Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FTP to Mainframes from Unix
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers FTP to Mainframes from Unix Post 302233215 by jim mcnamara on Saturday 6th of September 2008 06:30:50 PM
Old 09-06-2008
vbe is right. You may have to dd to pack the file into a format that mvs can translate.
The problem is definitely on the mainframe side - dealing with 'weird' unix files. Since it is probably easier to reformat on the unix side, make the file match the definition of the record structure in the recordset first, then FTP the improved file over....

ftp will translate carriage control information to channel control on the MVS side if the incoming file matches what the recordset expects.

I've been away from mvs/tso longer than you can imagine... so take that into consideration.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP file to Mainframes

Hi, Can somebody please share a sample Korn shell script that will FTP a file from an Unix box to a region in Mainframe.It will be of great help if i can get this script ASAP.Or atleast give me a hint on how to do it. Thanks, Gopi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhgopi
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP script to FTP file to UNIX - Solaris

Hello, A couple of times per week, i receive emails notifications when files are available for processing. Currently i read these eamails with a java program and store the attachement on my C: drive and would now like to generate a PC script to send this file name up to UNIX-Solaris and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobk544
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File FTP to Unix from Mainframes.

Hi I have got one file FTPd from mainframe in an ASCII format in Unix environment. If I have to deduce record width within this file, each approach we are finding different record width. head -1 filename | wc -m awk '{print length($0)}' filename ... lists record width for all records. sed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

MVS->Unix FTP : Using chmod as part of FTP.

We are transferring file from mainframes to unix, & in FTP process itself we would like to set access rights for unix machine. Has anyone used chmod command in association with site command in ftp? How it should be used? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: videsh77
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to FTP file usinf shell script to Mainframes

Hi , Please help me FTP an output file to mainframes using Mainframes. I have no idea how to FTP to mainframes. :( I need to deploy my code by next week. The code is ready but the client's requirement is that i need to ftp all the output file to the mainframes server. I created the dataset... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepthimathew
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem in FTP from Unix to Mainframes

Hi, I have one file to FTP from Unix to mainframe. It has been successfully FTPied. But problem is my Unix file will be generated as file_name1.sh. But Mainframes side they need file in file.name1.sh. So they dont need underscore (_) in the file name. Please let me know if there is any solution... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manneni prakash
1 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

Using sftp from mainframes to other server

HI all I need a script that would take the file from a mainframe to another server.Presently i am using a ndm but i am not knowing what the changes would be required to change to sftp. Can you please provide some code that would be helpful Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: msandeep27
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connect Direct for copying files from Mainframes to UNIX

Hai Friends, Please help me in providing unix shell script for pulling data from mainframe dataset to unix using connect direct (NDM). Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthikm
1 Replies
MVS(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    MVS(4)

NAME
mvs -- Marvell Serial ATA Host Controller driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device pci device scbus device mvs Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): mvs_load="YES" The following tunables are settable from the loader(8): hint.mvs.X.msi controls Message Signaled Interrupts (MSI) usage by the specified controller. hint.mvs.X.ccc controls Command Completion Coalescing (CCC) usage by the specified controller. Non-zero value enables CCC and defines maximum time (in us), request can wait for interrupt. CCC reduces number of context switches on systems with many parallel requests, but it can decrease disk per- formance on some workloads due to additional command latency. hint.mvs.X.cccc defines number of completed commands for CCC, which trigger interrupt without waiting for specified coalescing timeout. hint.mvs.X.pm_level controls SATA interface Power Management for the specified channel, allowing some power to be saved at the cost of additional command latency. Possible values: 0 interface Power Management is disabled (default); 1 device is allowed to initiate PM state change, host is passive; 4 driver initiates PARTIAL PM state transition 1ms after port becomes idle; 5 driver initiates SLUMBER PM state transition 125ms after port becomes idle. Note that interface Power Management is not compatible with device presence detection. A manual bus reset is needed on device hot-plug. hint.mvs.X.sata_rev setting to nonzero value limits maximum SATA revision (speed). Values 1, 2 and 3 are respectively 1.5, 3 and 6Gbps. DESCRIPTION
This driver provides the CAM(4) subsystem with native access to the SATA ports of several generations (Gen-I/II/IIe) of Marvell SATA con- trollers. Each SATA port found is represented to CAM as a separate bus with one target, or, if HBA supports Port Multipliers (Gen-II/IIe), 16 targets. Most of the bus-management details are handled by the SATA-specific transport of CAM. Connected ATA disks are handled by the ATA protocol disk peripheral driver ada(4). ATAPI devices are handled by the SCSI protocol peripheral drivers cd(4), da(4), sa(4), etc. Driver features include support for Serial ATA and ATAPI devices, Port Multipliers (including FIS-based switching, when supported), hardware command queues (up to 31 command per port), Native Command Queuing, SATA interface Power Management, device hot-plug and Message Signaled Interrupts. Same hardware is also supported by atamarvell and ataadaptec drivers from ata(4) subsystem. If both drivers are loaded at the same time, this one will be given precedence as the more functional of the two. HARDWARE
The mvs driver supports the following controllers: Gen-I (SATA 1.5Gbps): o 88SX5040 o 88SX5041 o 88SX5080 o 88SX5081 Gen-II (SATA 3Gbps, NCQ, PMP): o 88SX6040 o 88SX6041 (including Adaptec 1420SA) o 88SX6080 o 88SX6081 Gen-IIe (SATA 3Gbps, NCQ, PMP with FBS): o 88SX6042 o 88SX7042 (including Adaptec 1430SA) o 88F5182 SoC o 88F6281 SoC o MV78100 SoC Note, that this hardware supports command queueing and FIS-based switching only for ATA DMA commands. ATAPI and non-DMA ATA commands executed one by one for each port. SEE ALSO
ada(4), ata(4), cam(4), cd(4), da(4), sa(4) HISTORY
The mvs driver first appeared in FreeBSD 8.1. AUTHORS
Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
April 27, 2010 BSD