Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Universal Repositories for All Linux Distros Post 302237600 by era on Thursday 18th of September 2008 02:21:11 AM
Old 09-18-2008
Debian / Ubuntu has limited support for installing RPM packages via the "alien" utility. It comes with pretty much the warnings broli already gave, but for a simple user-space utility, it works just fine. The most common problem is that different distros have different conventions for where a package should store library files, startup scripts, cron jobs, etc. If it's just a simple binary in /usr/bin with no package pre/post-install scripts or funky configuration files, you should be able to cope (but then you might as well recompile from source and make your own package for your own distro; there are tools for doing that automatically at least for Debian-based distros).

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

is there a guide for linux distros?

i`m trying to fidnd a distro that is good for m but it is not that easy i discovered, so if anybody please can give som tips i would been very happy thank you for reading:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KMLiveLinux
3 Replies

2. Linux

Multiple linux distros in one box

Hi, This will be my first time to install 5 distros in one box, the ff. are: openSUSE 11, openSUSE11.1, Ubuntu 8.04, Ubuntu 8.10, Fedora 10 Now, I'm confused how would I partitioned my hard disk with a capacity of 80Gb where there is only one swap and no idea yet how to play with boot... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: etcpasswd
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

Points to compare Linux distros

I 've a question regarding which points should be considered to compare 2 different linux distros say RedHat & Ubuntu. for a production environment non-db applications ... any help will be appreciated .. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fugitive
1 Replies

4. Fedora

On Installing Multiple Linux Distros on a Computer

Guys, I was planning to install Ubuntu, Fedora and Backtrack on the same computer (along with Windows 7). My Specifications are: 2.67 Core i5 4GB DDR3 RAM 500 GB HDD I have a system running Windows 7 with 3 partitions (240, 130, 130) GBs. And I was planning on freeing out 30GB of space and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hMeU
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

OpenSSL usage on Linux Distros

Hi, My server is Centos 6 i686. Is it possible get an openssl download from this site "https://www.openssl.org/source/" (which is used for 64 bit platforms) and use it on 32 bit platforms also? Thx, Aigini (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
5 Replies
DH_INSTALLEMACSEN(1)						     Debhelper						      DH_INSTALLEMACSEN(1)

NAME
dh_installemacsen - register an Emacs add on package SYNOPSIS
dh_installemacsen [debhelperoptions] [-n] [--priority=n] [--flavor=foo] DESCRIPTION
dh_installemacsen is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing files used by the Debian emacsen-common package into package build directories. It also automatically generates the preinst postinst and prerm commands needed to register a package as an Emacs add on package. The commands are added to the maintainer scripts by dh_installdeb. See dh_installdeb(1) for an explanation of how this works. FILES
debian/package.emacsen-compat Installed into usr/lib/emacsen-common/packages/compat/package in the package build directory. debian/package.emacsen-install Installed into usr/lib/emacsen-common/packages/install/package in the package build directory. debian/package.emacsen-remove Installed into usr/lib/emacsen-common/packages/remove/package in the package build directory. debian/package.emacsen-startup Installed into etc/emacs/site-start.d/50package.el in the package build directory. Use --priority to use a different priority than 50. OPTIONS
-n, --no-scripts Do not modify postinst/prerm scripts. --priority=n Sets the priority number of a site-start.d file. Default is 50. --flavor=foo Sets the flavor a site-start.d file will be installed in. Default is emacs, alternatives include xemacs and emacs20. NOTES
Note that this command is not idempotent. dh_prep(1) should be called between invocations of this command. Otherwise, it may cause multiple instances of the same text to be added to maintainer scripts. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) "usr/share/doc/emacsen-common/debian-emacs-policy.gz" This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_INSTALLEMACSEN(1)