Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting PERL cgi script... extra character driving me crazy Post 302233436 by audiophile on Sunday 7th of September 2008 07:32:31 PM
Old 09-07-2008
PERL cgi script... extra character driving me crazy

I'm using a PERL cgi script that uses rrdtool to make graphs. I can't get the syntax correct to use a degree sign (alt+0176 like this °) and also using a variable.

If I use single quotes, I can't call the variable. If I use double quotes, there is an extra symbol (Â) before the ° which goes away if I use double quotes without the variable.

A picture is worth 1000 words (I circled the error in pink):

Here is the relevant line of code that produces that extra letter:
Code:
"GPRINT:rech_c:LAST: %5.2lf °F set in $rhty \\n",

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix driving me crazy

:( :confused: what is performed by the following unix command: grep -v Jane project1.txt and grep ' 5\..' janet.txt (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tendernisin
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pleas help..this is driving me crazy

Hi, I've created a script in csh that takes a file and checks it for mispelled words. Im almost done but I need to do two more things but I need help. First, when displaying an incorrect word to the user, I need to show the line of the input file that contains the word. Second,if the user... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hckygoli31
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape Characters are driving me crazy!

Hi everyone, Is there anywhere I can find a complete table of all characters that must be escaped by the various UNIX shells and scripting languages? It seems every command/shell/scripting language has different rules about what characters must be escaped. I do a lot of searching and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: troym72
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable with @ sign is driving me crazy

Ok so I am working on a command that is going to do a Dig @ a certain IP address which is enclosed in a variable. Now I thought I had this figure out because it works. The problem is that it does not ALWAYS work. the variable is IP=192.168.1.1 the commands I have tried are dig... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrEddy
2 Replies

5. Web Development

perl cgi script not working

Hello, Met a problem learning perl cgi script. 1 #!/usr/bin/perl -wT 2 3 use strict; 4 use CGI qw(:standard); 5 6 my $q = new CGI; 7 8 my $filename = $q->param('/home/yifangt/hello.cgi'); 9 my $contenttype = $q->uploadInfo($filename)->{'Content-Type'}; 10... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX/Linux/Distributions - driving me crazy...

Hello there, first of all: I do not want to become a hacker. you cannot do that. you cannot learn that from a book. Don't think I'm some kind of a script-kiddie. now that's settled let's start. I've been trying around with a lot of OS lately. I have backtrack5 installed on my notebook,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dr. Nick
10 Replies

7. Web Development

problem with exporting vairable from one perl cgi to another perl cgi script while redirecting.

Can anyone tell me how to export a variable from one perl CGI script to another perl cgi script when using a redirect. Upon running the login.pl the user is prompted to enter user name and password. Upon entering the correct credentials (admin/admin) the user is redirected to welcome page. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun_Linux
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : embedding java script with cgi perl script

Hi All, I am aware that html tags can be embedded in cgi script as below.. In the same way is it possible to embed the below javascript in perl cgi script ?? print("<form action="action.htm" method="post" onSubmit="return submitForm(this.Submitbutton)">"); print("<input type = "text"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl cgi pages out of cgi-bin folder in WINDOWS

Hi team, I have a typical problem with cgi pages in apache webserver in WINDOWS I am able to execute(display) the pages that are saved in cgi-bin folder. But I am not able to execute the pages stored in htdocs or other folder other than cgi-bin folder. Could anyone please let me know how... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl CGI : unable to download the excel sheet from perl cgi page

Hi All, I have written an cgi perl script that displays an image(Excel image) and when clicked on that Image I need to download a excel sheet. I made sure that excel sheet exists in the folder with the given name but still I am not able to download the sheet. print "<center><table... (2 Replies)
2 Replies
HOBBITGRAPH.CGI(1)					      General Commands Manual						HOBBITGRAPH.CGI(1)

NAME
hobbitgraph.cgi - CGI to generate Xymon trend graphs SYNOPSIS
hobbitgraph [options] DESCRIPTION
hobbitgraph.cgi is invoked as a CGI script via the hobbitgraph.sh CGI wrapper. hobbitgraph.cgi is passed a QUERY_STRING environment variable with the following parameters: host Name of the host to generate a graph for service Name of the service to generate a graph for disp Display-name of the host, used on the generated graphs instead of hostname. graph Can be "hourly", "daily", "weekly" or "monthly" to select the time period that the graph covers. first Used to split multi-graphs into multiple graphs. This causes hobbitgraph.cgi to generate only the graphs starting with the "first'th" graph and continuing for "count". count Number of graphs in a multi-graph. upper Set the upper limit of the graph. See rrdgraph(1) for a description of the "-u" option. lower Set the lower limit of the graph. See rrdgraph(1) for a description of the "-l" option. graph_start Set the starttime of the graph. This is used in zoom-mode. graph_end Set the end-time of the graph. This is used in zoom-mode. action=menu Generate an HTML page with links to 4 graphs, representing the hourly, weekly, monthly and yearly graphs. Doesn't actually gen- erate any graphs, only the HTML that links to the graphs. action=selzoom Generate an HTML page with link to single graph, and with JavaScript code that lets the user select part of the graph for a zoom-operation. The JavaScript invokes hobbitgraph.cgi with "action=showzoom" to generate the zoomed graph webpage. action=showzoom Generate HTML with a link to the zoomed graph image. This link goes to an "action=view" invocation of hobbitgraph.cgi. action=view Generate a single graph image. OPTIONS
--config=FILENAME Loads the graph configuration file from FILENAME. If not specified, the file $BBHOME/etc/hobbitgraph.cfg is used. See the hobbit- graph.cfg(5) for details about this file. --env=FILENAME Loads the environment settings defined in FILENAME before executing the CGI. --rrddir=DIRECTORY The top-level directory for the RRD files. If not specified, the directory given by the BBRRDS environment is used. --save=FILENAME Instead of returning the image via the CGI interface (i.e. on stdout), save the generated image to FILENAME. --debug Enable debugging output. ENVIRONMENT
QUERY_STRING Provided by the webserver CGI interface, this decides what graph to generate. FILES
hobbitgraph.cfg: The configuration file determining how graphs are generated from RRD files. SEE ALSO
hobbitgraph.cfg(5), xymon(7), rrdtool(1) Xymon Version 4.2.3: 4 Feb 2009 HOBBITGRAPH.CGI(1)