Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting convert Regular decimals to Packed decimals Post 302238375 by drl on Friday 19th of September 2008 07:17:41 PM
Old 09-19-2008
Hi.

If you are comfortable in perl, there is this module at http://cpan.org/:
Code:
Convert::IBM390 -- functions for manipulating mainframe data

providing, for example:
Quote:
packeb TEMPLATE LIST

This function is much like Perl's built-in "pack". It takes a list of values and packs it into an EBCDIC record (structure). If called in list context, it will return a list of one element. The TEMPLATE is patterned after Perl's pack template but allows fewer options. The following characters are allowed in the template:
P (1) Packed-decimal field with F signs for positive numbers
(sometimes called "unsigned") (default length = 8)
You might also Google for packed decimal unix

I have used a COBOL compiler on Linux: OpenCOBOL - an open-source COBOL compiler ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting the average of a list of decimals.

Whats up fellas, I am new here... just wanted to see if anyone knew a way to get an avergage of a list of numbers... I am trying to use bc (number of records in file divided by sum of all records in file) but it is not giving me accurate data. IE: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djsal
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

EBCDIC to ASCII conv for packed decimals.

By using dd command in Unix one can convert EBCDIC file into ASCII. It fails when it comes to having packed decimals within the EBCDIC file. The resultant of it has garbage chars. How can we have EBCDIC file convertedinto ASCII, which has packed decimal data in it? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Req on how to convert hex numbers to decimals

Hi, If i have an input as c1:41 c2:0x0000.00046b3e I want to make output display as c1:41 c2:224062 . Basically convert first part 0x0000 (as hex) to decimal which is 0 and convert second part 0x00046b3e (as hex) to decimal which is 289598 and as such add both parts namely... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hare
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

handle decimals

Hi All, How we can handle decimals in (Float) in UNIX. a=73 b=5 c=`expr a / b` i am getting 14 but i need full 14.6 . Can any one help me pls? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subin_bala
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne and decimals??

I need to get 15% of the variable exer1 to be added to other exercises so far, i've got exer1=$1 aver=`expr $exer \* .15` but i keep getting an error that an integer value was expected. Is there anyway around this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kdyzsa
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to multiple decimals in linux

How to multiple decimals in Linux? When I do it like this i get an error message echo "$((1 * 1.1))" -bash: 1 * 1.1: syntax error in expression (error token is ".1") (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3junior
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Decimals in TCSH

Hello, I want to run a loop with non-integer values (which I know I can't) so I've created a loop of integers and divided it by 10. However, these values are always rounded down to 1 significant figure. How do I get the script to keep and use the decimal value? My script is as follows #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DFr0st
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regarding Decimals in Cshell

Hello... I am new to unix and I am wondering if in a C-shell script , Are we supposed to use only whole numbers........ for example..if a program needs to calculate the average of some numbers........ @ avg = (($1 +$2 + $3)/3)) is returning a whole number.........How can a decimal be achieved... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravindra22
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Round up the decimals

Hi All, I would like to do the following in the shell script 561.76 to 562 I tried using this echo 'scale=0; 749 * 75 /100 ' | bc but just returned only 561 Please help me . I appreciate your help Thanks rajeevm (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeevm
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ebcidic to ASCII (Packed decimals are there)

I have a input file which is EBCIDIC and it has packed decimals. Can anyone help me to convert EBCIDIC file to ASCII(Need to convert even Packed decimal values also to normal format) (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anusha_Reddy
12 Replies
version(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						version(3)

