Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers access each character in a string Post 302233588 by jim mcnamara on Monday 8th of September 2008 05:10:40 AM
Old 09-08-2008
bash has special builtins for this, but on any unix box:
Code:
count=1
string="00100011"
while [[ $count -le ${#string}
do
     tmp=$(expr substr $string $count 1)
     echo $tmp
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete first 2 character from string

Hi ! All, I have to delete first 2 characters from string. How its possible? Like string value is "2001". I required output as "01" Plaese help me. Nitin (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitinshinde
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Testing the last character in a string

Hi In the shell scripted I'm trying to write! I would like to test the last character in a string. The string is a path/directory and I want to see if the last character is a '/'. The string (path/directory) is inputted by a user. If the '/' character isn't present then I want to be able to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbrundrett
11 Replies

3. Programming

converting character string to hex string

HI Hi I have a character string which contains some special characters and I need it to display as a hex string. For example, the sample i/p string: ×¥ïA Å gïÛý and the o/p should be : D7A5EF4100C5010067EFDBFD Any pointers or sample code pls. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to display only last character of a string?

hi all, if i do an: "echo $string |" what should be after the pipe to display ONLY the last char of the output? tia, DN2 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DukeNuke2
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn: How to loop through a string character by character

If I have a string defined as: MyString=abcde echo $MyString How can I loop through it character by character? I haven't been able to find a way to index the string so that I loop through it. shew01 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shew01
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting the last character of a string

How to extract the last character of a string in bash? ---------- Post updated at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:55 PM ---------- Suppose "abcde" is a string. i want to extract the last character i.e. "e". (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl to access character from string

This it to pring 'i' character. #!/usr/bin/perl $str="This is perl"; print $str; Must i split the string to access a character from string? How can i print characters individually using a for loop? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How the user process can access the character device loaded by my module

I am trying to load into the kernel a system-call dynamically (without restarting the kernel and compailing it) in an attempt to (once in kernel mode) write to user process's memory. (I know there is a way to do this with the ptrace interface but it is not an option.) I know the only way to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hopelessProgram
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I match the particular character in the string?

Hi, I want to check out a word in the text file and generate a clear report for me to see... The text file content: Content: ............ 20120608: 20120608: ............ 20120608: .......... 2012031201: , hime] End of the file My expected output is: Full TXT: manatsu TXT:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: meroko
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or traili

Hi, Anyone can help using SED searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or trailing space/blank. Text file : "1"|"ExternalClassDEA519CF5"|"Art1" "2"|"ExternalClass563EA516C"|"Art3" "3"|"ExternalClass305ED16B8"|"Art9" ... ... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
2 Replies
STRING(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 STRING(3)

NAME
strcat, strncat, strcmp, strncmp, strcasecmp, strncasecmp, strcpy, strncpy, strlen, index, rindex - string operations SYNOPSIS
#include <strings.h> char *strcat(s, append) char *s, *append; char *strncat(s, append, count) char *s, *append; int count; strcmp(s1, s2) char *s1, *s2; strncmp(s1, s2, count) char *s1, *s2; int count; strcasecmp(s1, s2) char *s1, *s2; strncasecmp(s1, s2, count) char *s1, *s2; int count; char *strcpy(to, from) char *to, *from; char *strncpy(to, from, count) char *to, *from; int count; strlen(s) char *s; char *index(s, c) char *s, c; char *rindex(s, c) char *s, c; DESCRIPTION
These functions operate on null-terminated strings. They do not check for overflow of any receiving string. Strcat appends a copy of string append to the end of string s. Strncat copies at most count characters. Both return a pointer to the null- terminated result. Strcmp compares its arguments and returns an integer greater than, equal to, or less than 0, according as s1 is lexicographically greater than, equal to, or less than s2. Strncmp makes the same comparison but looks at at most count characters. Strcasecmp and strncasecmp are identical in function, but are case insensitive. The returned lexicographic difference reflects a conversion to lower-case. Strcpy copies string from to to, stopping after the null character has been moved. Strncpy copies exactly count characters, appending nulls if from is less than count characters in length; the target may not be null-terminated if the length of from is count or more. Both return to. Strlen returns the number of non-null characters in s. Index (rindex) returns a pointer to the first (last) occurrence of character c in string s or zero if c does not occur in the string. Set- ting c to NULL works. 4th Berkeley Distribution October 22, 1987 STRING(3)