Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: boot from a pendrive
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers boot from a pendrive Post 302232697 by era on Friday 5th of September 2008 02:54:09 AM
Old 09-05-2008
Like with any hard drive, you can mark partitions as bootable with fdisk or a similar tool. Whether or not a particular machine will actually boot off that depends on the machine's BIOS and settings. New hardware tends to have a quick splash screen immediately after you power on where you can pick your boot device; on older hardware, you might have to go into the BIOS settings to specify which devices to boot from, in which order of preference. Older hardware still simply does not boot off USB devices. (And older still won't even boot off a CD.)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cannot boot - Boot : Panic : File size out of range (EWS-UX/V unix)

Hey ! I am running EWS-UX/V (Rel 4.2) on NEC EWS/4800/330 station and I am having problems rebooting my station : I am getting the following message on display : BOOT : PANIC : File size out of range. According to user guide, this error is occuring when a file exceeding the limit and/or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredo
2 Replies

2. Solaris

solaris boot problem boot error loading interpreter(misc/krtld)

When I installed the SOLARIS 10 OS first time, the desktop would not start up, this was because of network setup. Reinstalled worked. After a week due to some problem I had to reinstall OS, installation went fine and but when i reboot I get this error. cannot find mis/krtld boot error loading... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: johncy_j
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

helo how to mount pendrive on redhat 9

helo my sysem is running on redhat 9. now i want to take data from redhat 9 pc to pen drive. but when i plug it it is not detected. can u tell me how to mount pendrive on redhat9. amit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files unto a usb pendrive/external disk from Solaris 9

Hi all, Can anybody help me with how I can connect a usb pendrive or external disk to a Sun Server which runs on Solaris 9? I am able to connect the usb drive to a windows server easily and copy files but am wondering if it is possible to do that with Solaris. Any help will be appreciated. thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahmantanko
3 Replies

5. SCO

mount the pendrive on the unixware 7.1.4

please let me know how to mount the pendrive on the unixware (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepthi.s
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to acces my pendrive in linux

Hi Gurus, in linux I am unable to access my pendrive(i am even not seeing the icon or location for my pendrive ). Please anyany could help me to get rid of this issue. regards, Sanjay :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay.login
4 Replies

7. Slackware

Which USB pendrive image to install Slackware on an old AMD K6 3D ?

Holla, I have been trying to install a recent distro, with a minimum X such as jwm, but unfortunately my cdrom is broken and I can only boot the USB port, with a pendrive. AMD K6 3D is today too old for being for linux. Is there an image of slackware than runs that processor and that can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raptor34
5 Replies

8. Boot Loaders

Reboot and Select Proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key

Hello, I have kubuntu on my laptop and now I decided to switch to Windows 7. I made the bios settings properly (first choice is boot from cd\vd) but I see the error " reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key " I have tried CD and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpf
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris x86 installation using jumpstart does not local boot ( boot from hdd)

I am trying to install Solaris x86 using the Jumpstart server. I run the add_install_client command with appropriate options, and reboot my x86 Target box. The installation starts fine and unattended. After the installation completes and the target goes for a re-boot, it does not boot from the HDD... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemalsid
9 Replies

10. Linux

LM 19.1 from pendrive

I've "installed" LM 19.1 to a PNY 16Gb(2.0) pendrive. I have a few issues that I'd like to resolve. First and foremost, the O.S. experiences "lagging" issues and to a lesser degree, freezing. Example: Complete "boot-up" (from start to complete "home" page) can take upwards of 7 mins. Then when... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: 69Rixter
10 Replies
GPTZFSBOOT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					     GPTZFSBOOT(8)

NAME
gptzfsboot -- GPT bootcode for ZFS on BIOS-based computers DESCRIPTION
gptzfsboot is used on BIOS-based computers to boot from a filesystem in a ZFS pool. gptzfsboot is installed in a freebsd-boot partition of a GPT-partitioned disk with gpart(8). IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
The GPT standard allows a variable number of partitions, but gptzfsboot only boots from tables with 128 partitions or less. BOOTING
gptzfsboot tries to find all ZFS pools that are composed of BIOS-visible hard disks or partitions on them. gptzfsboot looks for ZFS device labels on all visible disks and in discovered supported partitions for all supported partition scheme types. The search starts with the disk from which gptzfsboot itself was loaded. Other disks are probed in BIOS defined order. After a disk is probed and gptzfsboot determines that the whole disk is not a ZFS pool member, the individual partitions are probed in their partition table order. Currently GPT and MBR partition schemes are supported. With the GPT scheme, only partitions of type freebsd-zfs are probed. The first pool seen during probing is used as a default boot pool. The filesystem specified by the bootfs property of the pool is used as a default boot filesystem. If the bootfs property is not set, then the root filesystem of the pool is used as the default. zfsloader(8) is loaded from the boot filesystem. If /boot.config or /boot/config is present in the boot filesystem, boot options are read from it in the same way as boot(8). The ZFS GUIDs of the first successfully probed device and the first detected pool are made available to zfsloader(8) in the vfs.zfs.boot.primary_vdev and vfs.zfs.boot.primary_pool variables. USAGE
Normally gptzfsboot will boot in fully automatic mode. However, like boot(8), it is possible to interrupt the automatic boot process and interact with gptzfsboot through a prompt. gptzfsboot accepts all the options that boot(8) supports. The filesystem specification and the path to zfsloader(8) are different from boot(8). The format is [zfs:pool/filesystem:][/path/to/loader] Both the filesystem and the path can be specified. If only a path is specified, then the default filesystem is used. If only a pool and filesystem are specified, then /boot/zfsloader is used as a path. Additionally, the status command can be used to query information about discovered pools. The output format is similar to that of zpool status (see zpool(8)). The configured or automatically determined ZFS boot filesystem is stored in the zfsloader(8) loaddev variable, and also set as the initial value of the currdev variable. FILES
/boot/gptzfsboot boot code binary /boot.config parameters for the boot block (optional) /boot/config alternative parameters for the boot block (optional) EXAMPLES
gptzfsboot is typically installed in combination with a ``protective MBR'' (see gpart(8)). To install gptzfsboot on the ada0 drive: gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0 gptzfsboot can also be installed without the PMBR: gpart bootcode -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0 SEE ALSO
boot.config(5), boot(8), gpart(8), loader(8), zfsloader(8), zpool(8) HISTORY
gptzfsboot appeared in FreeBSD 7.3. AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
gptzfsboot looks for ZFS meta-data only in MBR partitions (known on FreeBSD as slices). It does not look into BSD disklabel(8) partitions that are traditionally called partitions. If a disklabel partition happens to be placed so that ZFS meta-data can be found at the fixed off- sets relative to a slice, then gptzfsboot will recognize the partition as a part of a ZFS pool, but this is not guaranteed to happen. BSD
September 15, 2014 BSD