Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers X num of lines before and after Post 302236425 by jjp on Monday 15th of September 2008 01:14:19 PM
Old 09-15-2008
That almost works, but it appears to only scan one file, whereas I'm trying to scan hundreds. Also, anyway to omit printing the first line after line X, and only print the second.

This is very helpful, so thanks guys (or gals).

Last edited by jjp; 09-15-2008 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: incorrect

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting num lock on at boot up

Once I knew how to set up a unix file so that the num lock would automatically be on after booting up. How exactly is that done? Unix has final control on the setting of the num lock from off or on to on at the end of the boot up process. Any help will be appreciated, especially if detailed. Oh... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jddxxx
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert char to num

how to convert char to num or visa versa i am a beginner how to do it can someone guide me please (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guhas
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tracking sequence num

I have files coming to an input directory every few mins...eg test_00012.txt test_00013.txt test_00014.txt I need to write a script to monitor these and if a file is missing from the sequence I need my script to spot this so I can alert someone... ie... if I got the following:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Port num incrementing

Hello Guyz These days Iam doing pretty good scripting work that is all because of you fellas.Thank you so much. As it goes ,here comes my next problem.Iam trying to implement automatic port number incrementing. For ex: demo() { echo "Enter for default port: read port ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolkid
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: Please explain this for me: $hexdigit = (0 .. 9, 'a' .. 'f')[$num & 15];

This is taken from perlop. I can't understand what's going on, please can someone explain this for me? $hexdigit = (0 .. 9, 'a' .. 'f'); to get a hexadecimal digit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksheller
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Set Caps and Num lock from within X?

Hello, Not sure if this is the right place to post it but.. I have a requirement to set Caps lock and/or Num lock on and off via a Cron job. Now I have working scripts that do the job, but as soon as X starts up the jobs no longer run (well they appear to, but Caps lock and Num lock do not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: autotuner
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a string in textfile, erase $num lines after that string

I have a textfile containing text similar to the following pattern: STRING1 UNIQUE_STRING1 STRING2 STRING3 STRING4 STRING5 STRING1 UNIQUE_STRING2 STRING2 STRING3 STRING4 STRING5 STRING1 UNIQUE_STRING3 STRING2 STRING3 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilcsfe
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple question on $VAR = num

Hello, I am a begginer on shell scripting and I need a simple advice. I have the following script. The output of DATE is gathered from Oracle and it will be 101115 (for todays date) Therefore the DAY will be sed-ed , and it contains 15 #!/bin/sh DATE=`${LIB}/dt_YYMMDD 0` DAY=`echo $DATE| sed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
5 Replies

9. Hardware

About the max num of physical memory

Can anyone tell me what the max num of physical memery depends? It's the bit number of the data bus? How about the max number of the virtual memory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cateran
1 Replies
UNIQ(1) 								FSF								   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq - remove duplicate lines from a sorted file SYNOPSIS
uniq [OPTION]... [INPUT [OUTPUT]] DESCRIPTION
Discard all but one of successive identical lines from INPUT (or standard input), writing to OUTPUT (or standard output). Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --count prefix lines by the number of occurrences -d, --repeated only print duplicate lines -D, --all-repeated[=delimit-method] print all duplicate lines delimit-method={none(default),prepend,separate} Delimiting is done with blank lines. -f, --skip-fields=N avoid comparing the first N fields -i, --ignore-case ignore differences in case when comparing -s, --skip-chars=N avoid comparing the first N characters -u, --unique only print unique lines -w, --check-chars=N compare no more than N characters in lines --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit A field is a run of whitespace, then non-whitespace characters. Fields are skipped before chars. AUTHOR
Written by Richard Stallman and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for uniq is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and uniq programs are properly installed at your site, the command info uniq should give you access to the complete manual. uniq (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 UNIQ(1)