Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users change passwd remotely in solaris 10 Post 302236359 by bigbut57 on Monday 15th of September 2008 10:58:09 AM
Old 09-15-2008
set your encrypted password, and use sed to replace it

sed -s '/oldpass/newpass' /etc/shadow > /etc/shadow.new
cp -p /etc/shadow /etc/shadow.Orig
cp -p /etc/shadow.new /etc/shadow

this assumes that you set the password on a local box, and you can get the encrypted passwd from the local /etc/shadow...

Also assumes that no two users have the same password...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to change root passwd

I booted up Sun V240 server with boot cdrom -s using the Sun Operating System CD. I now am at the # prompt and su - root . The system will not allow me to set password for root. Get following error: # passwd New Password: xxxxxxxx Re-enter new Password: xxxxxxxx passwd: Unexpected failure. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mayewil
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

using ssh change password remotely?

Is it possible to change the password using a shell script, I want to remotely connect to a computer and then change password without manual intevention. Thanks in Advance Rishi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RishiPahuja
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script to change passwd

Hello All, I am trying to change a user passwd (one time password): cat /tmp/passwd mnop1234 mnop1234 #passwd abcd < /tmp/passwd (for some reason, it is not able to input the password from /tmp/passwd and comes back with "New Password: ") Is there a work around except using "expect". ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaix14
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

Change password of linux servers remotely

Hi, I am very bad at scripting. I need help from scripting experts... I need to change password of around 100 linux remote servers. I have been given a script for changing the password that automates the task. however I do not understand the usage and meaning of the script, the script is an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: renuka
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change root password remotely

Hi All, Hope you all doing well...!!! First of all i will like to share few information about my network. I have a network of 50 solaris servers sample IPs are (10.2.135.1 to 10.2.135.50).. i have created trust for root user of servers 1(10.2.135.1) in all other servers, that is i have shared... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: varunksharma87
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to monitor change in /etc/passwd

Hi All, From Audit point of view, I need to add a script to my production Solaris servers. That should be able to mail me, if any user is added or removed. That means, I should get a mail, what user is deleted or added in /etc/passwd, i.e. if there is a change in this file, I should be... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change passwords for User accounts on multiple UNIX/Linux machines remotely?

Hello Experts, Need some direction on creating shell script for following environment: We have about 20 people in the team working as Oracle DBA's (sysdba's and appdba's). Total Servers which is a mix of Unix and Linux are 200. We do not have Root user access on any of the servers and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sha2402
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Unable to change the passwd

bash-3.00# passwd sami New Password: Re-enter new Password: Dec 14 00:07:43 hack passwd: passwdutil: crypt_gensalt Invalid argument passwd: Unexpected failure. Password database unchanged. Permission denied i got this error while i am change the user(sami) passwd. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samiulla
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Can't change users passwd

Have an issue with a user or root changing the user's passwd. We run the passwd command and a complex passwd is entered a message is displayed, "passwd is based on a dictionary word." We do have a dictionary file and I know for a fact the complex passwd is not in the list. This happens on a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solizkewl
3 Replies
pwconv(1M)                                                System Administration Commands                                                pwconv(1M)

NAME
pwconv - installs and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd SYNOPSIS
pwconv DESCRIPTION
The pwconv command creates and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. pwconv relies on a special value of 'x' in the password field of /etc/passwd. This value of 'x' indicates that the password for the user is already in /etc/shadow and should not be modified. If the /etc/shadow file does not exist, this command will create /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. The command populates /etc/shadow with the user's login name, password, and password aging information. If password aging information does not exist in /etc/passwd for a given user, none will be added to /etc/shadow. However, the last changed information will always be updated. If the /etc/shadow file does exist, the following tasks will be performed: Entries that are in the /etc/passwd file and not in the /etc/shadow file will be added to the /etc/shadow file. Entries that are in the /etc/shadow file and not in the /etc/passwd file will be removed from /etc/shadow. Password attributes (for example, password and aging information) that exist in an /etc/passwd entry will be moved to the corre- sponding entry in /etc/shadow. The pwconv command can only be used by the super-user. FILES
/etc/opasswd /etc/oshadow /etc/passwd /etc/shadow ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
passwd(1), passmgmt(1M), usermod(1M), passwd(4), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
pwconv exits with one of the following values: 0 SUCCESS. 1 Permission denied. 2 Invalid command syntax. 3 Unexpected failure. Conversion not done. 4 Unexpected failure. Password file(s) missing. 5 Password file(s) busy. Try again later. 6 Bad entry in /etc/shadow file. SunOS 5.10 9 Mar 1993 pwconv(1M)