Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Universal Repositories for All Linux Distros Post 302237250 by broli on Wednesday 17th of September 2008 09:40:40 AM
Old 09-17-2008
fedora uses rpm packages, so it wont work with debian apckages
even further, mixing repositories is a very (and pardon my frecnh) stupid idea
each distro packages their own apps in diff ways. ven from fedora 8 to 9 there are many important differences that make what you want , well, a bad idea

dependecies are different also
i wanr you, if you install a rpm not ment specifly for your distro, you might damage your system beyond repair

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

is there a guide for linux distros?

i`m trying to fidnd a distro that is good for m but it is not that easy i discovered, so if anybody please can give som tips i would been very happy thank you for reading:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KMLiveLinux
3 Replies

2. Linux

Multiple linux distros in one box

Hi, This will be my first time to install 5 distros in one box, the ff. are: openSUSE 11, openSUSE11.1, Ubuntu 8.04, Ubuntu 8.10, Fedora 10 Now, I'm confused how would I partitioned my hard disk with a capacity of 80Gb where there is only one swap and no idea yet how to play with boot... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: etcpasswd
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

Points to compare Linux distros

I 've a question regarding which points should be considered to compare 2 different linux distros say RedHat & Ubuntu. for a production environment non-db applications ... any help will be appreciated .. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fugitive
1 Replies

4. Fedora

On Installing Multiple Linux Distros on a Computer

Guys, I was planning to install Ubuntu, Fedora and Backtrack on the same computer (along with Windows 7). My Specifications are: 2.67 Core i5 4GB DDR3 RAM 500 GB HDD I have a system running Windows 7 with 3 partitions (240, 130, 130) GBs. And I was planning on freeing out 30GB of space and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hMeU
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

OpenSSL usage on Linux Distros

Hi, My server is Centos 6 i686. Is it possible get an openssl download from this site "https://www.openssl.org/source/" (which is used for 64 bit platforms) and use it on 32 bit platforms also? Thx, Aigini (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
5 Replies
RPMSIGN(8)						      System Manager's Manual							RPMSIGN(8)

NAME
rpmsign - RPM Package Signing SYNOPSIS
rpm --addsign|--resign PACKAGE_FILE ... rpm --delsign PACKAGE_FILE ... DESCRIPTION
Both of the --addsign and --resign options generate and insert new signatures for each package PACKAGE_FILE given, replacing any existing signatures. There are two options for historical reasons, there is no difference in behavior currently. rpm --delsign PACKAGE_FILE ... Delete all signatures from each package PACKAGE_FILE given. USING GPG TO SIGN PACKAGES In order to sign packages using GPG, rpm must be configured to run GPG and be able to find a key ring with the appropriate keys. By default, rpm uses the same conventions as GPG to find key rings, namely the $GNUPGHOME environment variable. If your key rings are not located where GPG expects them to be, you will need to configure the macro %_gpg_path to be the location of the GPG key rings to use. If you want to be able to sign packages you create yourself, you also need to create your own public and secret key pair (see the GPG manual). You will also need to configure the rpm macros %_gpg_name The name of the "user" whose key you wish to use to sign your packages. For example, to be able to use GPG to sign packages as the user "John Doe <jdoe@foo.com>" from the key rings located in /etc/rpm/.gpg using the executable /usr/bin/gpg you would include %_gpg_path /etc/rpm/.gpg %_gpg_name John Doe <jdoe@foo.com> %__gpg /usr/bin/gpg in a macro configuration file. Use /etc/rpm/macros for per-system configuration and ~/.rpmmacros for per-user configuration. Typically it's sufficient to set just %_gpg_name. SEE ALSO
popt(3), rpm(8), rpmdb(8), rpmkeys(8), rpm2cpio(8), rpmbuild(8), rpmspec(8), rpmsign --help - as rpm supports customizing the options via popt aliases it's impossible to guarantee that what's described in the manual matches what's available. http://www.rpm.org/ <URL:http://www.rpm.org/> AUTHORS
Marc Ewing <marc@redhat.com> Jeff Johnson <jbj@redhat.com> Erik Troan <ewt@redhat.com> Panu Matilainen <pmatilai@redhat.com> Red Hat, Inc RPMSIGN(8)