Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tricky Quotation Question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Tricky Quotation Question Post 302232498 by era on Thursday 4th of September 2008 03:12:54 PM
Old 09-04-2008
Code:
eval variable=\${$parameter_number}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Tricky File Permission Question

I'm trying to answer the following question about file permissions in Unix. Consider a file with the following permissions: rwx---r-- I am not the owner of this file, but I am a member of the group of this file. My question is: do I have read access to this file? I thought... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hook
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tricky script question

Hi, I'm in the midst of writing a UNIX script that sftp's files to an external host and am stuck with a problem. The problem is that the files created on my server as a order number that correlates to a sequence of directories on the remote host which is where the file should be ftp'ed. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: budrito
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tricky sed or awk question

Hello everyone, unfortunately I am no unix nor scripting guru, which is why I am asking for help here. I am trying to reformat a .csv file using sed or awk which has the following format: a,b,C-D-E,f,g h,i,J,k,l m,n,O-P-Q-R-S,t,u v,w,X-Y,z,a It's basically a 5-field text file which has an... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: awayand
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Another tricky sed or awk question

This post is in reference to https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/137977-tricky-sed-awk-question-post302428154.html#post302428154 I am trying to go the opposite direction now: I have the following file: a,b,C,f,g a,b,D,f,g a,b,E,f,g h,i,J,k,l m,n,O,t,u m,n,P,t,u m,n,Q,t,u... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: awayand
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

quotation mark use

Hi colleagues, I am development a script. this flat file pp.txt contain this tree lines. prueba prueba1 prueba2 cat pp.txt |awk '{print a}' |while read a do var=`db2 select count(*) from $a`" echo $var done executing var show me error. I need var contain: db2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: systemoper
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tricky GREP question..

I have some large login files that I need to extract (user)@(server) from. Where it gets tricky is that there is usually more than one '@' sign on each line(although it does have a leading space if it's not part of the (user)@(server) string), I need only the (user)@(server) section, I need only... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mordaris
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PHP parsing quotation

Delete the post. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tricky BASH quoting question

I have some data files that I can identify by a certain pattern in the names using find. Every one of those data files has an XML file associated with it (can be multiple data files per XML file). The XML file is always up one directory from the data file(s) in a folder calledRun##### -... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question regarding quotation syntax

Hey guys, my first post on UNIX Forums(much overdue IMO)! I've got this bit of code that doesn't seem to be working correctly for an Android app I'm working on: "screen -S gmod1 -p 0 -X stuff " & "" & command.text & "`echo -ne '\015'`""" Basically it types command.text(variable determined... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stingwraith
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add double quotation to Output

tail -n +7 1.txt |head -n -2|awk '{print "sql", $1,"-c groom table " $5 ,"versions"}' sql DB1 -c groom table T1 versions sql DB2 -c groom table T2 versions sql DB3 -c groom table T3 versions but i want out should be sql DB1 -c "groom table T1 versions" sql DB2 -c "groom table T2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocking77
3 Replies
eval(n) 						       Tcl Built-In Commands							   eval(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
eval - Evaluate a Tcl script SYNOPSIS
eval arg ?arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Eval takes one or more arguments, which together comprise a Tcl script containing one or more commands. Eval concatenates all its argu- ments in the same fashion as the concat command, passes the concatenated string to the Tcl interpreter recursively, and returns the result of that evaluation (or any error generated by it). Note that the list command quotes sequences of words in such a way that they are not further expanded by the eval command. EXAMPLES
Often, it is useful to store a fragment of a script in a variable and execute it later on with extra values appended. This technique is used in a number of places throughout the Tcl core (e.g. in fcopy, lsort and trace command callbacks). This example shows how to do this using core Tcl commands: set script { puts "logging now" lappend $myCurrentLogVar } set myCurrentLogVar log1 # Set up a switch of logging variable part way through! after 20000 set myCurrentLogVar log2 for {set i 0} {$i<10} {incr i} { # Introduce a random delay after [expr {int(5000 * rand())}] update ;# Check for the asynch log switch eval $script $i [clock clicks] } Note that in the most common case (where the script fragment is actually just a list of words forming a command prefix), it is better to | use {*}$script when doing this sort of invocation pattern. It is less general than the eval command, and hence easier to make robust in | practice. The following procedure acts in a way that is analogous to the lappend command, except it inserts the argument values at the start of the list in the variable: proc lprepend {varName args} { upvar 1 $varName var # Ensure that the variable exists and contains a list lappend var # Now we insert all the arguments in one go set var [eval [list linsert $var 0] $args] } However, the last line would now normally be written without eval, like this: | set var [linsert $var 0 {*}$args] | SEE ALSO
catch(n), concat(n), error(n), interp(n), list(n), namespace(n), subst(n), tclvars(n), uplevel(n) KEYWORDS
concatenate, evaluate, script Tcl eval(n)