Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users cron/logrotate chicken and egg problem Post 302235915 by strike-2 on Saturday 13th of September 2008 07:53:26 PM
Old 09-13-2008
Just a silly question:
Are you sure you have inodes available on /var?
('df -i', depending on your O/S)

If your inode table is full, you may have space on the disk but you can't make a new file to rotate the data into.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Problem seen with logrotate

Hi all, I have configured logrotate to logorotate every 12 hour. The configurations are as follows. /etc/cron.d/config ------------------------- SHELL=/bin/bash PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin MAILTO="" HOME=/root 0 */12 * * * root logrotate /etc/logrotate.d/test ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rsravi74
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

logrotate with /etc/logrotate.conf file

Hi there, I want to rotate the logfiles which are located in /var/log/jboss/tomcat* so I have created a file named as 'tomat' in /etc/logrotate.d/tomcat with the following content. # cat /etc/logrotate.d/tomcat /var/log/jboss/tomcat_access_log*.log { daily nocreate ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skmdu
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Logrotate configuration problem

Hi, I have the following configuration file: /logs/system/mindundi/* { rotate 0 daily missingok sharedscripts postrotate find /logs/system/mindundi/ -name "*log" -mtime +15 -exec /bin/rm -f {} \; endscript } I want to save only... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mitchbcn
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

logrotate and cron.daily/weekly

Hi guys, I've got two separate logrotates I'd like to run, one for Tomcat and one for Apache, but I'd like to run the Tomcat one daily and the Apache one weekly. Now, the logrotate itself is working fine, but although I have 'daily' in Tomcat, and 'weekly' in the Apache one, the latter is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbob01
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logrotate - I am not able to rotate files using logrotate

I have written script which is working in Home directory perfectly and also compressing log files and rotating correctly. But, when i try to run script for /var/log/ i am able to get compressed log files but not able to get rotation of compressed log files. Please suggest. I am using below command... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: VSom007
5 Replies

6. AIX

Logrotate - /etc/logrotate.conf does't exist

Hi Admins. I have installed logrotate rpm on Aix 6.1. After the installation of rpm, I don't find /etc/logrotate.conf file and /etc/logrotate.d dir . The config file is located in /opt/freeware/etc/logrotate.conf. When I ran logrotate -v /opt/freeware/etc/logrotate.conf I get below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with logrotate

Hi, I have a problem with logrotate at Centos 7. My logrotate is configured with "rotate 0" to Apache logs, so it should never keep logs when rotating, just removing them and replacing by new empty ones at every rotation. But for some reason, once in a while, I see that logrotate is creating... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dado000
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to disable cron emails, but only for logrotate only not for other logs?

Guys, is there a script or command? how to disable cron emails, but only for logrotate only not for other logs (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
3 Replies
CRON(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   CRON(8)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
Cron executes commands at specified dates and times according to the instructions in the files /etc/crontab and /etc/crontab.local. None, either one, or both of these files may be present. Since cron never exits, it should only be executed once. This is best done by running cron from the initialization process through the file /etc/rc; see init(8). The crontab files consist of lines of seven fields each. The fields are separated by spaces or tabs. The first five are integer patterns to specify: o minute (0-59) o hour (0-23) o day of the month (1-31) o month of the year (1-12) o day of the week (1-7 with 1 = Monday) Each of these patterns may contain: o a number in the range above o two numbers separated by a minus meaning a range inclusive o a list of numbers separated by commas meaning any of the numbers o an asterisk meaning all legal values The sixth field is a user name: the command will be run with that user's uid and permissions. The seventh field consists of all the text on a line following the sixth field, including spaces and tabs; this text is treated as a command which is executed by the Shell at the specified times. A percent character (``%'') in this field is translated to a new-line character. Both crontab files are checked by cron every minute, on the minute. FILES
/etc/crontab /etc/crontab.local 7th Edition October 23, 1996 CRON(8)