Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Can't access external disk after reboot Post 302235165 by hoff on Thursday 11th of September 2008 09:45:16 AM
Old 09-11-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by msd
hello,

i had the same problem, i fixed it with a little startup script.

First try to:

Reboot the HP - UX machine. (keep ur storage running)
then it wont find the Fibre Channel Disks.

Try just an IOSCAN.
and then look with ioscan -funC disk if the Storage Disks are available.
If they are available after a ioscan and you are able to do a vgchange -a y vgxx, just put a little script in your /sbin/rc3.d/

i called it S101ioscan_startup.sh -->
ioscan > /dev/null
vgchange -a y vgxx > /dev/null

and then link this file to /sbin/init.d

then try a reboot and look if the discs are available.

it tryed it often and it works all the time Smilie

sorry for my bad english i hope you are able to understand everything.

have a nice day..

msd

Thx for your reply, but my problem is that if the disk system is powered on when I power on the server or reboots the server then no disks is found at the disk system. Not even after an ioscan. But if I power off/on the disk system while the server is on and performs an Ioscan after then all disks are found.
It's very strange but could it be some cofiguration files that are faulty?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Install Solaris on External Firewire Disk

Hello All, I have a laptop running windows 2000 and I have a External Firewire Hard Disk of 60 GB. Now my question is, " Is it possible to install Solaris 8 on this external Firewire Hard Disk". When I tried installing, It did not find the external Firewire Disk, the only partition information,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
1 Replies

2. Solaris

solaris 8 hangs and data access error on reboot

Hi using solaris 5.8 on UltraSPARC-IIi 360MHz. I know it is an old hardware but similiar hardware is running fine. here is the issue, System booted : works okay for some time then display was hung so system was rebooted ..it gave data access error. again rebooted and it came up... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
6 Replies

3. SuSE

External USB disk cannot be mounted

Hi, I am running Suse on a fujitsu server. The problem is that it will no fully load the usb external disk. When plugged in, dmesg shows that indeed a usb disk has been plugged in ,but gives no devpath e.g sda,sdb. lsusb shows the disk vendor (western digital) but nothing else.Whats goin on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulemsee
2 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Corrupted disk on reboot

Could someone please help me. Users were unable to access SCO Server. Attempted to reboot the machine and following error was reported: UX: vxfs mount: ERROR: /dev/dsk/c1b0t3d0s1 is corrupted, needs checking UX: vxfs mount: ERROR: /dev/dsk/c1b0t3d0s2 is corrupted, needs checking etc. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mandarin
4 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

internal disk and external disk question

Hello, We are running sun solaris and it is connected to SAN storage. How do I find what are the disks are internal and what are the disks are connected to SAN? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokkan
0 Replies

6. Linux

External disk

Hi, I connected a external hard disk to my linux machine(Redhat 5) and shared the external hard disk by using NFS. The problem is hard disk becoming read-only file system after some time, could some one please tell me the reason for it. I created two partitions with ext3 filesystem in... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktrimu
10 Replies

7. Hardware

Unrecognized disk label of a external HD

I have a external HD that I can't seem to open. When I try to open it with gparted it says unrecognized disk. When I run gparted from the terminal this is what it says. ~ $ sudo gparted ====================== libparted : 2.2 ====================== /dev/sdb: unrecognised disk label When I... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
18 Replies

8. Red Hat

Installation RHEL in External hard disk.

Hi all. Can i install RHEl5 in a external hard disk, work on lenovo T60 laptop. Plz reply me. Tell me the process. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagaraju.kappal
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Disk in Linux machine are internal or external

How to check whether the disk in linux machine are internal or external ( from nas or san). How to identify internal(local) and external disks. Following are some details of my server. Thanks. #df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda3 15G 3.5G 10G... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: salmanraza
2 Replies

10. Hardware

Unrecognized disk label on my external HD

Hi everyone, I have an external hard drive and I accidentally deleted the partition table. Can I restore my files? If I try to run the f-disk command this is what it says Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors Units =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sampa
1 Replies
reboot(2)							System Calls Manual							 reboot(2)

Name
       reboot - reboot system or halt processor

Syntax
       #include <sys/reboot.h>

reboot(howto)
       int howto;

Arguments
       howto   The howto argument is a mask of options passed to the bootstrap program.

The bits of howto are:

RB_HALT
		      the processor is simply halted; no reboot takes place.  RB_HALT should be used with caution.

RB_ASKNAME
		      Interpreted  by  the bootstrap program itself, causing it to inquire as to what file should be booted.  Normally, the system
		      is booted from the file "xx(0,0)vmunix" without asking.

RB_SINGLE
		      Normally, the reboot procedure involves an automatic disk consistency check and then multi-user operations.  RB_SINGLE  pre-
		      vents  the consistency check, rather simply booting the system with a single-user shell on the console.  RB_SINGLE is inter-
		      preted by the init(8) program in the newly booted system.  This switch is not available from the system call interface.

Only the superuser may a machine.

Description
       The system call reboots the system, and is invoked automatically in the event of unrecoverable system failures.	The system call  interface
       permits	only  RB_HALT or RB_AUTOBOOT to be passed to the reboot program; the other flags are used in scripts stored on the console storage
       media or used in manual bootstrap procedures.  When none of these options (for example, RB_AUTOBOOT) is given, the system is rebooted  from
       file in the root file system of unit 0 of a disk chosen in a processor-specific way.  Normally, an automatic consistency check of the disks
       is then performed.

Return Values
       If successful, this call never returns.	Otherwise, a -1 is returned, and an error is stored in the global variable errno.

Diagnostics
       The call fails under the following condition:

[EPERM]	      The caller is not the superuser.

See Also
       crash(8v), halt(8), init(8), reboot(8)

reboot(2)