Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Can't access external disk after reboot Post 302235160 by msd on Thursday 11th of September 2008 09:14:06 AM
Old 09-11-2008
hello,

i had the same problem, i fixed it with a little startup script.

First try to:

Reboot the HP - UX machine. (keep ur storage running)
then it wont find the Fibre Channel Disks.

Try just an IOSCAN.
and then look with ioscan -funC disk if the Storage Disks are available.
If they are available after a ioscan and you are able to do a vgchange -a y vgxx, just put a little script in your /sbin/rc3.d/

i called it S101ioscan_startup.sh -->
ioscan > /dev/null
vgchange -a y vgxx > /dev/null

and then link this file to /sbin/init.d

then try a reboot and look if the discs are available.

it tryed it often and it works all the time Smilie

sorry for my bad english i hope you are able to understand everything.

have a nice day..

msd

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Install Solaris on External Firewire Disk

Hello All, I have a laptop running windows 2000 and I have a External Firewire Hard Disk of 60 GB. Now my question is, " Is it possible to install Solaris 8 on this external Firewire Hard Disk". When I tried installing, It did not find the external Firewire Disk, the only partition information,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
1 Replies

2. Solaris

solaris 8 hangs and data access error on reboot

Hi using solaris 5.8 on UltraSPARC-IIi 360MHz. I know it is an old hardware but similiar hardware is running fine. here is the issue, System booted : works okay for some time then display was hung so system was rebooted ..it gave data access error. again rebooted and it came up... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
6 Replies

3. SuSE

External USB disk cannot be mounted

Hi, I am running Suse on a fujitsu server. The problem is that it will no fully load the usb external disk. When plugged in, dmesg shows that indeed a usb disk has been plugged in ,but gives no devpath e.g sda,sdb. lsusb shows the disk vendor (western digital) but nothing else.Whats goin on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulemsee
2 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Corrupted disk on reboot

Could someone please help me. Users were unable to access SCO Server. Attempted to reboot the machine and following error was reported: UX: vxfs mount: ERROR: /dev/dsk/c1b0t3d0s1 is corrupted, needs checking UX: vxfs mount: ERROR: /dev/dsk/c1b0t3d0s2 is corrupted, needs checking etc. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mandarin
4 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

internal disk and external disk question

Hello, We are running sun solaris and it is connected to SAN storage. How do I find what are the disks are internal and what are the disks are connected to SAN? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokkan
0 Replies

6. Linux

External disk

Hi, I connected a external hard disk to my linux machine(Redhat 5) and shared the external hard disk by using NFS. The problem is hard disk becoming read-only file system after some time, could some one please tell me the reason for it. I created two partitions with ext3 filesystem in... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktrimu
10 Replies

7. Hardware

Unrecognized disk label of a external HD

I have a external HD that I can't seem to open. When I try to open it with gparted it says unrecognized disk. When I run gparted from the terminal this is what it says. ~ $ sudo gparted ====================== libparted : 2.2 ====================== /dev/sdb: unrecognised disk label When I... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
18 Replies

8. Red Hat

Installation RHEL in External hard disk.

Hi all. Can i install RHEl5 in a external hard disk, work on lenovo T60 laptop. Plz reply me. Tell me the process. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagaraju.kappal
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Disk in Linux machine are internal or external

How to check whether the disk in linux machine are internal or external ( from nas or san). How to identify internal(local) and external disks. Following are some details of my server. Thanks. #df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda3 15G 3.5G 10G... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: salmanraza
2 Replies

10. Hardware

Unrecognized disk label on my external HD

Hi everyone, I have an external hard drive and I accidentally deleted the partition table. Can I restore my files? If I try to run the f-disk command this is what it says Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors Units =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sampa
1 Replies
INIT.D(7)						       The SuSE boot concept							 INIT.D(7)

