Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting A problem for sed? Remove parts of a string Post 302233835 by pcrs on Monday 8th of September 2008 03:35:32 PM
Old 09-08-2008
Hi,
I have noticed that it is all to slow to loop though the whole variable in a shell script. There may be hundreds or thousands path/filenames in the variable. Thatīs why I hope it is possible to solve with a tool like sed.

Thanks,
Rick

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove spaces in a string using sed.

Hello, I have the following to remove spaces from beginning and end of a string. infile=`echo "$infilename" | sed 's/^ *//;s/ *$//` How do I modify the above code to remove spaces from beginning, end and in the middle of the string also. ex: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed problem - replacement string should be same length as matching string.

Hi guys, I hope you can help me with my problem. I have a text file that contains lines like this: 78 ANGELO -809.05 79 ANGELO2 -5,000.06 I need to find all occurences of amounts that are negative and replace them with x's 78 ANGELO xxxxxxx 79... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amangeles
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove all matches in a string with sed

if I have "abxcdxefx" and want to remove the x's with sed, how can I do this? Thanks. WHOOPS: Just remembered: echo "abxcdxefx" | sed s/x//g Thanks for reading, though. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lumix
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

use sed to remove year from string?

Hi guys, I have been trying to play with sed to accomplish this but I just can't quite get it right. I need to be able to remove the year from a string held in a variable in my bash script. The string may have multiple words but always ends with a year such as (2009) for example: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tret
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed is doing my head in! How do you remove the first character of a string?

Hello! Please bare with me, I'm a total newbie to scripting. Here's the sudo code of what I'm trying to do: Get file name Does file exist? If true get length of file name get network id (this will be the last 3 numbers of the file name) loop x 2 If... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KatieV
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove parts from a filename

I want to remove the beginning and end of a filename and keep the middle. E.g. tempblast7114_1#21110932.out_ the current filename I want it to be called 7114_1#21 only How would I do this?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avonm
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate chars and sort string [SED]

Hi, INPUT: DCBADD OUTPUT: ABCD The SED script should alphabetically sort the chars in the string and remove the duplicate chars. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jds93
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to remove a word from string

Hello All, I am running a command find . -name amp.cfg | cut -c 3- which gives me output something like below rel/prod/amp.cfg rel/fld/amp.cfg deb/detail/amp.cfg deb/err/amp.cfg I want to remove trailing "/amp.cfg" so that i should get output something like... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed awk to remove the , in a string

Dear All, Can anyone help to remove the , bewteen "" in a string by using sed or awk? e.g. input : 1,4,5,"abcdef","we,are,here",4,"help hep" output:1,4,5,"abcdef","wearehere",4,"help hep" Thanks, Mimi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mimilaw
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed remove everything between two string

Hi all, I have this input: "203324780",,"89321213261247090146","VfdsD150","0D","fd3221","V0343","aaa","Direkt","fsa","2015.02.27","39833,54454,21214",,,"fd","NORMAL","D","10fd","1243 Flotta","HiĂĄnytalan","2013.02.25",,"2013.02.25","2013.02.24","2013.02.28",,"SajĂĄt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: snayper
4 Replies
GIT-WEB--BROWSE(1)						    Git Manual							GIT-WEB--BROWSE(1)

NAME
git-web--browse - Git helper script to launch a web browser SYNOPSIS
git web--browse [OPTIONS] URL/FILE ... DESCRIPTION
This script tries, as much as possible, to display the URLs and FILEs that are passed as arguments, as HTML pages in new tabs on an already opened web browser. The following browsers (or commands) are currently supported: o firefox (this is the default under X Window when not using KDE) o iceweasel o seamonkey o iceape o chromium (also supported as chromium-browser) o google-chrome (also supported as chrome) o konqueror (this is the default under KDE, see Note about konqueror below) o opera o w3m (this is the default outside graphical environments) o elinks o links o lynx o dillo o open (this is the default under Mac OS X GUI) o start (this is the default under MinGW) o cygstart (this is the default under Cygwin) o xdg-open Custom commands may also be specified. OPTIONS
-b <browser>, --browser=<browser> Use the specified browser. It must be in the list of supported browsers. -t <browser>, --tool=<browser> Same as above. -c <conf.var>, --config=<conf.var> CONF.VAR is looked up in the Git config files. If it's set, then its value specifies the browser that should be used. CONFIGURATION VARIABLES
CONF.VAR (from -c option) and web.browser The web browser can be specified using a configuration variable passed with the -c (or --config) command-line option, or the web.browser configuration variable if the former is not used. browser.<tool>.path You can explicitly provide a full path to your preferred browser by setting the configuration variable browser.<tool>.path. For example, you can configure the absolute path to firefox by setting browser.firefox.path. Otherwise, git web--browse assumes the tool is available in PATH. browser.<tool>.cmd When the browser, specified by options or configuration variables, is not among the supported ones, then the corresponding browser.<tool>.cmd configuration variable will be looked up. If this variable exists then git web--browse will treat the specified tool as a custom command and will use a shell eval to run the command with the URLs passed as arguments. NOTE ABOUT KONQUEROR
When konqueror is specified by a command-line option or a configuration variable, we launch kfmclient to try to open the HTML man page on an already opened konqueror in a new tab if possible. For consistency, we also try such a trick if browser.konqueror.path is set to something like A_PATH_TO/konqueror. That means we will try to launch A_PATH_TO/kfmclient instead. If you really want to use konqueror, then you can use something like the following: [web] browser = konq [browser "konq"] cmd = A_PATH_TO/konqueror Note about git-config --global Note that these configuration variables should probably be set using the --global flag, for example like this: $ git config --global web.browser firefox as they are probably more user specific than repository specific. See git-config(1) for more information about this. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-WEB--BROWSE(1)