numbers line in file, P1.tcl: run_build_model sparc_ifu_dec run_drc set_faults -model path_delay -atpg_effectiveness -fault_coverage add_delay_paths P1 set_atpg -abort_limit 1000 run_atpg -ndetects 1000 I would like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jypark22
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to search for a word in column header that fully matches the word not partially in awk?

I have a multicolumn text file with header in the first row like this The headers are stored in an array called . which contains I want to search for each elements of this array from that multicolumn text file. And I am using this awk approach for ii in ${hdr} do gawk -vcol="$ii" -F... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Atta
1 Replies
GETLOGIN(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual						       GETLOGIN(2)

NAME
getlogin, setlogin -- get/set login name SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char * getlogin(void); int setlogin(const char *name); DESCRIPTION
The getlogin() routine returns the login name of the user associated with the current session, as previously set by setlogin(). The name is normally associated with a login shell at the time a session is created, and is inherited by all processes descended from the login shell. (This is true even if some of those processes assume another user ID, for example when su(1) is used.) Setlogin() sets the login name of the user associated with the current session to name. This call is restricted to the super-user, and is normally used only when a new session is being created on behalf of the named user (for example, at login time, or when a remote shell is invoked). RETURN VALUES
If a call to getlogin() succeeds, it returns a pointer to a null-terminated string in a static buffer. If the name has not been set, it returns NULL. If a call to setlogin() succeeds, a value of 0 is returned. If setlogin() fails, a value of -1 is returned and an error code is placed in the global location errno. ERRORS
The following errors may be returned by these calls: [EFAULT] The name parameter gave an invalid address. [EINVAL] The name parameter pointed to a string that was too long. Login names are limited to MAXLOGNAME (from <sys/param.h>) characters, currently 12. [EPERM] The caller tried to set the login name and was not the super-user. SEE ALSO
setsid(2) BUGS
Login names are limited in length by setlogin(). However, lower limits are placed on login names elsewhere in the system (UT_NAMESIZE in <utmp.h>). In earlier versions of the system, getlogin() failed unless the process was associated with a login terminal. The current implementation (using setlogin()) allows getlogin to succeed even when the process has no controlling terminal. In earlier versions of the system, the value returned by getlogin() could not be trusted without checking the user ID. Portable programs should probably still make this check. HISTORY
The getlogin() function first appeared in 4.4BSD. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution June 9, 1993 4.2 Berkeley Distribution