Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Development of Unix
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Development of Unix Post 302233171 by BOFH on Saturday 6th of September 2008 11:43:55 AM
Old 09-06-2008
The observation you're making is that Windows Powershell is very consistent. Commands are easy to understand and have consistent options across the commands.

What you should realize is that Unix is a collection of tools written by lots of folks over many years. So there isn't much in the way of consistency. Tools were written to achieve a task and then passed to others who either used them, expanded them, or even provided their own versions (grep, egrep, fgrep).

A quick wikipedia check shows that Xerox came out with the first GUI as we all know. Then Apple with the Mac in Jan of 84. The X Window system came out in 84 as well with Microsoft following (as always) with Windows in 1985.

So Microsoft just saw a tool being installed (cygwin for instance) and their existing tool wasn't up to the job (otherwise cygwin wouldn't have been created just like other Unix tools) so they came out with the Powershell.

I don't keep up on everything but the Windows admin at work tells me that Windows Server 2008 can be installed as a cli without the gui.

Personally I started out as a typesetter. Everything was a code to format the text. Font size, type, center, etc but no WYSIWYG. I learned how to program on the Radio Shack Color Computer. My first computer job was programming on a Franklin (Apple II clone), TRS-80, and Leading Edge. So I seem to be very command line oriented. I feel a GUI for more than simple tasks (like typing in text on a forum Smilie ) to be overly complicated to use Smilie

I do feel there is a place for a GUI. I have a Mac Powerbook with my music and I have fun with my Windows box with the three monitors for programming and gaming. I have cygwin installed and currently have three windows open to my personal servers. But the servers aren't running a GUI either and I make it a point to identify and remove running Window sessions on my Linux and Solaris servers. It's a 1U or 2U in a rack with no monitor, why the heck is a GUI running on it?

Anyway. I find CLI to be easier for me. A man page tells me exactly what I need and I can script out tasks.

Carl

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix Serial Driver Development

Hi Friends, I have an immediate requiement to develop a virtual serial communication driver for UNIX based system. The driver should be able to receive all the data, transmitted through the serial port. My goal is to get all the data transmitted through the serial port, do some modification in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: santhoshac
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Help !....pls i require All n Everything About Unix -History,Development..evrthg

i need to know abt Unix Development,History,Features n Everything..... :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shank
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between development and Production unix servers for a application??

Hi all I am running a major script of my application in development for implementing code changes for process improvement in time. The script runs in production once in a month . It takes 8 hours 30 mins in Production server . what surprice me is , when I run the same script in development server... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best development language to monitor the unix server

Hi, I am supposed to create the website to perform some monitoring and management activities on unix server. Activities includes cpu usage,displays currently runing processes,deleting files on the server and so on. Please tell which is best web based language(.net or java) to develop... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: S_venkatesh
6 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Move From Unix Administration to Development???

Hi Guys, I am into unix administration past few years, i am interested in development, Purely from the Job Market View, should i shift from administration and move to development, will it reduce the options i have (i mean not many companies are into development) Suggestions/Opinions ??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpdevul
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

scope of oracle plsql development /unix shell scripting

I am working in production support in an leading bank and more of my job is more in oracle/plsql. I am learning unix shell scripting and have started development in the same.I would like to know regarding the scope of these two in the industry.Also would like to know about other scripting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jesthomas
2 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

UNIX Admin rail roaded to be java/jboss guy for development

Any Unix Admins out there who were tasked with upgrading and maintaining java/jboss installs and possibly related apps? How did it work out? Any tools to allow developers to tweak their java settings, like a console? I just started looking into this, if anyone has experience I'd appreciate... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: allenhibbert
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching from production to development envirornment in UNIX

I had a unix scripts in prod. I need to made changes in those scripts which I don't have the edit access. I need to move those scripts from prod to dev to edit. Please tell me how to switch from production to development, So that I can made changes in dev and again move those scripts to Prod. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeswararao
3 Replies

9. Linux

UNIX Utility Development Conventions?

I'm slowly hacking away at a zsh script that shows some promise as a command line tool. I want to learn more about the conventions regarding command line tool development in Unix (and/or macOS), but don't really know where to look for this information. What is the correct way, or convention, to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MonilGomes
2 Replies
xpamethod(7)							SAORD Documentation						      xpamethod(7)

NAME
XPAMethod - XPA Communication Methods SYNOPSIS
XPA supports both inet and unix (local) socket communication. DESCRIPTION
XPA uses sockets for communication between processes. It supports three methods of socket communication: inet, localhost, and unix. In gen- eral, the same method should be employed for all XPA processes in a session and the global environment variable XPA_METHOD should be used to set up the desired method. By default, the preferred method is "inet", which is appropriate for most users. You can set up a different method by typing something like: setenv XPA_METHOD local # unix csh XPA_METHOD=local; export XPA_METHOD # unix sh, bash, windows/cygwin set XPA_METHOD=localhost # dos/windows The options for XPA_METHOD are: inet, unix (or local), and localhost. On Unix machines, this environment setup command can be placed in your shell init file (.cshrc, .profile, .bashrc, etc.) On Windows platforms, it can be placed in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file (I think!). By default, inet sockets are used by XPA. These are the standard Internet sockets that are used by programs such as Netscape, ftp. etc. Inet sockets utilize the IP address of the given machine and a (usually random) port number to communicate between processes on the same machine or between different machines on the Internet. (Note that XPA has an Access Control mechanism to prevent unauthorized access of XPA access points by other computers on the Net). For users connected to the Internet, this usually is the appropriate communication method. For more information about setting up XPA communication between machines, see Communication Between Machines. In you are using XPA on a machine without an Internet connection, then inet sockets are not appropriate. In fact, an XPA process often will hang for many seconds while waiting for a response from the Domain Name Service (DNS) when using inet sockets. Instead of inet sockets, users on Unix platforms can also use unix sockets (also known as local sockets). These sockets are based on the local file system and do not make use of the DNS. They generally are considered to be faster than inet sockets, but they are not implemented under Windows. Use local sockets as a first resort if you are on a Unix machine that is not connected to the Internet. Users not connected to the Internet also can use localhost sockets. These are also inet-type sockets but the IP address used for the local machine is the localhost address, 0x7F000001, instead of the real IP of the machine. Depending on how sockets are set up for a given plat- form, communication with the DNS usually is not required in this case (though of course, XPA cannot interact with other machines). The localhost method will generally work on both Unix and Windows platforms, but whether the DNS is required or not is subject to individual configurations. A final warning/reminder: if your XPA-enabled server hangs at startup time and your XPA_METHOD is inet, the problem probably is related to an incorrect Internet configuration. This can be confirmed by using the unix method or (usually) the localhost method. You can use these alternate methods if other hosts do not need access to the XPA server. SEE ALSO
See xpa(7) for a list of XPA help pages version 2.1.14 June 7, 2012 xpamethod(7)