Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: check a list of vars
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting check a list of vars Post 302237141 by Franklin52 on Wednesday 17th of September 2008 05:18:56 AM
Old 09-17-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile
The vars aren't sequential in their name by the way.
I don't think you have any other choice.

Regards

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with nawk using -v vars

I'm trying to pass nawk a shell variable to be used in a pattern match. I can't get this work. I'm calling nawk from a /bin/sh echo " Input file: \c" read var1 echo " Input: \c" read var2 nawk -F"|" -v x=$1 ' BEGIN $15 ~ /^'$var2'/ {print $2}' var1 {apary=$15; bparty=$23; time=$4;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amon
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Vars between scripts

Im running a script that runs scripts within it self and i need to pass vars made in the original script to scripts run within it and the only way i can think to do it is right the string to a file and read the file in the script (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcunn87
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

NEW: need help with nawk using -v vars

I'm trying to pass nawk a shell variable to be used in a pattern match. I can't get this work. I'm calling nawk from a /bin/sh I want that when somebody enters Trunk Group in variable TGR so it goes into nawk variable TG. echo "Enter TRUNK GROUP:" read TGR cat... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakhan
20 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk operating with shell vars only

Hi all How do I use awk such that it does not require an input file? I have a situation where I need to process some shell vars within awk (passed into awk with "-v VAR1=$VALUE1, VAR2=$VALUE2" etc), but that processing does not require/use an input file. Any guidance? TIA JG (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgrogan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between use vars and our variable in PERL

What is the difference between defining the global variable through our and using use vars ? Is the variable created using our goes beyond even package scope? Thanks in Advance !!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatanig
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting vars from external files

Hi I have an issue, I want to get variables from an external file. Variable file var1=test var2-test2 I want to get these vars from another shell script. Does any one know how? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalviking
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

List of Shell Env Vars

Hia, echo ${!S*} gives me all those env vars starting with S like SHELL SECONDS SHELLOPTS SHLVL etc. is there any way to deflate the shell variables' range like echo ${!A-E*} OR echo ${!A..S*} to list all env vars starting within range of A till E. Thanks Regards, Nasir (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: busyboy
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read vars iteratively

Hello, I have a tab delimited list of 311 server & account names which I want to read those 2 variables and then connect to each server and get info on that particular job account. I've tried the following: while read server acct; do printf "********$server\t $acct***********\n" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcbobolink
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing vars or params to function

How to pass the getopts processed variable "${@}" to a function? It contains a list of package names needed in various functions. Seems the issue I have is due to the order of the script, with the processed "${@}" falling after the unprossed "${@}". I've been manually parsing options in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cody Learner
3 Replies
LESSECHO(1)						      General Commands Manual						       LESSECHO(1)

NAME
lessecho - expand metacharacters SYNOPSIS
lessecho [-ox] [-cx] [-pn] [-dn] [-mx] [-nn] [-ex] [-a] file ... DESCRIPTION
lessecho is a program that simply echos its arguments on standard output. But any metacharacter in the output is preceded by an "escape" character, which by default is a backslash. OPTIONS
A summary of options is included below. -ex Specifies "x", rather than backslash, to be the escape char for metachars. If x is "-", no escape char is used and arguments con- taining metachars are surrounded by quotes instead. -ox Specifies "x", rather than double-quote, to be the open quote character, which is used if the -e- option is specified. -cx Specifies "x" to be the close quote character. -pn Specifies "n" to be the open quote character, as an integer. -dn Specifies "n" to be the close quote character, as an integer. -mx Specifies "x" to be a metachar. By default, no characters are considered metachars. -nn Specifies "n" to be a metachar, as an integer. -fn Specifies "n" to be the escape char for metachars, as an integer. -a Specifies that all arguments are to be quoted. The default is that only arguments containing metacharacters are quoted SEE ALSO
less(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Thomas Schoepf <schoepf@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). Send bug reports or comments to bug-less@gnu.org. Version 487: 25 Oct 2016 LESSECHO(1)