Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux how to recover from back up directory Post 302237579 by frank_rizzo on Thursday 18th of September 2008 12:50:21 AM
Old 09-18-2008
recover your files from a recent backup. If you don't have a backup consider the files gone. It might be possible to recover them but it is not trivial.

If you have a .snapshot directory on the file system then it sounds like you have a netapp filer or something like that. If you do, then the recovery of the file should be as simple as copying that file back to the original place.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Restoring back files from "lost+found" directory

Hi Friends, How can I Restore the Files present under "lost+found" Directory of a FileSystem (in Solaris & Tru64 OS) to their original Locations. Now-a-days I am loosing lots of files in 2 of my Machines, One running Solaris8 and other Tru64(Digital) Unix. Thanx in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dhasarath
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

? question mark, how to get back to the root directory

hiyas I am trying to get back to the root directory: I went into MAIL directory and now I can't get back to the root directory. What are the commands... I have '?' coming up and I cannot proceed with this, HELP Cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: etravels
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Puzzling Problem: Going back to the previous directory

Hi, I am trying to figure out if there is a way to make linux take me back to the previous directory I was working in. For instance, I am in /home/username/directory1 Then if I cd into /home/username/directory1/temp1/temp2/temp3 I would like to immediately go back to the previous... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
2 Replies

4. IP Networking

Back-to-Back Connection using HBAs

Hi every body, Is it possible to connect two servers Back-to-Back (Point-to-Point) using HBA adapters & using Fiber. Note it is direct connection & there is no switches between the servers. I'm concern about using HBA adapters, it is possible or not. Thanks in advance. :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh - walking back up a directory PATH

Hi there, I am putting a script together to apply a label to a directory structure but it can't be done down the directory structure, i must start at the end and work back and this is what i am struggling with. for example, i will supply a path as an argument to a script, e.g ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: surfbus78
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recover directory/files in unix

Hi Guys I accidently deleted a directory( and the files in it) in unix using 'rm -rf' :) Is there any procedure/script/command to recover the same? Your help is highly apperciated -thanks Subramanya (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sgbhat
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alias to go back to previous directory?

Some time ago I was using a linux system and someone had set up and alias called "back" that got me back to the directory I was last in, which was very useful. I've now switched to using a mac, and don't have those aliases available. Can anyone tell me how I could make a an alias that would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ac2011
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to back up a bunch of files on a directory and save that file as the current date....

this is what i have to find the files modified within the past 24 hours find . -mtime -1 -type f -print0 | xargs -0 tar rvf "$archive.tar" however i need to save/name this archive as the current date (MM-DD,YYYY.tar.gz) how do i doo this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bugenhagen_
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move back to a directory

~/assign1b/assign1/york/> your current directory is york how do you go back to your home directory with using relative pathname? not using cd alone? :( (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackendstars
3 Replies