Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Which is suitable Tar or Backup command???? Post 302236211 by ravager on Monday 15th of September 2008 04:19:01 AM
Old 09-15-2008
The /etc/security/limits file defines process resource limits for users.

fsize
Identifies the soft limit for the largest file a user's process can create or extend.

you can do a man on limits for more detail
File for a user doing backup can not exceed this fsize set for the user in limits file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

extract from tar backup

Hi All, I have created a tar file by giving the below command : all files of directory : /Accounts/2001/10/26 $tar -cvf Act26.tar /Accounts/2001/10/26 I copied into another server and given the following command: $tar -xvf Act26.tar then permision denied message came due to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar backup

Hi all, I would like to append list of files to already taken tar backup file. can anybody help? last month backup : cd /accounts/11 tar -cvf monthback.tar * Now I want to add /accounts/12 to monthback.tar is it possible? Krishna (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishna
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar backup

I am trying to do a full system backup using tar. It then after maybe 12 or so hours comes up with tar: write error: unexpected EOF. I have thoroughly cleaned the drive and tried to use a different drive but it still gives me this error. Can someone help. I am on solaris 8. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TMashie
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

restoring backup using tar command

Please help me in resolving the issue. I have taken backup using the below command $ tar cvf - . |compress -> /opt/globusback2/needed_backups/apglsg.tar.Z I tried to restore the backup using the below command. $ zcat /opt/globusback2/needed_backups/apglsg.tar.Z | tar -xvf - ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

restoring backup using tar command

Please help me in resolving the issue. I have taken backup using the below command $ tar cvf - . |compress -> /opt/globusback2/needed_backups/apglsg.tar.Z I tried to restore the backup using the below command. $ zcat /opt/globusback2/needed_backups/apglsg.tar.Z | tar -xvf - ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
5 Replies

6. Solaris

backup through tar command on remote tape

Hello Everybody I have two servers, name A & B. I need to take a backup of one directory(/girish) on serverA. But my tape drive is in serverB through tar command. But when I run the following command it doesn't take the backup. Could any one correct my command to take a backup tar cvf - ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup with tar

Hi friends, I am planning to backup my Solaris Servers to SAN storage using tar. Also palnning to automate the job using Crontab. Can anyone advise how to make the date change automatically everyday for backup. Pls correct me if I am wrong. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris5.10
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Backup - TAR help

Hi, Another rookie here. I have a script I am developing to backup files from various directories onto a windows machine. Script description: - mv files from various directories - tar all files in that directory - export to windows server for safe keeping, external backups. The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcclunyboy
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not correct processing of “\ “ in names of dirs inside shell script (tar command - system backup scr

Hello, Recently, I've started with shell scripting, and decided to write a script for my system backup using tar. When I was dealing with tar execution inside shell script I found this, inside shell we have the following code: tar $TAR_PARAMS $ARCHIVE_FILE $EXCLUDE $BACKUP_STARTwith... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilnar
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies
plimit(1)							   User Commands							 plimit(1)

NAME
plimit - get or set the resource limits of running processes SYNOPSIS
plimit [-km] pid... plimit {-cdfnstv} soft,hard... pid... DESCRIPTION
If one or more of the cdfnstv options is specified, plimit sets the soft (current) limit and/or the hard (maximum) limit of the indicated resource(s) in the processes identified by the process-ID list, pid. Otherwise plimit reports the resource limits of the processes identi- fied by the process-ID list, pid. Only the owner of a process or the super-user is permitted either to get or to set the resource limits of a process. Only the super-user can increase the hard limit. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -k On output, show file sizes in kilobytes (1024 bytes) rather than in 512-byte blocks. -m On output, show file and memory sizes in megabytes (1024*1024 bytes). The remainder of the options are used to change specified resource limits. They each accept an argument of the form: soft,hard where soft specifies the soft (current) limit and hard specifies the hard (maximum) limit. If the hard limit is not specified, the comma may be omitted. If the soft limit is an empty string, only the hard limit is set. Each limit is either the literal string unlimited, or a number, with an optional scaling factor, as follows: nk n kilobytes nm n megabytes (minutes for CPU time) nh n hours (for CPU time only) mm:ss minutes and seconds (for CPU time only) The soft limit cannot exceed the hard limit. -c soft,hard Set core file size limits (default unit is 512-byte blocks). -d soft,hard Set data segment (heap) size limits (default unit is kilobytes). -f soft,hard Set file size limits (default unit is 512-byte blocks). -n soft,hard Set file descriptor limits (no default unit). -s soft,hard Set stack segment size limits (default unit is kilobytes). -t soft,hard Set CPU time limits (default unit is seconds). -v soft,hard Set virtual memory size limits (default unit is kilobytes). OPERANDS
The following operands are supported. pid Process ID list. EXIT STATUS
plimit returns the exit value zero on success, non-zero on failure (such as no such process, permission denied, or invalid option). FILES
/proc/pid/* process information and control files ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ulimit(1), proc(1), getrlimit(2), setrlimit(2), proc(4), attributes(5), SunOS 5.10 8 Jun 1998 plimit(1)