Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem with nohup command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problem with nohup command Post 302235817 by Rajat on Saturday 13th of September 2008 03:32:28 AM
Old 09-13-2008
Problem with nohup command

Hello folks,
I have got a script which telnets to different boxes and runs a certain script with 3 run time args.
The line from the script which does it is:
(sleep 1; echo $USERID ; sleep 1; echo $PASSWD ; sleep 1 ; echo y ; sleep 1 ; echo "\r" ; sleep 1 ; echo "cd $FILEPATH" ; sleep 1 ; sleep 1 ; echo "nohup ./abc.sh $BOXNAME $PATHNAME $FILENAME &" ; sleep 15)| telnet $SERVER > temp
I am taking these runtime args from a propert file.
However this is how my nohup.out file looks like ...

./abc.sh: test: argument expected.
But if I run the script manually ie if I just telnet to the box manually and run it with the help of nohup command there is no problem.
If I do NOT use nohup in my calling script, then also it works.
Any idea people? This is just killing me !!!
Thanks a lot.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Nohup Command

Hello All, I am newbie to unix.I am trying to use NOHUP command in shell script it works fine with only "nohup test.sh 10 &" and "/opt/user/nohup test.sh 10 &" gives an error saying "ksh: /opt/user/nohup : not found". Can anybody please guide me to make it work. Thanks Blazix (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: blazix
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem executing nohup

I am trying to submit background jobs using the nohup command on a client system where my session is running under a "master shell" (BASH). If I try to nohup the actual job (ie: nohup MYJOB.BAT > MYJOB.LOG 2>&1 &) the command will fail with a return code of 126 and a "permission denied" message.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: christyw
0 Replies

3. Solaris

problem with nohup

While executing a ksh file with a input parameter in background like the following bash-2.03$nohup fil.ksh 4 & the nohup session is stopped. The same ksh file while executed like bash-2.03$fil.ksh 4 works fine. I am trying the above in Solaris 5.8 in bash shell. Please let me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkna
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with exit while using nohup

Hi, I am kinda confused with this, am not sure what is happening i have a script say test.sh ---------- cat myfile | while read line do exit 2 done echo "out of loop" ----------- as it is evident, the exit should cause the script to terminate ,hence producing no output for the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumirmehta
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with nohup

Hello I am running this script inst.sh #!/bin/ksh sqlplus -s username/password @temp.sql ----Here is my temp.sql set serveroutput on select instance_name from V$instance; exit When i run the script inst.sh on the command prompt...it runs fine...but when i run it using... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: njafri
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem regarding nohup.out

There is a daemon which is constantly writing to this particular nohup.out file.This daemon can't be stopped. But the large size of this file is hampering the directory space.I want to write a script which will wait for 48 hours and then delete the contents of the file ( nohup.out ), but not the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gourav
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem on throwing sftp in nohup

Hi, but it is possible to effect a sftp in??? thanks thousand Germanico ---------- Post updated at 07:01 AM ---------- Previous update was at 05:51 AM ---------- Hi, but it is possible to effect a sftp in nohup mode??? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GERMANICO
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with nohup use in scripting

I am trying to execute following code: alarm_file_array="test1.alarms test2.alarms test3.alarms test4.alarms" for file in ${alarm_file_array} do nohup tail -f $file |awk 'NR>10' >> output.alarms 2>/dev/null & done Whenever it tries to execute nohup command it hangs because of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhallarandeep
3 Replies

9. Ubuntu

nohup problem

Hi All I am struggling to get a process to run in the background on a Ubuntu Linux machine. I run: - /home/brad > /usr/bin/nohup sudo /home/brad/spideroak/jsystem/runner/runAgent < /dev/null & 5611 /home/brad > /usr/bin/nohup: appending output to `nohup.out' + Stopped (SIGTTOU) ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
9 Replies

10. AIX

Nohup problem

Hi I need to execute about 1000 scp commands sequential , so I made "scp.sh" - like this scp - rp ... scp - rp ... ............ scp - rp ... then I run nohup sh scp.sh &The problem is: nohup process stopped when I closed session, or when the session expired,... Something wrong :(:(:( ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobochacha29
4 Replies
SYSTEMD-SUSPEND.SERVICE(8)				      systemd-suspend.service					SYSTEMD-SUSPEND.SERVICE(8)

NAME
systemd-suspend.service, systemd-hibernate.service, systemd-hybrid-sleep.service, systemd-sleep - System sleep state logic SYNOPSIS
systemd-suspend.service systemd-hibernate.service systemd-hybrid-sleep.service /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-sleep DESCRIPTION
systemd-suspend.service is a system service that is pulled in by suspend.target and is responsible for the actual system suspend. Similarly, systemd-hibernate.service is pulled in by hibernate.target to execute the actual hibernation. Finally, systemd-hybrid-sleep.service is pulled in by hybrid-sleep.target to execute hybrid hibernation with system suspend. Immediately before entering system suspend and/or hibernation systemd-suspend.service (and the other mentioned units, respectively) will run all executables in /usr/lib/systemd/system-sleep/ and pass two arguments to them. The first argument will be "pre", the second either "suspend", "hibernate", or "hybrid-sleep" depending on the chosen action. Immediately after leaving system suspend and/or hibernation the same executables are run, but the first argument is now "post". All executables in this directory are executed in parallel, and execution of the action is not continued until all executables have finished. Note that scripts or binaries dropped in /usr/lib/systemd/system-sleep/ are intended for local use only and should be considered hacks. If applications want to be notified of system suspend/hibernation and resume, there are much nicer interfaces available. Note that systemd-suspend.service, systemd-hibernate.service, and systemd-hybrid-sleep.service should never be executed directly. Instead, trigger system sleep states with a command such as "systemctl suspend" or similar. Internally, this service will echo a string like "mem" into /sys/power/state, to trigger the actual system suspend. What exactly is written where can be configured in the "[Sleep]" section of /etc/systemd/sleep.conf. See systemd-sleep.conf(5). OPTIONS
systemd-sleep understands the following commands: -h, --help Print a short help text and exit. --version Print the systemd version identifier and exit. suspend, hibernate, hybrid-sleep Suspend, hibernate, or put the system to hybrid sleep. SEE ALSO
systemd-sleep.conf(5), systemd(1), systemctl(1), systemd.special(7), systemd-halt.service(8) systemd 208 SYSTEMD-SUSPEND.SERVICE(8)