Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Difference between two huge files Post 302235950 by pyaranoid on Saturday 13th of September 2008 11:21:00 PM
Old 09-14-2008
Yes, I know that Bdiff is used for large files.

Do we need to sort the files when we use bdiff?

How to get rid of linenumbers and < and > symbols in front of each record of the outputfile?

Thanks

Sue

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two huge files

Hi, I have two files file A and File B. File A is a error file and File B is source file. In the error file. First line is the actual error and second line gives the information about the record (client ID) that throws error. I need to compare the first field (which doesnt start with '//') of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmkbuddy_1983
11 Replies

2. AIX

Huge difference in reported Disk usage between ls,df and du

IBM RS6000 F50 AIX 4.3.2 i am having trouble in calculating the actual size of a set of directories and reconciling the results with the actual Hard Disk space used I have 33GB disk which is showing 7.8GB used, a byte count of the files in the directory/sub-dirs i`m interested in is 48GB,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cooperuf
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Huge files manipulation

Hi , i need a fast way to delete duplicates entrys from very huge files ( >2 Gbs ) , these files are in plain text. I tried all the usual methods ( awk / sort /uniq / sed /grep .. ) but it always ended with the same result (memory core dump) In using HP-UX large servers. Any advice will... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klashxx
8 Replies

4. High Performance Computing

Huge Files to be Joined on Ux instead of ORACLE

we have one file (11 Million) line that is being matched with (10 Billion) line. the proof of concept we are trying , is to join them on Unix : All files are delimited and they have composite keys.. could unix be faster than Oracle in This regards.. Please advice (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: magedfawzy
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing second line from huge files

I'm trying simple functionality of replacing the second line of files with some other string. Problem is these files are huge and there are too many files to process. Could anyone please suggest me a way to replace the second line of all files with another text in a fastest possible manner. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish.pyboyina
2 Replies

6. Programming

Huge difference between _POSIX_OPEN_MAX and sysconf(_SC_OPEN_MAX).

On my Linux system there seems to be a massive difference between the value of _POSIX_OPEN_MAX and what sysconf(_SC_OPEN_MAX) returns and also what I'd expect from the table of examples of configuration limits from Advanced Programming In The UNIX Environment, 2nd Ed. _POSIX_OPEN_MAX: 16... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gencon
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 folders to find several missing files among huge amounts of files.

Hi, all: I've got two folders, say, "folder1" and "folder2". Under each, there are thousands of files. It's quite obvious that there are some files missing in each. I just would like to find them. I believe this can be done by "diff" command. However, if I change the above question a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiapei100
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Three Difference File Huge Data Comparison Problem.

I got three different file: Part of File 1 ARTPHDFGAA . . Part of File 2 ARTGHHYESA . . Part of File 3 ARTPOLYWEA . . (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between two huge .csv files

Hi all, I need help on getting difference between 2 .csv files. I have 2 large . csv files which has equal number of columns. I nned to compare them and get output in new file which will have difference olny. E.g. File1.csv Name, Date, age,number Sakshi, 16-12-2011, 22, 56 Akash,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dimple
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Aggregation of Huge files

Hi Friends !! I am facing a hash total issue while performing over a set of files of huge volume: Command used: tail -n +2 <File_Name> |nawk -F"|" -v '%.2f' qq='"' '{gsub(qq,"");sa+=($156<0)?-$156:$156}END{print sa}' OFMT='%.5f' Pipe delimited file and 156 column is for hash totalling.... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravichander
14 Replies
bdiff(1)							   User Commands							  bdiff(1)

NAME
bdiff - big diff SYNOPSIS
bdiff filename1 filename2 [n] [-s] DESCRIPTION
bdiff is used in a manner analogous to diff to find which lines in filename1 and filename2 must be changed to bring the files into agree- ment. Its purpose is to allow processing of files too large for diff. If filename1 (filename2) is -, the standard input is read. bdiff ignores lines common to the beginning of both files, splits the remainder of each file into n-line segments, and invokes diff on cor- responding segments. If both optional arguments are specified, they must appear in the order indicated above. The output of bdiff is exactly that of diff, with line numbers adjusted to account for the segmenting of the files (that is, to make it look as if the files had been processed whole). Note: Because of the segmenting of the files, bdiff does not necessarily find a smallest sufficient set of file differences. OPTIONS
n The number of line segments. The value of n is 3500 by default. If the optional third argument is given and it is numeric, it is used as the value for n. This is useful in those cases in which 3500-line segments are too large for diff, causing it to fail. -s Specifies that no diagnostics are to be printed by bdiff (silent option). Note: However, this does not suppress possible diagnos- tic messages from diff, which bdiff calls. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of bdiff when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). FILES
/tmp/bd????? ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
diff(1), attributes(5), largefile(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Use help for explanations. SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 bdiff(1)