Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris rlogin, telnet connections timeout Post 302238064 by dr_gsb on Friday 19th of September 2008 01:13:08 AM
Old 09-19-2008
Thanks for your reply.
The only things in the server's default login file which are uncommented:
PASSREQ=YES
ALTSHELL=YES
SYSLOG=YES

Also, as I mentioned in my first port, when I telnet using putty from any Windows machine or even from any other unix box, the connection stays open for days. Its when I telnet/rlogin from my solaris desktop that the connections timeout. So I think it has to do something with my desktop, rather than the servers.
And yes, this happens for all the servers. I mean that if I have 4 telnet connections opened with 4 different servers, they all timeout after few hours.
I am not able to keep my windows open over the night because of this.

Thanks in adv
--gsb

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rlogin & telnet

hi what is the main difference between rlogin and telnet? Or they are synonymous cheers (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: g-e-n-o
13 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

telnet session timeout

hi, we can set something such that if the user has been idle for a while, it will auto disconnect. where to do so? thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

telnet, rlogin, ssh login probblem

Hello Friends, I had an IRIX box won't let me login with any IDs (even root) Telnet, Rlogin, SSh. However, I can login by single user with root ID. Telnet login >>> Connection closed by forgeign host. Rlogin >>> Connection closed SSh login >>> connection to address ???.????.???.??? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anphdula
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Testing telnet connections in a script

Hi, I am trying to figure out how to test to see if a server is accepting telnet connections via a script. I have several remote MPE servers that are set in single user mode (and hence not accepting telnet connections), for their backups, I want to try and automate a test (from a unix... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dikiee
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Disable telnet timeout

Hi, Can someone help me how I can disable telnet timeout? I'm connecting remotely to some machines and after some time my telnet connection was closed. How can I disable this so that I'm always connected to those machines? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
2 Replies

6. IP Networking

rlogin,telnet-different or same?

Hai guys, Both "rlogin" and "telnet" are used to login remote host.Is there any differece between these 2 commands? (or) are both same? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Felicia23
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for nested rlogin and telnet

I want to write a script that rlogins to a couple machines and then from the last machine, telnet into a final machine and execute a command. So in pseudocode it would look like: rlogin host1 from host1 rlogin host2 from host2 telnet host3 from host 3 execute command The reason for the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcburke38
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

rlogin and telnet

I want to make a script which will execute a command from a remote server like below rlogin server1 then telnet server2 (username, password will be given) now execute command (it may "ls -l *.txt") and give the output I've to do this manually but want to make it automatic Script may... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoeb
4 Replies

9. Linux

Telnet Timeout

is there a way to add a timeout parameter to telnet when connecting to any IP address? like, if this IP doesn't respond within 10 seconds, abort. thanks i'm looking for something like this: telnet gaggaga.com 443 -t 10 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ping and telnet timeout

Hello, I need help, I have the following which save in the result file ping and telnet:port test. Basically the script works but I should implement a check on ping and telnet command so that ping has 5 seconds threshold and telnet (more important) 10 seconds. Over that threshold ping and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: marmellata
0 Replies
Regexp::Common::URI::telnet(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			    Regexp::Common::URI::telnet(3)

NAME
Regexp::Common::URI::telnet -- Returns a pattern for telnet URIs. SYNOPSIS
use Regexp::Common qw /URI/; while (<>) { /$RE{URI}{telnet}/ and print "Contains a telnet URI. "; } DESCRIPTION
$RE{URI}{telnet} Returns a pattern that matches telnet URIs, as defined by RFC 1738. Telnet URIs have the form: "telnet:" "//" [ user [ ":" password ] "@" ] host [ ":" port ] [ "/" ] Under "{-keep}", the following are returned: $1 The complete URI. $2 The scheme. $3 The username:password combo, or just the username if there is no password. $4 The username, if given. $5 The password, if given. $6 The host:port combo, or just the host if there's no port. $7 The host. $8 The port, if given. $9 The trailing slash, if any. REFERENCES
[RFC 1738] Berners-Lee, Tim, Masinter, L., McCahill, M.: Uniform Resource Locators (URL). December 1994. SEE ALSO
Regexp::Common::URI for other supported URIs. AUTHOR
Damian Conway (damian@conway.org) MAINTAINANCE
This package is maintained by Abigail (regexp-common@abigail.be). BUGS AND IRRITATIONS
Bound to be plenty. LICENSE and COPYRIGHT This software is Copyright (c) 2001 - 2009, Damian Conway and Abigail. This module is free software, and maybe used under any of the following licenses: 1) The Perl Artistic License. See the file COPYRIGHT.AL. 2) The Perl Artistic License 2.0. See the file COPYRIGHT.AL2. 3) The BSD Licence. See the file COPYRIGHT.BSD. 4) The MIT Licence. See the file COPYRIGHT.MIT. perl v5.16.2 2010-02-23 Regexp::Common::URI::telnet(3)