Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Vi in Leopard
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Vi in Leopard Post 302236987 by [MA]Flying_Meat on Tuesday 16th of September 2008 07:08:22 PM
Old 09-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by unimachead
Gale, would using vi possibly help with finding a solution for hiding the primary login account in OS X (10.5)? It's the new OS from Apple, called Leopard. Just curious.
I'm going to say it is not a requirement for "hiding the primary login account".

There are basic command line tools for this, but that is an entirely different thread subject.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

Emacs in terminal for OS X Leopard

I had a question about using Emacs in terminal. Is it not possible to do add ons if you do not have the GUI version? I ask because in everything I have read, it says you need to edit a ~/.emacs file which I do not seem to have. Anyone know how I can add add ons? Thanks a lot in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: USFstudent
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

mac backup script in leopard

Hi all I had a nice simple backup script on my mac running Tiger. I used an Automator 'Run Shell Script' command that loaded psync and backed up one directory on an external drive to a directory on another external drive. This was the command /usr/local/bin/runpsync 0 0 0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Billy T
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash Location in Leopard

Hi, Where is bash located in Leopard? According O'Reilly's "Bash Cookbook" Mac OS 10.2 and newer ship with bash as /bin/sh. But I checked and there is a /bin/bash. Which would I use in my shebang when writing BASH scripts? Mike (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
2 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Install X11 Tiger on Leopard

Hi! A bug on X11 leopard prevent me from using a program through ssh channel. My unix guru suggest me to install X11 tiger, in which the bug is absent. So I tried to follow the step given by Ben Byer. My problem is simple, the first step : sudo launchctl unload -w... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipi
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ctrl-o in bash on os X leopard -- how does it work exactly?

I'm going through "learning the bash shell" by newham and rosenblatt. I'm trying to ctro-O to execute and then go on to the next command in the history list, ctrl-o again, etc. (I'm just trying to get a feel for it in case I want to use it). But ctrl-o does nothing. Can someone help me out as to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
5 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

MacPorts on Snow Leopard

Hello everyone. I was previously using MacPorts 1.8 on Mac OS 10.5.8 without any problems and everything was working well. I recently upgraded to Xcode 3.2 and Mac OS 10.6, since then my MacPorts installation has not been working at all. I deleted it and then reinstalled the .dmg from the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HoldenCaulfield
1 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Alpine 2 on Snow Leopard

I've just installed Alpine on Snow Leopard but can't seem to get a default spell checker configured for it. What happened to spell? I can't find it at all on 10.6, must have been some changes. Does anyone know about the default unix spell checker on SL? Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: platz
0 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)