NAME
INIT.D - The SuSE boot concept SYNOPSIS
/etc/init.d/* /etc/sysconfig DESCRIPTION
The scripts for controlling the system are placed in /etc/init.d/ (they have been moved according to the Linux Standard Base (LSB) specifi- cation). These scripts are executed directly or indirectly by /sbin/init, the father of all processes. The configuration of /sbin/init is given by the file /etc/inittab (see inittab(5)). At boot time, the boot level master script /etc/init.d/boot is called to initialise the system (e.g. file system check, ...). It also exe- cutes some hardware init scripts linked into /etc/init.d/boot.d/. Then it calls /etc/init.d/boot.local, which executes the local commands. After system startup, /sbin/init will normally switch on the default run level given in /etc/inittab. It calls the run level master script /etc/init.d/rc to start or stop services provided by the other scripts under /etc/init.d/. Both scripts, then boot level master script /etc/init.d/boot and the the run level master script /etc/init.d/rc starts all other boot or runlevel scripts either sequential or partial parallel within their dependencies order. To control the services of a run level, the corresponding scripts are linked into run level directories /etc/init.d/rc<X>.d/, where <X>=0,1,2,3,4,5,6,S is the run level number. There are two kinds of symbolic link: start links, which are called when entering a run level, and stop links, which are called when leav- ing a run level. Note that each service in the run levels 2, 3, 4, and 5 consists of a start and a stop link. Within SuSE boot concept a differential link scheme is used to be able to change a runlevel in comparision with the former level. If parallel executing of the boot scripts is enabled (see /etc/sysconfig/boot variable RUN_PARALLEL) then both master scripts uses the pro- gram startpar(8) which starts or stops multiple services in parallel. Startpar(8) will look for the files /etc/init.d/.depend.boot, /etc/init.d/.depend.start, and /etc/init.d/.depend.stop to get the dependencies for each service. The files will be written, beside the symbolic links in the boot and runlevel directories, by the program insserv(8). To avoid redundant starts when changing run levels, only those services are started which have no start link in the previous run level. And to avoid redundant stops when changing run levels, only those services are stopped which have no start link in the current level. To control this behaviour, the names of the scripts are added on the names of the start and stop links. To control the order of service starts and stops, the start and stop links include a number in their link name. The system configuration files in /etc/sysconfig contain most of the variables used to configure the installed services. These variables can easily be changed by YaST or by using an editor. After using an editor, the script /sbin/SuSEconfig must be called to distribute the settings into the system. Some details The script /etc/init.d/lpd starts or stops the line printer daemon for the printing service, according to the flag used: /etc/init.d/lpd start and /etc/init.d/lpd stop To do this automatically in run level 3, this script is linked into /etc/init.d/rc3.d/ with these two symbolic links /etc/init.d/rc3.d/S20lpd -> ../lpd and /etc/init.d/rc3.d/K20lpd -> ../lpd The corresponding link with the letter S is used to start a service. For the printing service the number between the letter S and the name should be greater than the number of the start link of the network service. The corresponding link with the letter K is used to stop a service. The number of the stop link for the printing service should be less than that of the stop link for the network service so that the printer daemon is stopped before shutting down the network service. Run levels and their services 0 This level is used for halting the system. The only valid service for this level is the script halt, which is linked into /etc/init.d/rc0.d/. The script halt executes /etc/init.d/halt.local. Special system issues for halt or reboot should be added there. 6 This level is used for rebooting the system. The only valid service for this level is the script reboot, which is linked into /etc/init.d/rc6.d/. The script reboot executes /etc/init.d/halt.local. Specials system issues for halt or reboot should be added there. S This mode is used to switch from boot phase into single user mode. The last valid service for this mode is the script single, which is linked into /etc/init.d/rcS.d/. In this mode you have only one console. 1 According to the Linux Standard Base (LSB) specification this runlevel is used to switch from normal runlevel into single user mode. This is different from former SuSE Linux versions! 2 The run level 2 is without remote networking. Note that on some other systems this is identical with the single user mode. This run level can have more than one virtual console. 3 The run level 3 is with network. This run level is for server stations not automatically running X. 5 The level 5 is with network and xdm(1). You should have a configured and perfectly running X Window System for this work station run level. 4 The run level 4 is not (yet) used. /etc/init.d/skeleton This script is a model for writing your own. You can use insserv(8) to include your own script into a run level. FILES
/etc/init.d/* /etc/init.d/boot /etc/init.d/boot.local /etc/init.d/halt /etc/init.d/halt.local /etc/init.d/rc /etc/init.d/reboot /etc/init.d/skeleton /etc/init.d/single /etc/init.d/boot.d/S[0-9][0-9]* /etc/init.d/rc0.d/{K,S}[0-9][0-9]* /etc/init.d/rc1.d/{K,S}[0-9][0-9]* /etc/init.d/rc2.d/{K,S}[0-9][0-9]* /etc/init.d/rc3.d/{K,S}[0-9][0-9]* /etc/init.d/rc4.d/{K,S}[0-9][0-9]* /etc/init.d/rc5.d/{K,S}[0-9][0-9]* /etc/init.d/rc6.d/{K,S}[0-9][0-9]* /etc/init.d/rcS.d/{K,S}[0-9][0-9]* /etc/init.d/.depend.boot /etc/init.d/.depend.start /etc/init.d/.depend.stop /etc/inittab /etc/sysconfig/boot /etc/sysconfig SEE ALSO
insserv(8), startpar(8), init(8), inittab(5), and the SuSE Linux handbook, chapter The SuSE boot concept. COPYRIGHT
1996-2005 SuSE Linux AG, Nuernberg, Germany. AUTHORS
Florian La Roche <http://www.suse.de/feedback>, Werner Fink <werner@suse.de>, Burchard Steinbild <http://www.suse.de/feedback>. 4.4 Berkeley Distribution Nov 15, 2000 INIT.D(7)