Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File access:
Top Forums Programming File access: Post 302237925 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 18th of September 2008 04:38:59 PM
Old 09-18-2008
That is exactly why the answer(s) we gave to the original question were somewhat meaningless.

What you are seeing is only the effect of buffer size on the number of times underlying stdio system calls are made. More calls more overhead. Nothing to do necessarily with I/O throughput. Larger buffers do improve performance but there comes a point where doubling buffer size buys almost nothing.

The actual I/O throughput is a function of "hard drive" cache size - our drives are on a giant SAN with RAID support. Buffering is immense. So our "hard drives" are really just a frontend box that pretends it is a disk - fronting for a RAID cluster.

Clearing the cache just means you are measuring disk latency and seek times as well as the other components of I/O.

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 09-18-2008 at 05:44 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to access/mount so to access folder/files on a Remote System using Linux OS

Hi I need to access files from a specific folder of a Linux system from an another Linux System Remotely. I know how to, Export a folder on One SCO System & can access the same by using Import via., NFS in the Sco Unix SVR4 System using the scoadmin utility. Also, I know to use mount -t ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S.Vishwanath
2 Replies

2. Programming

[C++] File I/O (Reading from a Random-Access File)

INFO: The program should enter a circle radius and Id for that circle to a file, then it should search for that id and print the radius for that circle. PROBLEM: This program compiles but it's not searching properly. Circle.h #ifndef CIRCLE_H #define CIRCLE_H #include <iostream>... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: VersEtreOuNe
0 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

file permission/acl: 2 users with write access on 1 file...

Hello, i need some help/advice on how to solve a particular problem. these are the users: |name | group | ---------- --------------- |boss | department1 | |assistant | department1 | |employee | department1 | |spy | department2 | this is the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: elzalem
0 Replies

4. Programming

how to write Microsoft Access MDB file to a text file, using C ?

I'm in the UNIX environment. I'd like to read a Microsoft Access MDB file, and write the contents of that file into an ASCII text file. I want to write a C program to do this. Does anyone know if there's already source code out there that does this? Please advise. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: serendipity1276
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kernel giving access for multiple users to access files

hi all, i want to know y kernel is giving access for multiple users to access a file when one user may be the owner is executing that file. Because other user can manipulate that file when the other user is executing that file, it will give the unexpected result to owner . plz help me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimmyuk
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

Does my provider limit my internet access or somesites access?

Hi Good Day, i would like to ask for further info about my problems experiencing this evening. Im a PPP0 connection in the internet using 3G located in asia pacific region.i had this problem this evening in my INTERNET connections that there are some sites i can't open example ( Gizmodo.com,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Access to a file

Hey friends, If a file has permissions 000, then who can access the file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paras.oriental
1 Replies

8. Solaris

samba read write access to owner and no access to other users

Hi All, I want to configure samba share permission so that only directory creator/owner has a read and write permission and other users should not have any read/write access to that folder.Will that be possible and how can this be achieved within samba configuration. Regards, Sahil (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sahil_shine
1 Replies

9. Proxy Server

How to use Squid on Linux to control certain IP to access Web Server and certain IP cannot access?

Dear all experts here, :) I would like to install a proxy server on Linux server to perform solely to control the access of Web server. In this case, some of my vendor asked me to try Squid and I have installed it onto my Linux server. I would like know how can I set the configuration to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to access multiple file and operate on single file

We have three files as mentioned below: 1. main_file.txt: This is the file in which all operations will be done. Which means this file will be signed by using the below two files 2. signature_file.txt: This is a status file and contains two signatures. 3. command.txt:file contains two commands... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetanojha
2 Replies
IO::Dir(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					      IO::Dir(3pm)

NAME
IO::Dir - supply object methods for directory handles SYNOPSIS
use IO::Dir; $d = IO::Dir->new("."); if (defined $d) { while (defined($_ = $d->read)) { something($_); } $d->rewind; while (defined($_ = $d->read)) { something_else($_); } undef $d; } tie %dir, 'IO::Dir', "."; foreach (keys %dir) { print $_, " " , $dir{$_}->size," "; } DESCRIPTION
The "IO::Dir" package provides two interfaces to perl's directory reading routines. The first interface is an object approach. "IO::Dir" provides an object constructor and methods, which are just wrappers around perl's built in directory reading routines. new ( [ DIRNAME ] ) "new" is the constructor for "IO::Dir" objects. It accepts one optional argument which, if given, "new" will pass to "open" The following methods are wrappers for the directory related functions built into perl (the trailing 'dir' has been removed from the names). See perlfunc for details of these functions. open ( DIRNAME ) read () seek ( POS ) tell () rewind () close () "IO::Dir" also provides an interface to reading directories via a tied hash. The tied hash extends the interface beyond just the directory reading routines by the use of "lstat", from the "File::stat" package, "unlink", "rmdir" and "utime". tie %hash, 'IO::Dir', DIRNAME [, OPTIONS ] The keys of the hash will be the names of the entries in the directory. Reading a value from the hash will be the result of calling "File::stat::lstat". Deleting an element from the hash will delete the corresponding file or subdirectory, provided that "DIR_UNLINK" is included in the "OPTIONS". Assigning to an entry in the hash will cause the time stamps of the file to be modified. If the file does not exist then it will be created. Assigning a single integer to a hash element will cause both the access and modification times to be changed to that value. Alternatively a reference to an array of two values can be passed. The first array element will be used to set the access time and the second element will be used to set the modification time. SEE ALSO
File::stat AUTHOR
Graham Barr. Currently maintained by the Perl Porters. Please report all bugs to <perlbug@perl.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2003 Graham Barr <gbarr@pobox.com>. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 IO::Dir(3pm)