Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Simple script for separating files Post 302233913 by hertingm on Monday 8th of September 2008 07:59:15 PM
Old 09-08-2008
Thanks for all your help! That did help a bit, at least got me started on the right foot. So I changed things a bit (see below). However, when I run it the first 23 files don't end up in a directory, and it all ends up in a directory called DTI5. Is there anyway to count the files and after counting them say move file #1 thru #23 to directory DTI1, move file #24 thru #46 to directory DTI2, and so on AND THEN tell it to stop counting at file number 92 if there happens to be more files in the source directory???

#!/bin/csh

# Here are the variables that you will need to change:
################################################################################
mkdir DTI1
mkdir DTI2
mkdir DTI3
mkdir DTI4

set number_of_files = 23 # This is the number of files that you expect
# to store in each directory
set source_dir = ./ # changed this to the current directory I want it run in (has all 92 files)
set target_dir = DTI # This is the prefix that you'll use for your
# folder tree. You'll likely wish to change it

# Here are the 'static' variables that you will not change:
################################################################################
#this number will increment the count cap
set count = 0
#iteration counters
set folder_counter = 1 # Starts at one, such that multiplication issues don't arise
set counter = 0

# Get your list of files - (I don't want them by date, they are already in order so I just list them)
Smilie
foreach file ( `ls $source_dir` )
@ counter = $counter + 1
@ count = $number_of_files * $folder_counter #First time 'round, this is 3, then 6

# First, check to see if you should move on to the next folder or not...
# - adding a 'move' request to ensure that the file is not skipped
if ($counter > $count) then
@ folder_counter++
mv $source_dir/$file $target_dir$folder_counter
endif

# Since you didn't need to increment the folder_counter - move the file as if nothing happened...
if ($counter <= ($count)) then
mv $source_dir/$file $target_dir$folder_counter
endif

end

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple script uploading *.dem files to an ftp

Hello.. i want to create a simple script that's upload all the *.dem files from one directory to ftp and then delete them. Any help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TuXaKoS
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging files into a single tab delimited file with a space separating

I have a folder that contains say 50 files in a sequential order: cdf_1.txt cdf_2.txt cdf_3.txt cdf_3.txt . . . cdf_50.txt. I need to merge these files in the same order into a single tab delimited file. I used the following shell script: for x in {1..50}; do cat cdf_${x}.txt >>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

any script for joining files based on simple conditions

Condition1; If NPID and IndID of both input1 and input2 are same take all the vaues relevant to them and print together as output Condition2; IDNo in output: Take the highly repeated same letter of similar NPID-IndID as *1* Second highly repeated same letter... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: stateperl
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple script to count files

Hello, I am new to shell scripting and I need your help. I have found similar scripts in the forum but I need further assistance. I am building a script to use hourly in cron to mailx me if the number of files in a path is less than e.g 100 I have started with the following: #!/bin/sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple script to find common strings in two files

Hi , I want to write a simple script. I have two files file1: BCSpeciality Backend CB CBAPQualDisp CBCimsVFTRCK CBDSNQualDisp CBDefault CBDisney CBFaxMCGen CBMCGeneral CBMCQualDisp file2: CSpeciality Backend (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separating Pattern Into Separate Files

I am trying to separate a specific pattern match into separate files. Sometimes there is only one pattern match, but other times there could be multiple (up to 6 or 8). Pattern is as follows - its starts with NYZ or VTZ and ends with $$. Again looking to get those blocks of data from one big... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Double-E
17 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple version control script for text files

HI guys, Could you help me writing a simple version control script for a text files. the format could be ./version_control <file(s)> (I want it to be able to work with more than 1 file at the same time) commands are add and get, add means you add new file(s) to the archive, get means you... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s3270226
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separating list of input files (*.file) with a comma in bash script

Hi all, I'm trying to get a bash script working for a program (bowtie) which takes a list of input files (*.fastq) and assembles them to an output file (outfile.sam). All the .fastq files are in one folder in my home directory (~/infiles). The problem is that the 'bowtie' requires that... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: TuAd
7 Replies

9. Programming

Separating two classes in two files

I have a file Map.hh shown below. I want to put the two classes Phase and Map in two different files Phase.hh and Map.hh. I have forward declaration before the Map class. How can I tackle this situation? ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// #ifndef... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to generate a csv files by separating the values from the input file based on position?

Hi All, I need help for doing the following. I have a input file like: aaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb cccbbbbbaaaaaadddddaaaabbbbbbb now I am trying to generate a output csv file where i will have for e.g. 0-3 chars of each line as the first column in the csv, 4-10 chars of the line as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: babom
3 Replies
Web::Simple::Deployment(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			      Web::Simple::Deployment(3pm)

NAME
Web::Simple::Deployment - various deployment options DESCRIPTION
This file documents common deployment methods for Web::Simple. If you feel one is missing, please ask in the IRC channel and we'll work with you to add it. CGI
The most basic deployment option is as a CGI script loading and running your Web::Simple-module: #!/usr/bin/env perl use Your::Web::Simple::App; Your::Web::Simple::App->run_if_script; Save that as script.cgi and your web server will handle it correctly. Plack-Server This works in with exactly the same code as CGI deployment. However instead of letting your web server load script.cgi, you run this on the command line: plackup script.cgi Self-contained CGI Sometimes your app is so small that you have only one or two tiny classes that you want to run as a CGI script. Web::Simple offers a helpful mechanism to achieve that. #!/usr/bin/env perl use Web::Simple 'HelloWorld'; # enables strictures and warnings for the file # additionally, HelloWorld is upgraded to a # Web::Simple application { package HelloWorld; sub dispatch_request { sub (GET) { [ 200, [ 'Content-type', 'text/plain' ], [ 'Hello world! It is a fine ' . HelloWorld::Helper->day ] ] }, sub () { [ 405, [ 'Content-type', 'text/plain' ], [ 'Method not allowed' ] ] } } } { package HelloWorld::Helper; use DateTime; sub day { return DateTime->now->day_name; } } HelloWorld->run_if_script; AUTHORS
See Web::Simple for authors. COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
See Web::Simple for the copyright and license. perl v5.14.2 2012-05-07 Web::Simple::Deployment(3pm)