NAME
version - Perl extension for Version Objects SYNOPSIS
# Parsing version strings (decimal or dotted-decimal) use version 0.77; # get latest bug-fixes and API $ver = version->parse($string) # Declaring a dotted-decimal $VERSION (keep on one line!) use version; our $VERSION = version->declare("v1.2.3"); # formal use version; our $VERSION = qv("v1.2.3"); # shorthand use version; our $VERSION = qv("v1.2_3"); # alpha # Declaring an old-style decimal $VERSION (use quotes!) our $VERSION = "1.0203"; # recommended use version; our $VERSION = version->parse("1.0203"); # formal use version; our $VERSION = version->parse("1.02_03"); # alpha # Comparing mixed version styles (decimals, dotted-decimals, objects) if ( version->parse($v1) == version->parse($v2) ) { # do stuff } # Sorting mixed version styles @ordered = sort { version->parse($a) <=> version->parse($b) } @list; DESCRIPTION
Version objects were added to Perl in 5.10. This module implements version objects for older version of Perl and provides the version object API for all versions of Perl. All previous releases before 0.74 are deprecated and should not be used due to incompatible API changes. Version 0.77 introduces the new 'parse' and 'declare' methods to standardize usage. You are strongly urged to set 0.77 as a minimum in your code, e.g. use version 0.77; # even for Perl v.5.10.0 TYPES OF VERSION OBJECTS
There are two different types of version objects, corresponding to the two different styles of versions in use: Decimal Versions The classic floating-point number $VERSION. The advantage to this style is that you don't need to do anything special, just type a number into your source file. Quoting is recommended, as it ensures that trailing zeroes ("1.50") are preserved in any warnings or other output. Dotted Decimal Versions The more modern form of version assignment, with 3 (or potentially more) integers separated by decimal points (e.g. v1.2.3). This is the form that Perl itself has used since 5.6.0 was released. The leading 'v' is now strongly recommended for clarity, and will throw a warning in a future release if omitted. A leading 'v' character is required to pass the "is_strict()" test. DECLARING VERSIONS
If you have a module that uses a decimal $VERSION (floating point), and you do not intend to ever change that, this module is not for you. There is nothing that version.pm gains you over a simple $VERSION assignment: our $VERSION = "1.02"; Since Perl v5.10.0 includes the version.pm comparison logic anyways, you don't need to do anything at all. How to convert a module from decimal to dotted-decimal If you have used a decimal $VERSION in the past and wish to switch to a dotted-decimal $VERSION, then you need to make a one-time conversion to the new format. Important Note: you must ensure that your new $VERSION is numerically greater than your current decimal $VERSION; this is not always obvious. First, convert your old decimal version (e.g. 1.02) to a normalized dotted-decimal form: $ perl -Mversion -e 'print version->parse("1.02")->normal' v1.20.0 Then increment any of the dotted-decimal components (v1.20.1 or v1.21.0). How to "declare()" a dotted-decimal version use version; our $VERSION = version->declare("v1.2.3"); The "declare()" method always creates dotted-decimal version objects. When used in a module, you must put it on the same line as "use version" to ensure that $VERSION is read correctly by PAUSE and installer tools. You should also add 'version' to the 'configure_requires' section of your module metadata file. See instructions in ExtUtils::MakeMaker or Module::Build for details. Important Note: Even if you pass in what looks like a decimal number ("1.2"), a dotted-decimal will be created ("v1.200.0"). To avoid confusion or unintentional errors on older Perls, follow these guidelines: o Always use a dotted-decimal with (at least) three components o Always use a leading-v o Always quote the version If you really insist on using version.pm with an ordinary decimal version, use "parse()" instead of declare. See the "PARSING AND COMPARING VERSIONS" for details. See also version::Internals for more on version number conversion, quoting, calculated version numbers and declaring developer or "alpha" version numbers. PARSING AND COMPARING VERSIONS
