Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Converting a Windows system to a UNIX system Post 302236521 by baksg1995 on Monday 15th of September 2008 07:27:34 PM
Old 09-15-2008
So I can run UNIX right on the windows system by using a CD. I was told I would have to partition the hard drive, download UNIX onto that new partition and use a A/B switch to switch from Windows to a UNIX operating system. How do I get a copy of ubuntu?

baksg1995

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can Unix Co-Exist with Windows 9X on the same System?

Is it possible to install unix on a system which already runs windows 98? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ms73eb
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

converting files from unix to windows

Need Help?? We receive Files From GM Motors and they written on a Sun Workstation using the Tar Command on a 4mm Dat Tape. We have an HP sure Store 24 Tape drive that will Execpt but when i do that it says that the media is bad. was wondering if there was any software that would read it in its... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jefft1976
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Having a Unix system installed side to side with Windows?

Atm i have Windows 98. Can i install a Unix system like Redhat on my computer, and on boot choose which one to go to? Like i can with Win95 & 98... Please help me. I dont know alot about unix so im still learning. I just know its better than Win for the internet and it doesnt crash. :) (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pcslider
14 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing Windows over UNIX operating system

Hello All I don't know much about UNIX operating system and in need of help. I am trying to install Windows Operating System on a desktop that already has UNIX. When you start the system it immediately takes me to a GRUB prompt. I tried putting in the installation disk before starting the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockbold
4 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

reading unix file system from windows

I found a more appropriate section to post my question. Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cneill
0 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Converting an old windows vista system to Unix

I have an old Dell system that I would like to convert over to a Unix system and I have no idea how to do this. Where can I go to get the information to do this. This will be a secondary computer that I will learn and "play" with. I have heard that it is fairly easy to do and that once I get used... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Richard.Borden2
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix System Programmer Vs. Unix System Administrator

Hi friends, I hope you are all fine and doing well. First of all, let me say that I love Unix with passion. But I have one query in my mind that is bothering me. What should I do, Unix System Administration or Unix System Programmering. Could you please tell me the difference between the two. And... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
3 Replies

8. AIX

Cloning a system via mksysb backup from one system and restore to new system

Hello All, I am trying to clone an entire AIX virtual machine to a new virtual machine including all partitions and OS.Can anyone help me on the procedure to follow? I am not really sure on how it can be done.Thanks in advance. Please use CODE tags for sample input, sample output, and for code... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull05
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Converting system to trusted

Hi, I need to convert few HP-UX (V 11.31) machines from un-trusted to trusted. I used the HP SMH to do this on one server. However when I click on "Yes" to proceed with the conversion, I get this error : The attempt to convert this system to a trusted system failed. The command return value... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Migrating jobs from COBOL Mainframe system to UNIX system

In a nutshell requirement is to migrate the system from mainframe environment to UNIX environment (MF cobol would be used I guess). I have not much of idea in this field. I need to do some investigation on following points - - Ease of conversion - Known Data compatibility issue - Issue in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tjsureboy4me
9 Replies
SAVECORE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       SAVECORE(8)

NAME
savecore - save a core dump of the operating system SYNOPSIS
savecore dirname [ system ] DESCRIPTION
Savecore is meant to be called at the end of the /etc/rc file. Its function is to save the core dump of the system (if one was made) and to write a reboot message in the shutdown log. It saves the core image in the file dirname/core.n and its corresponding namelist in dirname/unix.n. The second argument is the namelist for the system which made the core image; the current system is always assumed to be /unix. The trailing ".n" in the pathnames is replaced by a number which grows every time savecore is run in that directory. Before savecore writes out a core image, it reads a number from the file dirname/minfree. If there are fewer free blocks on the file sys- tem which contains dirname than the number obtained from the minfree file, the core dump is not done. If the minfree file does not exist, savecore always writes out the core file (assuming that a core dump was taken). Savecore also writes a reboot message in the shut down log. If the system crashed as a result of a panic, savecore records the panic string in the shut down log too. If savecore detects that the system time is wrong because of a crash (the time in the core image is after the current time), it will reset the system time to its best estimate of the time, which is the time in the core image plus the elapsed time since the reboot. It announces the time that it set when this occurs. FILES
/usr/adm/shutdownlogshutdown log /unix current UNIX BUGS
The method used to determine whether a dump is present, and to prevent the same core image from being saved multiple times, is not elegant. This information should be passed to init by the system; however, this is difficult because the system may have to be rebooted a second time if the root filesystem is patched. 3rd Berkeley Distribution SAVECORE(8)