Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: script to modify /etc/shadow
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting script to modify /etc/shadow Post 302236980 by frank_rizzo on Tuesday 16th of September 2008 06:21:52 PM
Old 09-16-2008
I assume you know this but in case you don't there are utilities that already do this for you so you don't need to reinvent the wheel.

passwd
usermod
etc..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using a script to modify the crontab

I want to add one line to the end of my crontab using a script. I have tried piping in the editor commands, but I can't get it to work. crontab -e user << EX $a This is the text I want to add. . wq EX This doesn't work. Is there an easier way to do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnmsucpe
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify Perl script to work with txt - Permissions script

Hi I have this code, and i want work with a ls -shalR output in .txt What i need read to do this?? Where start? #!/usr/bin/perl # Allrights- A perl tool for making backups of file permissions # Copyright (C) 2005 Norbert Klein <norbert@acodedb.com> # This program is free... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joangopan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help to modify my script

Hi, I have a script which connect to ATM's and pull two files from the ATM. The which i try to pull is like PIC20085200001*.JPG First 7 digit consist of year montn and date as well After todays execution i want to change the date to next date I add few lines in the script but it is not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Renjesh
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Need help with script when trying to modify user

The script get a csv file with 2 colls for example: 123456,UNIX 963852,Microsoft the script supose to put the number in the Description of the user in this case UNIX or Microsoft the error i get is does not exist.OR: UNIX does not exist.OR: Microsoft but the users exist so i do not... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shatztal
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can I modify this script.

hello forum members, I have a script which is used find the Uname and passwords and redirects into a output.txt file.I hardcoded a string "ciadev" but iwant search two more strings also "absdev" and "absprod" So modify this script please. I am lookinmg forward from you, please find the below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

Password Aging script non-shadow non-trusted

basically there are several different versions of hpux, this script is for particular version that is non-trusted but also does not use any shadow files.This one is a little harder to do. Usually the time stamp of the last password change is stored as an epoch number in the shadow file, for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me to modify my script in stdout

please help me to modify my script #! /bin/bash while read line do echo "$line" >>/tmp/result && mysql -ss -e "use $line; select count(*) from users where type='admin' and deleted = 0;" > /tmp/result; done < /tmp/db_data cat result alan_hardwsdefs 2 bgrmods 2 claudiatdsefs 1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unimaxlin
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify sed script

I'm trying to take out strings from log files and add them to a csv. For example, in the directory now, there are 2 log files. I get the following results: sed -e '/custodian/b' -e '/packaged by/b' -e '/package name/b' -e '/Total Data (MB) Read/b' -e '/Begin Time/b' -e d * packaged by =... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipperuga
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify the file by script

Hi All, I have an input file like below, 6984 1225 6989 1220 6994 1214 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify python script

How can I modify this so it uses Seamonkey and goes to Yahoo Advanced Web Search #!/usr/bin/python3 import os import urllib google = os.popen('zenity --entry --text="Enter what you want to google: " --title="google.py"').read() google = urllib.quote(google) os.system('firefox... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
8 Replies
PAM_WHEEL(8)							 Linux-PAM Manual						      PAM_WHEEL(8)

NAME
pam_wheel - Only permit root access to members of group wheel SYNOPSIS
pam_wheel.so [debug] [deny] [group=name] [root_only] [trust] [use_uid] DESCRIPTION
The pam_wheel PAM module is used to enforce the so-called wheel group. By default it permits root access to the system if the applicant user is a member of the wheel group. If no group with this name exist, the module is using the group with the group-ID 0. OPTIONS
debug Print debug information. deny Reverse the sense of the auth operation: if the user is trying to get UID 0 access and is a member of the wheel group (or the group of the group option), deny access. Conversely, if the user is not in the group, return PAM_IGNORE (unless trust was also specified, in which case we return PAM_SUCCESS). group=name Instead of checking the wheel or GID 0 groups, use the name group to perform the authentication. root_only The check for wheel membership is done only. trust The pam_wheel module will return PAM_SUCCESS instead of PAM_IGNORE if the user is a member of the wheel group (thus with a little play stacking the modules the wheel members may be able to su to root without being prompted for a passwd). use_uid The check for wheel membership will be done against the current uid instead of the original one (useful when jumping with su from one account to another for example). MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
The auth and account module types are provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_AUTH_ERR Authentication failure. PAM_BUF_ERR Memory buffer error. PAM_IGNORE The return value should be ignored by PAM dispatch. PAM_PERM_DENY Permission denied. PAM_SERVICE_ERR Cannot determine the user name. PAM_SUCCESS Success. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN User not known. EXAMPLES
The root account gains access by default (rootok), only wheel members can become root (wheel) but Unix authenticate non-root applicants. su auth sufficient pam_rootok.so su auth required pam_wheel.so su auth required pam_unix.so SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(8) AUTHOR
pam_wheel was written by Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com>. Linux-PAM Manual 04/01/2010 PAM_WHEEL(8)