If you need to compare version numbers, but can't be sure whether they are expressed as numbers, strings, v-strings or version objects, then you should use version.pm to parse them all into objects for comparison. How to "parse()" a version The "parse()" method takes in anything that might be a version and returns a corresponding version object, doing any necessary conversion along the way. o Dotted-decimal: bare v-strings (v1.2.3) and strings with more than one decimal point and a leading 'v' ("v1.2.3"); NOTE you can technically use a v-string or strings with a leading-v and only one decimal point (v1.2 or "v1.2"), but you will confuse both yourself and others. o Decimal: regular decimal numbers (literal or in a string) Some examples: $variable version->parse($variable) --------- ------------------------- 1.23 v1.230.0 "1.23" v1.230.0 v1.23 v1.23.0 "v1.23" v1.23.0 "1.2.3" v1.2.3 "v1.2.3" v1.2.3 See version::Internals for more on version number conversion. How to check for a legal version string If you do not want to actually create a full blown version object, but would still like to verify that a given string meets the criteria to be parsed as a version, there are two helper functions that can be employed directly: "is_lax()" The lax criteria corresponds to what is currently allowed by the version parser. All of the following formats are acceptable for dotted-decimal formats strings: v1.2 1.2345.6 v1.23_4 1.2345 1.2345_01 "is_strict()" If you want to limit yourself to a much more narrow definition of what a version string constitutes, "is_strict()" is limited to version strings like the following list: v1.234.5 2.3456 See version::Internals for details of the regular expressions that define the legal version string forms, as well as how to use those regular expressions in your own code if "is_lax()" and "is_strict()" are not sufficient for your needs. How to compare version objects Version objects overload the "cmp" and "<=>" operators. Perl automatically generates all of the other comparison operators based on those two so all the normal logical comparisons will work. if ( version->parse($v1) == version->parse($v2) ) { # do stuff } If a version object is compared against a non-version object, the non-object term will be converted to a version object using "parse()". This may give surprising results: $v1 = version->parse("v0.95.0"); $bool = $v1 < 0.96; # FALSE since 0.96 is v0.960.0 Always comparing to a version object will help avoid surprises: $bool = $v1 < version->parse("v0.96.0"); # TRUE Note that "alpha" version objects (where the version string contains a trailing underscore segment) compare as less than the equivalent version without an underscore: $bool = version->parse("1.23_45") < version->parse("1.2345"); # TRUE See version::Internals for more details on "alpha" versions. OBJECT METHODS
is_alpha() True if and only if the version object was created with a underscore, e.g. version->parse('1.002_03')->is_alpha; # TRUE version->declare('1.2.3_4')->is_alpha; # TRUE is_qv() True only if the version object is a dotted-decimal version, e.g. version->parse('v1.2.0')->is_qv; # TRUE version->declare('v1.2')->is_qv; # TRUE qv('1.2')->is_qv; # TRUE version->parse('1.2')->is_qv; # FALSE normal() Returns a string with a standard 'normalized' dotted-decimal form with a leading-v and at least 3 components. version->declare('v1.2')->normal; # v1.2.0 version->parse('1.2')->normal; # v1.200.0 numify() Returns a value representing the object in a pure decimal form without trailing zeroes. version->declare('v1.2')->numify; # 1.002 version->parse('1.2')->numify; # 1.2 stringify() Returns a string that is as close to the original representation as possible. If the original representation was a numeric literal, it will be returned the way perl would normally represent it in a string. This method is used whenever a version object is interpolated into a string. version->declare('v1.2')->stringify; # v1.2 version->parse('1.200')->stringify; # 1.200 version->parse(1.02_30)->stringify; # 1.023 EXPORTED FUNCTIONS
qv() This function is no longer recommended for use, but is maintained for compatibility with existing code. If you do not want to have it exported to your namespace, use this form: use version 0.77 (); is_lax() (Not exported by default) This function takes a scalar argument and returns a boolean value indicating whether the argument meets the "lax" rules for a version number. Leading and trailing spaces are not allowed. is_strict() (Not exported by default) This function takes a scalar argument and returns a boolean value indicating whether the argument meets the "strict" rules for a version number. Leading and trailing spaces are not allowed. AUTHOR
John Peacock <jpeacock@cpan.org> SEE ALSO
version::Internals. perl. perl v5.16.3 2013-08-16 version(3)