Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Temporary files and rm
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Temporary files and rm Post 302237746 by SFNYC on Thursday 18th of September 2008 09:27:52 AM
Old 09-18-2008
Well, the first thing you should do is change 'rm $filetemp 2> /dev/null' to 'rm $filetemp 2> somefile' so you can capture the error message and interrogate what rm is producing in order to find out why it is not removing the file. This may give you a clue as to what is happenning.

Sam

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Ubuntu

Avoid creating temporary files on editing a file in Ubuntu

Hi, My ubuntu flavor always create temporary files having filename followed by ~ on editing. For eg: if I am editing a file called "sip.c", automatically a temporary (bkup) file is getting created with the name "sip.c~". How to avoid this file creation? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing files without temporary files

Hey Guys, I was wondering if someone would give me a hand with an issue I'm having, let me explain the situation: I have a file that is constantly being written to and read from with updated lines: # cat activity.file activity1 activity2 activity3 activity4 activity5 This file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashshadow1979
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help - Bug: A script to compile two types of data files into two temporary files

Dear other forum members, I'm writing a script for my homework, but I'm scratching all over my head and still can't figure out what I did wrong. Please help me. I just started to learn about bash scripting, and I appreciate if anyone of you can point out my errors. I thank you in advance. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilove2smoke
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync temporary files

Hi, I am looking to use rsync in a very specific way, and even though I have trawled the rsync man pages I have not succeeded in seeing a way of doing the following: The temporary files created by rsync should not be created in the destination directory. (I have used --temp-dir option to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LostInTheWoods
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Which time should be used for deleting temporary files?

I want to create a folder for users to put their temporary files and a folder for users to put their permanent files. For the temporary folder, I need to implement a deletion policy. I would like to know normally which time, ctime, mtime or atime, should be used to implement such deletion policy. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marctc
1 Replies

6. AIX

Hidden temporary files in AIX

Hi, Some porocess is creating hidden temporary files in /tmp directory. And they are not getting deleted. System is going out of disk space after some days. The temp files are getting created like .<user name><pid>. I have checked the application code, but didnt get any clue. Does these files... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: viswath.sen
4 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with exit, grep, temporary files, awk

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I do not understand how/why the following code is used. Please do not simply refer me to the man pages since I have already reviewed them extensively. Thank you. exit 2 , exit 3, exit 0 I understand the basics of why the exit... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BartleDoo
5 Replies
PCAP_SET_TSTAMP_TYPE(3PCAP)											       PCAP_SET_TSTAMP_TYPE(3PCAP)

NAME
pcap_set_tstamp_type - set the time stamp type to be used by a capture device SYNOPSIS
#include <pcap/pcap.h> int pcap_set_tstamp_type(pcap_t *p, int tstamp_type); DESCRIPTION
pcap_set_tstamp_type() sets the the type of time stamp desired for packets captured on the pcap descriptor to the type specified by tstamp_type. It must be called on a pcap descriptor created by pcap_create() that has not yet been activated by pcap_activate(). pcap_list_tstamp_types() will give a list of the time stamp types supported by a given capture device. See pcap-tstamp(7) for a list of all the time stamp types. RETURN VALUE
pcap_set_tstamp_type() returns 0 on success if the specified time stamp type is expected to be supported by the capture device, PCAP_WARN- ING_TSTAMP_TYPE_NOTSUP on success if the specified time stamp type is not supported by the capture device, PCAP_ERROR_ACTIVATED if called on a capture handle that has been activated, and PCAP_ERROR_CANTSET_TSTAMP_TYPE if the capture device doesn't support setting the time stamp type. SEE ALSO
pcap(3PCAP), pcap_list_tstamp_types(3PCAP), pcap_tstamp_type_name_to_val(3PCAP), pcap-tstamp(7) 21 August 2010 PCAP_SET_TSTAMP_TYPE(3PCAP)