Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris gcc & linker question (Solaris 10) Post 302232762 by Celtic_Monkey on Friday 5th of September 2008 06:25:54 AM
Old 09-05-2008
gcc & linker question (Solaris 10)

Hi,

I'm confused about the GCC & Linking process could somebody please briefly explain?

I have GCC 3.4.6 installed from SunFreeware. Reading the narrative alongside the package states "It was compiled to use the SUN assembler and loader usually in /usr/ccs/bin if the SUNW developer packages are installed."

SUNW developer packaes are installed and ld / as / ar are in the relevant /usr/ccs/bin directory.

I also have the GNUbinutils package installed which installs ld / as / ar in /usr/local/bin. this /usr/local/bin dir precedes / usr/ccs/bin in my $PATH.

When installing third party applications, i commonly see:
./configure \
--with-gnu-ld \
--with-gnu-as \
which i specify & the applications install and work okay, however:

checking config.log shows

Reading specs from /usr/local/lib etc etc etc
Configure with: ../configure --with-as=/usr/ccs/bin/as --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin

whats going on?

Thanks

Nick

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

CC LInker Error UNIX Sun Solaris

Hi Together, while compiling my program with CC I get the following Error message from the Linker: Undefined first referenced symbol in file std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nik
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Emacs & GCC not installed by default?

I just installed SUSE Linux 10.0 on my computer but when I typed " emacs & " and " gcc -c main.c" in the terminal, those programs couldn't be found. So the Linux install package does not install those programs by default? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whutes
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

gcc question

Hi, I am trying to compile a .c file but in the pre-processor directives I want to include a file that I have put together myself (#include "file.h"). How can I accomplish this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanchopansa
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gcc & make error- Help please

Folks; I'm trying to install gcc-3.4.6 & install SWIG tool on Solaris 10 (Sparc), but when i try to run make for gcc i got this error below: make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-gcc' and when i try to run "make install" to install swig, i got this error: *** Error code 2... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: moe2266
10 Replies

5. Programming

XWindows programming + gcc linker options

Im trying to compile some code that involves using X-Windows based functions (XDisplayName() and XOpenDisplay() ), however each time I run the compiler, Im getting a problem with the linker. The linker says that both XDisplayName() and XOpenDisplay() are unresolved text symbols. Is there a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Building cdrkit on Solaris 8 generates a linker problem

I'm trying to build cdrkit-1.1.9 but have the same problem with 1.1.6 as well. The reason I need cdrkit is that it has an extended Joilet that mkisofs doesn't have but if anyone has another program that can provide this that might be a work around I can use. The problem I'm having is when I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dxk3355
1 Replies

7. Programming

GCC: Choose my own linker

Hi, I do not use the default linker, and instead us another one and pass this argument -Wl,--dynamic-linker=<path to linker> to gcc when compiling. However, what happens if the linker is not under /lib and /lib64 and I am not able to create a symlink to the linker in /lib or /lib64 due to no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shompis
2 Replies

8. Programming

gcc linker address

Hai, I have two (Pgm1.c and Pgm2.c) simple programs, which is compiled using gcc. Now we have two exe's (Pgm1 and Pgm2). When i executed the nm Pgm1 and nm Pgm2, in the listed symbols the address of main is same for both programs (08048344 T main) at run time also. Doubt: 1) What is this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajamohan
3 Replies

9. Programming

Gcc linker search path order

I have a build where I wish to link against and load a specific version of a library and a different version of the same library is installed on the system. I'm using a -L option to point to the version that I wish to link against but gcc still seems to choose the installed version. Is there a way... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Richard Johnson
4 Replies

10. Solaris

I am new & I have a question about patchadd in Solaris 11

Hi guys, I am really new to Solaris. My question is about the patching package management. Now I was provided some old packages within that there are hard-coded codes written with commands like "patchadd", so anyway I can make them work with Solaris 11? Cheers! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ethanzhou
8 Replies
lint(1B)                                             SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands                                             lint(1B)

NAME
lint - C program verifier SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/lint [options] DESCRIPTION
/usr/ucb/lint is the interface to the BSD Compatibility Package C program verifier. It is a script that looks for the link /usr/ccs/bin/ucblint to the C program verifier. /usr/ccs/bin/ucblint is available only with the SPROcc package, whose default location is /opt/SUNWspro. /usr/ucb/lint is identical to /usr/ccs/bin/ucblint, except that BSD headers are used and BSD libraries are linked before base libraries. The /opt/SUNWspro/man/man1/lint.1 man page is available only with the SPROcc package. OPTIONS
/usr/ucb/lint accepts the same options as /usr/ccs/bin/ucblint, with the following exceptions: -Idir Search dir for included files whose names do not begin with a slash (/) prior to searching the usual directories. The directories for multiple -I options are searched in the order specified. The preprocessor first searches for #include files in the directory containing sourcefile, and then in directories named with -I options (if any), then /usr/ucbinclude, and finally, in /usr/include. -Ldir Add dir to the list of directories searched for libraries by /usr/ccs/bin/ucblint. This option is passed to /usr/ccs/bin/ld. Directories specified with this option are searched before /usr/ucblib and /usr/lib. -Y P, dir Change the default directory used for finding libraries. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. FILES
/usr/lint/bin/ld link editor /usr/lib/libc C library /usr/ucbinclude BSD Compatibility directory for header files /usr/ucblib BSD Compatibility directory for libraries /usr/ucblib/libucb BSD Compatibility C library /usr/lib/libsocket library containing socket routines /usr/lib/libnsl library containing network functions /usr/lib/libelf library containing routines to process ELF object files /usr/lib/libaio library containing asynchronous I/O routines ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ld(1), a.out(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 lint(1B)