Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux how to trace iowait to a certain process Post 302234401 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 9th of September 2008 03:07:08 PM
Old 09-09-2008
iowait means the process is wating to complete an I/O and another process is ahead of it, or the I/O takes a while to complete. It is symptomatic of either poor programming or insufficient memory.

If you happen have RH running a P4 processor there is a known problem with iowait under certain confgurations. search their website for iowait.

This can usually be fixed for RH by updating to the latest kernel and/or putting the following lines into your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file:

echo 100 > /proc/sys/vm/inactive_clean_percent
echo 2 10 20 > /proc/sys/vm/pagecache

DO NOT DO THIS until you are certain what is going on.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

excessive IOWAIT

i have a server constantly have high iowait, but i am not able to tell which process generate the most of io. none commands, such as iostat, sar, top will give me this kind of information. hope there is some command can help me to spot the process generate the most of io let to know input... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giantpanda77
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to reduce IOWAIT in linux

Hi All, Any ideas how to reduce IOWAIT and increase disk speed on Linux server. Server has 4 CPUs and with 8GB RAM. Thanks in advance, Regards, Bache (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
3 Replies

3. AIX

Trace the process responsible for locking filesystem ?

Hi, Sometimes when I want to unmount some filesystem I get "The requested resource is busy." error. In such a case I try to find and kill process that uses that filesystem. I do that on random. Is there a right way to find whitch prosesses use filesystem resource at given time ? thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vilius
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Help to trace process consuming more space

Hi all, We have a server having much processes running. It is very difficuilt to trace the exact consuming more memory. Howerver, it shows CPU usage in sequence but how memory? Tried working with TOP command. Please let me know if something not clear. Thanks, Deepak (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to trace an AIX Process?

Hello, I execute an application on my Unix AIX Server and that one crashes after reading some files. These files are very big (80 Mbytes), the application is a CVS Repository. I have found with a comparaison on a Solaris Server that there are system limitations on my AIX Server in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: steiner
2 Replies

6. AIX

How to trace cpu/memory usage for a process

I don't know when the process will start and end, I need write a script to trace it's cpu/memory usage when it is runing. How to write this script? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
2 Replies

7. Linux

Trace an extinct process

Hi gurus, Just wanted to know if there is any way to trace the PID of a process that has already completed it's job and exited. My tomcat server was found in a hung state and we restarted it. Now we have found that someone has ran a kill -9 "pid" and wanted to know if it is the PID of tomcat.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hari_Ganesh
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to monitor IOwait

Hello, I need to monitor IOwait on a server and have started this script directly on the ssh prompt. Effectively it almost does what it is supposed to do, but I have no idea how to stop it? How can I make it run it as a file based bash script? ( iostat -xk 1 /dev/sdb2 | \ perl... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cuantica
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Trace Process performance Using PID

Hi, i want to track a process using its PID in SOLARIS. i have a code in C++ , which memory is increasing steeply increasing every 20 days, from the code i couldn't see any memory leak. is there any way in UNIX where with the help of PID i can trace the Process usage evry hour. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: senkerth
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Some trace file to track timings of a process

I will initiate a process from Server1 and the flow is as follow Server1 --> Web server --> Application server --> DB Server Note all seperate unix servers. Now I need to put a trace for that process to track the timings from each server. Like the below trace should be there: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saraperu
5 Replies
MPSTAT(1)							Linux User's Manual							 MPSTAT(1)

NAME
mpstat - Report processors related statistics. SYNOPSIS
mpstat [ -A ] [ -I { SUM | CPU | SCPU | ALL } ] [ -u ] [ -P { cpu [,...] | ON | ALL } ] [ -V ] [ interval [ count ] ] DESCRIPTION
The mpstat command writes to standard output activities for each available processor, processor 0 being the first one. Global average activities among all processors are also reported. The mpstat command can be used both on SMP and UP machines, but in the latter, only global average activities will be printed. If no activity has been selected, then the default report is the CPU utilization report. The interval parameter specifies the amount of time in seconds between each report. A value of 0 (or no parameters at all) indicates that processors statistics are to be reported for the time since system startup (boot). The count parameter can be specified in conjunction with the interval parameter if this one is not set to zero. The value of count determines the number of reports generated at interval sec- onds apart. If the interval parameter is specified without the count parameter, the mpstat command generates reports continuously. OPTIONS
-A This option is equivalent to specifying -I ALL -u -P ALL -I { SUM | CPU | SCPU | ALL } Report interrupts statistics. With the SUM keyword, the mpstat command reports the total number of interrupts per processor. The following values are displayed: CPU Processor number. The keyword all indicates that statistics are calculated as averages among all processors. intr/s Show the total number of interrupts received per second by the CPU or CPUs. With the CPU keyword, the number of each individual interrupt received per second by the CPU or CPUs is displayed. With the SCPU keyword, the number of each individual software interrupt received per second by the CPU or CPUs is displayed. This option works only with kernels 2.6.31 and later. The ALL keyword is equivalent to specifying all the keywords above and therefore all the interrupts statistics are displayed. -P { cpu [,...] | ON | ALL } Indicate the processor number for which statistics are to be reported. cpu is the processor number. Note that processor 0 is the first processor. The ON keyword indicates that statistics are to be reported for every online processor, whereas the ALL keyword indicates that statistics are to be reported for all processors. -u Report CPU utilization. The following values are displayed: CPU Processor number. The keyword all indicates that statistics are calculated as averages among all processors. %usr Show the percentage of CPU utilization that occurred while executing at the user level (application). %nice Show the percentage of CPU utilization that occurred while executing at the user level with nice priority. %sys Show the percentage of CPU utilization that occurred while executing at the system level (kernel). Note that this does not include time spent servicing hardware and software interrupts. %iowait Show the percentage of time that the CPU or CPUs were idle during which the system had an outstanding disk I/O request. %irq Show the percentage of time spent by the CPU or CPUs to service hardware interrupts. %soft Show the percentage of time spent by the CPU or CPUs to service software interrupts. %steal Show the percentage of time spent in involuntary wait by the virtual CPU or CPUs while the hypervisor was servicing another virtual processor. %guest Show the percentage of time spent by the CPU or CPUs to run a virtual processor. %idle Show the percentage of time that the CPU or CPUs were idle and the system did not have an outstanding disk I/O request. Note: On SMP machines a processor that does not have any activity at all is a disabled (offline) processor. -V Print version number then exit. ENVIRONMENT
The mpstat command takes into account the following environment variable: S_TIME_FORMAT If this variable exists and its value is ISO then the current locale will be ignored when printing the date in the report header. The mpstat command will use the ISO 8601 format (YYYY-MM-DD) instead. EXAMPLES
mpstat 2 5 Display five reports of global statistics among all processors at two second intervals. mpstat -P ALL 2 5 Display five reports of statistics for all processors at two second intervals. BUGS
/proc filesystem must be mounted for the mpstat command to work. Only a few activities are given by the Linux kernel for each processor. FILES
/proc contains various files with system statistics. AUTHOR
Sebastien Godard (sysstat <at> orange.fr) SEE ALSO
sar(1), pidstat(1), iostat(1), vmstat(8) http://pagesperso-orange.fr/sebastien.godard/ Linux AUGUST 2011 MPSTAT(1)