Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris unable to reset user password Post 302233143 by incredible on Saturday 6th of September 2008 08:59:03 AM
Old 09-06-2008
Is the user a/c listed in the passwd and shadow file? If yes, try removing the encrypted passwd in the shadow file.
Make sure that /etc/passwd is mode 444 (-r--r--r--) with an owner of root and group of other.

Makre sure that /etc/shadow is mode 400 (-r--------) with an owner of root and group of other.

passwd -r files <username>
Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it possible to write a script to reset user's password?

Is there anyway that I can reset user's password using a script/ssh command? ie. emulate passwd command with a default password of abc123 or even null value? > ssh server1 pwdadm user1 < /dev/null or > ssh server1 passwd user1 < /dev/null neither worked for me.. but you know what I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pdtak
1 Replies

2. Solaris

LDAP user password reset script

Hey all, I'm looking for a script to auto-generate a password for users that forget their password. Currently, we are using a perl script (with cgi-bin) where users update their password, but would like to add to this and make it so that the users can also request a password reset and a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: em23
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable To Change a User's Password

I am trying to change a user's Password, but I get the error "Password Cannot be changed; see account Administrator". Yet I am logged in as root. I also cannot access the Accounts Manager facility when SCO when using System Administration screen Error "Unable to get initial list of users" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Waitstejo
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Unable to change password for a user.

I am getting the following error message "passwd: User unknown: username" Permission denied error message when trying to change the password for that given user account. The user account is within the /etc/passwd file and I can also su to the account without any problems. This is sever is not... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: eckmanb
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to Remote Reset Password for User ?

Hello, everyone i have a little scenario and would like help , SCENARIO OS : SunOS 5.10 Shell: KSH UserName 1 connects to Server1 .He should run a little command or somthing to server2 that Resets the password of user2. i have tried this : ssh user@server2 '/usr/local/bin/sudo passwd... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shatztal
0 Replies

6. Solaris

how to Remote Reset Password for User ?

Hello, everyone i have a little scenario and would like help , SCENARIO OS : SunOS 5.10 Shell: KSH UserName 1 connects to Server1 .He should run a little command or somthing to server2 that Resets the password of user2. i have tried this : ssh user@server2 '/usr/local/bin/sudo passwd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shatztal
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to change password using root user

Hi, I tired changing password for mqm user in linux server with root user. But still I couldn't able to login mqm user with changed password. Can anyone please help on this. # passwd mqm Thanks, Anusha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anusha M
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

User password reset

Hello - I want to reset user password in multiple server via root ID. I have passwordless authentication for root between all the servers. I an use loop to reset the password. I am using below command in loop echo mypassword | passwd username --stdin However, if anyone sees history - he... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Giving password reset access to non-root user, in LDAP

Hi, We have two LDAP servers. Whenever we get a ticket to reset the password, we login to LDAP primary server and reset the password. For below example, I logged into primary LDAP server and resetting password to john to Welcome123# We are giving this work to tier-1 team, so that they can reset... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ron323232
1 Replies

10. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Password sent via reset password email is 'weak' and won't allow me to change my password

I was unable to login and so used the "Forgotten Password' process. I was sent a NEWLY-PROVIDED password and a link through which my password could be changed. The NEWLY-PROVIDED password allowed me to login. Following the provided link I attempted to update my password to one of my own... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rich Marton
1 Replies
VIPW(8) 						    System Management Commands							   VIPW(8)

NAME
vipw, vigr - edit the password, group, shadow-password or shadow-group file SYNOPSIS
vipw [options] vigr [options] DESCRIPTION
The vipw and vigr commands edits the files /etc/passwd and /etc/group, respectively. With the -s flag, they will edit the shadow versions of those files, /etc/shadow and /etc/gshadow, respectively. The programs will set the appropriate locks to prevent file corruption. When looking for an editor, the programs will first try the environment variable $VISUAL, then the environment variable $EDITOR, and finally the default editor, vi(1). OPTIONS
The options which apply to the vipw and vigr commands are: -g, --group Edit group database. -h, --help Display help message and exit. -p, --passwd Edit passwd database. -q, --quiet Quiet mode. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shadow Edit shadow or gshadow database. ENVIRONMENT
VISUAL Editor to be used. EDITOR Editor to be used if VISUAL is not set. FILES
/etc/group Group account information. /etc/gshadow Secure group account information. /etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow Secure user account information. SEE ALSO
vi(1), group(5), gshadow(5) , passwd(5), , shadow(5). shadow-utils 4.1.5.1 05/25/2012 VIPW(8)