Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Lesson Learned: Dual boot XP and Fedora 9 Post 302235867 by Perderabo on Saturday 13th of September 2008 11:59:11 AM
Old 09-13-2008
My approach to multiple OS installation is described here: https://www.unix.com/tips-tutorials/3...ot-laptop.html

But I will never again install that many OS's on a box... too hard to keep them all patched and healthy. Three OS's per disk is very reasonable though.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual boot no more

Ok I had a windows and RH dual boot system and have now converted over completly to the linux system. How do I regain the other half of my drive? I cannot see it in the disk manager. what do I do to format so that i can mount it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: macdonto
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual Boot help...

Hi there! I have a laptop which I plan on installing a dual boot on with Windows and Linux. I have Windows 98 installed at the moment, and I also have a copy of Slackware 8. I talked to friend, and he said he had some problems installing a dual boot with linux on his laptop... So I just came... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satan404
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dual Boot on HP-UX

Hy all Does anyone have Info on how to make a dual boot HP UX 10-20 HP UX 11 on a server ? Thanks in advance Olivier (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olivier
3 Replies

4. BSD

dual boot

I have recently installed free bsd on my windows xp laptop so that now it is a dual boot system. It worked fine for the first couple of days, but now whenever I try to boot into windows it hangs, giving the message WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\agp440.sys, bsd however, loads fine. I was wondering either... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elfhat
3 Replies

5. Linux

Dual Boot Win XP And Fedora with Fedora Installed First

Hi everyone, I hope this question goes here. Anyways, I have a unique situation where my friend's comp has Fedora installed and wants to add Win XP as a dual boot without formatting the drive. Is it possible to create a partition on the current hard drive and then install win xp? I couldn't find... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eltinator
4 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Fedora Windows XP Prof dual boot

Faced with a "learn the new platform at your own expense or lose your job" ultimatum, I bought a Maxtor internal HD and added it to my older HP desktop which had been upgraded from Windows to Windows Professional. I installed Fedora on the new 500 GB HD and tried putting the Fedora boot partition... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba18
5 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Dual boot

Hi, I am having 1 TB hard disk and in that I have to install windows,linux 64 bit and linux 32 bit total 3 operating systems I need to install, how could I do that please help. I am having 64 bit machine h/w Thanks, Trimurtulu (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktrimu
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

fedora grub help, moving to tri boot (XP, ubuntu, fedora soemething)

I will shortly be adding a fedora flavor to my devel box. I currently have XP (installed first on an ssd), ubuntu 10.04 (installed second on the first partition of a platter drive), and I want to add either Cent or SL on the second partition of the platter drive. I will probably also want to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
0 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Do you dual-boot with other os

When I first started using Linux (Ubuntu) I decided to just do a full install. The PC I installed it on, was full of viruses and to be honest, I was never good handling them. So, I decided to just go for it and install. Anyways I got another computer recently, a much newer one and I decided to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: billcrosby
3 Replies

10. Hardware

Fedora 16 dual monitor - dual head - automatic monitor shutdown

Hi, I am experiencing troubles with dual monitors in fedora 16. During boot time both monitors are working, but when system starts one monitor automatically shut down. It happend out of the blue. Some time before when I updated system this happend but then I booted older kernel release and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
0 Replies
SYSTEMD-NSPAWN(1)						  systemd-nspawn						 SYSTEMD-NSPAWN(1)

NAME
systemd-nspawn - Spawn a namespace container for debugging, testing and building SYNOPSIS
systemd-nspawn [OPTIONS...] [COMMAND] [ARGS...] DESCRIPTION
systemd-nspawn may be used to run a command or OS in a light-weight namespace container. In many ways it is similar to chroot(1), but more powerful since it fully virtualizes the file system hierarchy, as well as the process tree, the various IPC subsystems and the host and domain name. systemd-nspawn limits access to various kernel interfaces in the container to read-only, such as /sys, /proc/sys or /sys/fs/selinux. Network interfaces and the system clock may not be changed from within the container. Device nodes may not be created. The host system cannot be rebooted and kernel modules may not be loaded from within the container. Note that even though these security precautions are taken systemd-nspawn is not suitable for secure container setups. Many of the security features may be circumvented and are hence primarily useful to avoid accidental changes to the host system from the container. The intended use of this program is debugging and testing as well as building of packages, distributions and software involved with boot and systems management. In contrast to chroot(1) systemd-nspawn may be used to boot full Linux-based operating systems in a container. Use a tool like debootstrap(8) or mock(1) to set up an OS directory tree suitable as file system hierarchy for systemd-nspawn containers. Note that systemd-nspawn will mount file systems private to the container to /dev, /run and similar. These will not be visible outside of the container, and their contents will be lost when the container exits. Note that running two systemd-nspawn containers from the same directory tree will not make processes in them see each other. The PID namespace separation of the two containers is complete and the containers will share very few runtime objects except for the underlying file system. OPTIONS
If no arguments are passed the container is set up and a shell started in it, otherwise the passed command and arguments are executed in it. The following options are understood: --help, -h Prints a short help text and exits. --directory=, -D Directory to use as file system root for the namespace container. If omitted the current directory will be used. --user=, -u Run the command under specified user, create home directory and cd into it. As rest of systemd-nspawn, this is not the security feature and limits against accidental changes only. --private-network Turn off networking in the container. This makes all network interfaces unavailable in the container, with the exception of the loopback device. EXAMPLE 1 # debootstrap --arch=amd64 unstable debian-tree/ # systemd-nspawn -D debian-tree/ This installs a minimal Debian unstable distribution into the directory debian-tree/ and then spawns a shell in a namespace container in it. EXAMPLE 2 # mock --init # systemd-nspawn -D /var/lib/mock/fedora-rawhide-x86_64/root/ /sbin/init systemd.log_level=debug This installs a minimal Fedora distribution into a subdirectory of /var/lib/mock/ and then boots an OS in a namespace container in it, with systemd as init system, configured for debug logging. EXIT STATUS
The exit code of the program executed in the container is returned. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), chroot(1), debootstrap(8), mock(1) AUTHOR
Lennart Poettering <lennart@poettering.net> Developer systemd 10/07/2013 SYSTEMD-NSPAWN(1)