Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: simple sed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting simple sed Post 302235769 by gobi on Friday 12th of September 2008 08:00:09 PM
Old 09-12-2008
Hi,
Thanks but this does not work for me

*> cat test
12343 words here that can chage (hat:98-345) more word and numbers here
*> tr "(hat:" " " test | tr ")" " "
tr: too many arguments
Try `tr --help' for more information.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple sed question

Is there an easier way to do the following: echo "|||||||" | sed 's/||/|0|/g; s/||/|0|/g' which would give the following |0|0|0|0|0|0| If it is not run twice it will not pick up the second occurance of the || and leave it empty as in echo "|||||||" | sed 's/||/|0|/g' which would give... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

simple sed query

hi, i would like to replace a string in a series of files with another string, without outputting to new files. is this possible? i've tried using sed, and started by trying to alter the contents of one file... sed 's/string1/string2/g' file.txt but while this does the replacement on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: schmark
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

probably simple SED-command ...

Hello, I've got a problem with SED. It's my intention to shorten a file path (removing the file name) with the help of SED. Something like: tmp\folder1\folder2\blah.txt has to be transformed to tmp\folder1\folder2\. I suppose, it's on the tip of my tongue. Perhaps it's close to: sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sysadv
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple sed??

I am obviously missing something here, but the following simple command is giving me problems: sed 'i\extratext' filename.txt I receive "sed: command garbled: i\extratext' " Any suggestions? Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: here2learn
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple Sed

Hello. Just trying to write this line to an empty file. CAT shows nothing was written. Any suggestions or answers? #!/bin/bash -x THIS=FIRSTLINE sed '1w '$THIS'' testfile cat testfile Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: steveramsey
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple sed command

Hi, I have the following file: --# --#line1 --#line2 --#line3 --# --#line4 --#line5 and I want to use something like: sed 's/--#/newline/g' file > newfile to substitute the lines containing only '--#', but when I try, it replaces every instance of '--#' with 'newline' and I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dave724001
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple SED edit

I have output like the following: B D 20070116095820001 N D S0000579.LOG S0000582.LOG B D 20070116095750001 N D S0000574.LOG S0000576.LOG B D 20070116095734001 N D S0000570.LOG S0000573.LOG B D 20070116095705001 N D S0000569.LOG S0000569.LOG B D ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdudejr
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple sed question

hi is it possible to cut this two semicolon separated sed commands echo "string2 string3 string1" | sed s'/string1//g;s/string2//g' output: " string3 " to just one sed command without semicolon? thanks in advance funksen (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: funksen
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple sed command

I have some troubles with this: insert (at the beginning of line) character "#" from line 5 to line 15 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aspire
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - simple qx

Im usind se as follows, sed 's/**** DRAFT ****/ /' a.lst > b.lst '**** DRAFT ****' in a.lst goes to' ****' in b.lst Does anyone know the right syntax? Thanks!! ---------- Post updated at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:00 AM ---------- ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ttilsch
4 Replies
NWBPSET(1)							      nwbpset								NWBPSET(1)

NAME
nwbpset - Create a bindery property or set its value SYNOPSIS
nwbpset [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] DESCRIPTION
nwbpset Reads a property specification from the standard input and creates and sets the corresponding property. The format is determined by the output of 'nwbpvalues -c'. nwbpset will hopefully become an important part of the bindery management suite of ncpfs, together with As another example, look at the following command line: nwbpvalues -t 1 -o supervisor -p user_defaults -c | sed '2s/.*/ME/'| sed '3s/.*/LOGIN_CONTROL/'| nwbpset With this command, the property user_defaults of the user object 'supervisor' is copied into the property login_control of the user object 'me'. nwbpvalues -t 1 -o me -p login_control -c | sed '9s/.*/ff/'| nwbpset This command disables the user object me. Feel free to contribute other examples! nwbpset looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwbpset prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. AUTHORS
nwbpset was written by Volker Lendecke. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contributors. nwbpset 8/7/1996 NWBPSET(1)