Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: raw device in Linux
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users raw device in Linux Post 302237905 by otheus on Thursday 18th of September 2008 03:52:41 PM
Old 09-18-2008
Use them directly as /dev/sdd1. These ARE the raw devices (Linux doesn't make a distinction between "raw" block device and anything else.) If you want to access the entire device, sans partitions, just access /dev/sdd. If you want to RENAME the devices, that's okay too, but better yet, use "mknod" to reproduce links to those devices, (or just create softlinks to the /dev/ entries).

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Logical volume to raw device

Hy I have several logical volumes that are turned into raw devices used by Informix DB. I would like to add some more. In /dev directory i see logical volumes as block files: lv_name1, lv_name2 ... and i see raw devices defined as character files: rlv_name1, rlv_name2 ... As i see,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: veccinho
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Increasing Raw device Sun Cluster 3.0

Hi All , I would like to know the procedure for increasing shared volume space in sun cluster . Currently the configuration is like these . Main stripe oradb1/d91 2 1 /dev/did/rdsk/d35s0 1 /dev/did/rdsk/d36s0 =Total 49 Gb oradb1/d94 -p oradb1/d91 -o 88080480 -b 14680064 ==Total 7 GB... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahil_shine
4 Replies

3. AIX

LVM & Raw device i/o comparison

Please consider this a question about basics&best practices. On AIX 5.3 system, three raw physical volumes are defined from storage. While doing a read with command dd from the raw device, the speed rate is 250Mb/s. Then, it gets complex when I define these three pv's to an lv of type raw. Doing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalliege
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Making Raw Device

Hi, I am using Sun Solaris 10 (Sparc 64 bit), I have a meta device /dev/dsk/emcpower26a mounting on /u01. I want to make this metadeice as raw device. Need solaris command to remove file system and make it as raw device ?. Is there any solaris command to check raw devices ?. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zeeshan047
1 Replies

5. Solaris

zones: Use a zpool or mount as a raw device?

Hi, I need to create 4 zones. I have an array with a RAID5 volume. I have exported 4 LUNS from the array. Now my host see the 4 LUNS as raw devices. I am partitioning each LUN using format then mounting each slice on the global zone. Then I am using each slice as a file system for my non... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: general_lee
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

linux 8e vs raw disk

Hi All, Hope someone can help me with this. I have noticed that on some of the servers i am currently administering there is a difference in the setup of some of the LVM disks. Some of the disks have been created by SN disk allocated, disk partitioned using type 8e over the entire disk,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tommyk
2 Replies

7. Solaris

How to find used space on RAW device?

Hi, I'm trying to find out how to see used space on RAW device. I tried with prtvtoc -f RAWdevice but for 3 different device I'm getting the same FREE_SIZE which look a bit impossible. root@zg8cscfb1> prtvtoc -f /dev/md/redodg/rdsk/d300 FREE_START=0 FREE_SIZE=20352 FREE_COUNT=1 FREE_PART=... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MarioT
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to start a raw device?

HI, I want to start Oracle on UNIX machine, now the , it is failing to startup because it cannot identify a raw device. Actually machine was rebooted and now we need to mount the devices, but i just want to know the command/way to mount or rather start/init a raw device. Please let me know. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Onkar Banerjee
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Raw device/multipath details

Hi, How to find the raw device/multipath details of the LUN used by the diskgroups of the database. file system type -- ASM Oracle -- 11.2.0.3.0 OS -- Linux This is RAC database. Regards, Maddy (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
2 Replies
ADDPART(8)                                                     System Administration                                                    ADDPART(8)

NAME
addpart - tell the kernel about the existence of a partition SYNOPSIS
addpart device partition start length DESCRIPTION
addpart tells the Linux kernel about the existence of the specified partition. The command is a simple wrapper around the "add partition" ioctl. This command doesn't manipulate partitions on a block device. PARAMETERS
device The disk device. partition The partition number. start The beginning of the partition (in 512-byte sectors). length The length of the partition (in 512-byte sectors). SEE ALSO
delpart(8), fdisk(8), parted(8), partprobe(8), partx(8) AVAILABILITY
The addpart command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux January 2015 ADDPART(8)